It's subtle, for the most part. A shift in the angle of light in the afternoons, slightly later sunrises. The green of the vegetation outside my window looks older, tired. Several days of lower humidity even though it's still hot. Summer won't last forever.
Some signs are NOT subtle. I took these pictures at Walgreen's and Sam's this weekend:
As much as I look forward to autumn, in my opinion it's way too early to be thinking about Halloween. But that's retailers for you. Always on to the next opportunity to sell us something.



I like the vintage-look black-and-orange Halloween cat in the first photo. Makes me think of Halloween decorations when I was a kid!
ReplyDeleteThat's my favorite, too. And shameful as it is to admit, I love candy corn!
DeleteI'm a summer person for sure...I love the longer days, the heat and the warmth of sun on my skin. Not sure why more people don't like summer, especially after many hate winter and always complain how long it last. It does seem like it last longer than any other season.
ReplyDeleteAnd while Halloween is my favorite holiday, I don't need to see any of it till 3 weeks before Halloween. Hell, I have seen Christmas out already!!!!!!
Summer is miserable in South Carolina, and we have mild winters so down here it's not strange to hate summer.
DeleteThe signs of fall come later here, still steamy hot. But I doubt it that will hold back Halloween!
ReplyDeleteWe have plenty of hot weather still in store, but hopefully things will be less humid soon.
DeleteI live in Michigan and have always said the 1st of August is the start of fall. It is uncanny that on the very first day of that month, the morning is radically cooler (this am, it was 67 degrees) and there is just a different feel to the air. Yes, there will be more hot days but even the smell of the air outside (disregarding Canadian smoke) is different.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I see August first as the start of fall, too. The equinox is mid autumn.
DeleteWe walked into our local Lowes a month ago and it was all Halloween.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, BEFORE the Fourth of July????
I like Summer, too, though when it's long stretches of unbearable heat and humidity? That's why we escaped to the mountains several times, to beat the heat!
The mountains are a nice getaway in the summer months!
DeleteAs someone who doesn't ever really buy any sort of holiday decorations, I find the whole thing absurd. Costco has their stuff up too. And why, and HOW do people manage to pay two hundred dollars for a figure that is motion-sensor activated who looks like Dracula and makes scary sounds? I simply do not understand.
ReplyDeleteI wonder the same thing. Those things are so tacky and at $200 they just seem ridiculous.
DeleteMy grandsons start school next week. The years fly by.
ReplyDeleteThey sure do. Kids grow up fast!
DeleteHalloween is massively over-hyped by the stores. They're trying to make it as big as Christmas.
ReplyDeleteAnything to make a buck!
DeleteHalloween is my birthday, and it's 3 months away! Shouldn't retail be focusing on kids clothes and Back to School?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great birthday! And I wondered the same thing about the back to school supplies.
DeleteSeeing Halloween stuff in stores in early August would really piss me off.
ReplyDeleteNo wonder so many people wish their lives away when the shops are touting goods greatly in advance of the season. Still, they have to make money or go under.
ReplyDelete