There's a big family event coming up next week up in Raleigh, NC. My late mother-in-law's husband, Lou, is turning 90 years old! His son and daughter have planned a large party to celebrate and of course we were invited. You'd never guess he's ninety years old. While naturally he's slowing down some, he still functions like a healthy seventy-something. Drives, plays golf, lives alone with minimal help, and is still pretty mentally sharp. He never seems to change much as the years keep rolling by. If only we could all be so lucky, huh?
Gregg's brother and sister-in-law will be driving up from Jacksonville (Florida) for the party, and his niece Melissa is flying in from Washington state. His sister Karen and her son and his family live in Raleigh, so of course they'll be there already. Coincidently, Karen shares a birthday with Lou, which is part of the reason her daughter and brother are traveling so far to be there. Lou has his own big family from his first marriage (he was a widower in his 60s when he married my mother-in-law): grown children and grandchildren and in-laws and old family friends.
Unfortunately, Gregg and I decided to send our regrets and not go. The biggest reason is that Gregg will be starting some major dental work a few days prior to the party, and he's likely not going to feel up to it. It's a three-hour drive away, no fun even without a sore mouth, and large social gatherings really aren't his favorite thing to begin with. He's also going to be somewhat self-conscious about his smile until the dental work is complete. I'm sure Lou will understand.
We will get to see Karen and Melissa, though! When Melissa heard that her favorite uncle wasn't going to make it up to Raleigh, she made a plan with her mom to drive down to see us for a few hours the day before she flies home. I can tell Gregg's really pleased about it. And there's a pretty good chance that at some point next weekend his brother Gary will stop by on his way up or down I-95 (Florence sits right alongside I-95 and there are two exits within a mile or so of our house). It will be good to see any or all of them!
This morning I mailed birthday cards to Lou and Karen, since they share the same day: August 4th. I hope they make it in time.


Happy Birthday Lou and Karen! How wonderful to be turning 90 and to be in such good health, enjoying life! I am glad you have family stopping by. Dental work is no fun at all. The cards are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe're looking forward to seeing family, especially put niece Melissa who lives and works on Whidbey Island, Washington. She's clear across the country so we don't get to see her nearly often enough.
Delete*our* not *put* Damn autocorrect on my phone! Lol
DeleteHappy Birthday Lou! Jennifer I sure am sorry you and Gregg can't go, it sounds like a real shindig. I hope his dental work isn't too severe. But that sounds awesome you guys have family coming to see you. Good to hear from you on here. 🙂
ReplyDeleteThe plan is to rent a large event room at a local park and to have North Carolina pulled pork BBQ (Lou's favorite) catered. There will be loads of people there, most of whom we won't know and don't really care to see, so we're not too sorry to miss it.
DeleteI'm sorry y'all are going to miss the party but I definitely understand.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Lou and to Karen.
I'm so lucky to have in-laws I love so much. I miss my mother in law terribly.
DeleteThe Big Nine Oh is a real milestone -- Happy Birthday, Lou! And good luck to Gregg with his dental surgery!
ReplyDeleteMy father lived to be 92 and still lived on his own.
ReplyDeleteMy mother's great grandmother lived to be 99 and lived on her own until she passed and had a side job driving the bus for the assisted living facility when they planned outings for the residents.
Lucky people staying active so long; I think that's the key.
splendid news! Good for him I say! 💪🏻
ReplyDeleteWishing them a great birthday celebration. Do you suppose there will be 90 candles on his cake? (Not likely.) Wishing Gregg well with the dental work.
ReplyDeleteYour post reminded me of my own mother, who will be 92 in October. I think the key is to stay active. I hope Gregg's dental work goes well. No fun.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Lou and Karen. It's sad that you're not going to the celebration, but wise, in the circumstances. I hope the dental work goes smoothly.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Lou and Karen. Glad you will get to see some of the family. Hope Gregg's dental work is quick and painless.
ReplyDeleteI perfectly understand your reasons for not going AND not feeling too sorry about it. It will be lovely to have family visiting!
ReplyDeleteMary, my mother-in-law in Yorkshire, is 92. She has health issues and would not be able to still live on her own if it wasn‘t for daily visits from a nurse to make sure her blood sugar level is under control, and for my sister-in-law checking in on her almost daily, doing all her shopping formher and so on, but she still gets herself up in the morning, showers and dresses, makes herself cups of tea throughout the day and small meals - more than many younger than her can do.
It‘s admirable to see people in their 80s and 90s still managing reasonably well.
It's a shame you can't go, but I'm sure the family will understand. Dental work is no fun!
ReplyDeleteShame about the dental work, but 3-4 hours is really a long drive.
ReplyDelete