Wednesday, August 12, 2026

A big fish story

We had a very brief visit with my sister-in-law, Karen, and niece, Melissa, yesterday. It was wonderful to see them, especially Melissa. She lives and works on Whidbey Island in Washington state, so we don't see her nearly as much as we'd like. Yesterday was her last day in Raleigh, and although we stressed to her that she shouldn't feel any obligation to try to see us this time, she (and her mom) insisted. They ended up driving almost six hours total (round trip) to spend only three hours at our house! Melissa's flight home was at 6am this morning so they couldn't stay any longer than that. Gregg and I were both touched that she made such an effort for us. 


George and Poppy adore Melissa

Melissa works as an environmental legal expert for Whidbey Camano Land Trust, which is kind of her dream job. She stays in a beautiful little cabin on the island that looks like something from a fairy tale, and spends most of her free time outdoors, hiking and swimming and backpacking and having adventures. Karen made her tell us a story about an experience she had earlier this year that I wanted to share here.

So, one day back in the spring Melissa was out paddle boarding in the ocean with a friend. They were about 30 or 40 yards offshore, not very far, but the tide was high. A bunch of seals were swimming around them, which she said was cool because they're friendly and harmless. But then, all of a sudden, the seals disappeared and everything got really still. It seemed strange. 

Just when she was starting to wonder why things felt so strange and why the seals disappeared......an orca whale swam up beside her! It was up at the surface, not breaching but with its uppermost parts sticking out of the water, and it was less than 10 feet from her! Can you imagine?

Of course, being Melissa, she said she stayed calm and watched it until it disappeared beneath the waves. She said she didn't really feel nervous (until after it was over) and just watched in awe as the giant swam beside her. Then, just as quickly as it had arrived, it was gone. 

This will be a cherished memory for her for the rest of her life. As for me, I think I'd have had a heart attack on the spot! 

31 comments:

  1. Jennifer that's such a funny, sweet photo of Melissa with your boys and WOW on that story! Your title is funny but I totally believe it of course, just amazing. This young woman certainly sounds like she's got her act together! PS. I went back to 2010 on here and read that list of 30 things about yourself. It was funny and interesting. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, this isn't a great photo of Melissa. She's actually beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because I love her! She just glows with good health (and youth), you know? And she's incredibly smart--a law school graduate who passed the bar exam way up in the 99th percentile. Best of all, she's kind and decent.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer that's most impressive! She sounds like a real winner in life, no wonder you're so proud of her. 🙂

      Delete
  2. We think of Orcas as being kind gentle creatures, but they do overturn quite big boats (and paddleboards). I would say she was lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a story! No wonder the seals disappeared - they are an orca's favourite food! Like you, I would have had a heart attack on the spot.
    Melissa sounds like a wonderful young woman who has it all - beauty, intelligence, grace and kindness. It's great that she and her Mum came to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as she got to the part about the seals disappearing, I though, "Uh oh" but I was thinking sharks, not whales!

      Delete
  4. That story! It makes your heart skip a beat! Melissa seems like a very accomplished young woman and how wonderful she wanted to make time to see you. What a wonderful job she is doing. I am glad she is living her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how quickly she grew up. When I was first dating her uncle and met her, she was in preschool. Gosh, that makes me feel old!

      Delete
  5. What an incredible experience, and how lovely that she and her mother made the time and effort to visit you. You are as special to them as they are to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Gregg has a soft spot for his sister and her daughter. And so do I.

      Delete
  6. Yep, I would have been right there with you with a heart attack. Amazing (and to survive the encounter). So kind of them both to make that trip just to see you. We just had our feelings hurt by some family we thought we were very close with. They wrote to say they’d be all over Spain next year with their niece (our great-niece) whom we haven’t seen in years even though her parents have been in Europe with them many times since we moved here, and wondered if we’d like to meet them either on the day they arrive in Madrid or their last day before they depart. Just the day. It’s a 4 or 5-hour drive. We feel like we don’t rate. Must admit we’re crushed. But, sorry to be a downer on your wonderful, happy post. Back to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mitchell. I'm so sorry. That really stinks. I wouldn't drive that far for people who treated me like an afterthought. Their loss.

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous experience Melissa had! You'll nevert forget that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fsr more adventurous than I could ever be!

      Delete
  8. OMG, the orca! What an awesome up-close and personal encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great that they took the time to come for a visit! I love that photo of her at your house. She is living an exciting, adventurous life and I'm glad she was safe from the whale. Sounds too scary for me! Will you and Gregg ever visit her? I bet it would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregg doesn't like flying, but Karen and I keep talking about flying out to visit one day soon. I would love to see the Pacific Northwest and having Melissa there to visit will probably be my best opportunity.

      Delete
  10. I was stationed in Seattle for a year and have sailed by Whidbey Island. Washington is by far my most favorite state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to fly out there one day soon. I'm sure Washington is beautiful!

      Delete
  11. It's funny how many people I know, either in real life or via this virtual one, who have connections with Whidbey and Camano Islands and that area in general. I have to say I would NEVER, EVER paddle board in the Pacific due to the fact that, well, first of all, I've never paddle boarded and no doubt never will, and secondly because something exactly like that might happen.
    But I wish I was that type of person. I admire Melissa greatly.
    And that picture? Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Small world sometimes! :) I'd be hesitant to paddle board on a lake, and would never be brave enough to do it out in the ocean. No way José! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter and granddaughter went swimming (they are at the outer banks this week). They found themselves 50 feet away from a pod of dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter was recently on Whidbey Island for work (at the naval base). She got off early one day and went driving around the island. Said she couldn't wait to go back, it was so beautiful. Love your niece's amazing experience with the orca--but think that once in a lifetime experience will probably be enough. Brilliant and scary all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure that whale was trying to decide whether or not she was edible! Bravo to her for maintaining her cool. That's a great picture of the dogs with Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs really loved her! I've heard that her 2-year-old nephew, Joseph, is in love with her too. :)

      Delete