Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Woe is me!

I had a follow up appointment with the dentist yesterday and found out I needed a root canal. The filling in my molar was very deep and close to the nerve, and an infection had developed. 

They called in an antibiotic for me to begin taking last night, and this morning I was scheduled for the root canal at 8:00. 

The procedure went well as far as pain is concerned; I was comfortable throughout. That was the only thing that went right, though. It turned out to be such a complicated root canal that after two hours of trying the dentist decided he had to stop and refer me to an endodontist (with more specialized equipment) to finish. What luck, huh?That appointment isn't until the 20th of this month, but I have a temporary filling and crown on the tooth to protect it. I also have the antibiotic to finish. 

I'm in a lot of pain tonight which I hope is temporary. If it continues to hurt like this I'll be going BACK to the dentist and I'll be honest with you, I've had my fill for awhile! 

28 comments:

  1. Dental woes are so painful and tiring. Even when we take care, it seems that teeth will do what they want. I hope it goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, Jennifer. I've had my share of root canals but don't recall any lasting too long with the pain afterwards. Keeping my fingers crossed yours lets up very, very soon. 🤕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently some root canals can be complicated by curved, twisted, or extra long and thin nerves that are hard to get to without special equipment and training. My dentist did the right thing by referring me when he saw he couldn't be sure of getting all the nerves cleaned out properly. This is all stuff I've learned today!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh. I 'm so sorry. I hope you can get this taken care of with as little pain as possible and it will soon be a distant bad memory. And I am sorry that you seem to be spending so much money on all this dentist stuff instead of something fun (and pretty much anything would be more fun than this!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually processing a refund for today's work (I'd prepaid the full amount for a discount) so I won't have to pay for it twice, thank goodness. The refund will cover the cost of the endodontist.

      But yeah, we're spending a small fortune on not-so-fun stuff.

      Delete
  4. Root canals in molars can be difficult if the canals are small and hard to clean out. Sounds like your molar is continuing to abscess in the non-cleaned out root canal(s). That's why it's painful. Keep taking the antibiotics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the situation, Debra. He got most of the canals cleaned out, but some were so small and curved he just couldn't get them. I will keep up with the antibiotics! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. That sounds awful, Jennifer! I am so sorry and hope that by the time you read this, the worst of the pain is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I was so upset yesterday, but today I feel better.

      Delete
  7. Oh for f**k's sake. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was shit, but today has been better.

      Delete
  8. Dental issues can be the worst. Hopefully the new appointment fixes it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dentist basically cleans and fills. An x-ray should have shown your dentist exactly how deep the cavity was and it's proximity to the nerve. I'd suggest finding a new dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's actually pretty good, it was an unexpectedly difficult tooth. Apparently some dentists won't admit they can't quite finish a root canal and will just put on a crown and hope for the best. Of course, that can lead to trouble later. I appreciate that he was honest about it and immediately refunded my money to cover the cost of the endodontist finishing the work.

      Delete
  10. Oh no! Just what you need more dental issues. Hope the pain goes away, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pain is mostly gone today, Ellen. I am thankful.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself yesterday! Today has been better, though.

      Delete
  12. Oh no! I hope the pain has subsided. When I had a root canal done on my back molar several years ago, it didn't go well either. I can live with the results, but I still occasionally get twinges of pain in that tooth. I think the dentist just didn't get all the root nerves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not getting all the root nerves out is exactly what my dentist is afraid of, Steve. I appreciate his honesty about that. He wants to make sure it's really well done before he places the permanent crown to avoid potential trouble in the future. They're even refunding the cost, which will cover the endodontist finishing the work.

      Delete
  13. "I've had my fill" HO-HO-HO! I think you mean "I've had my filling!" God must have been distracted when he dreamt up human teeth. And you have to pay for the torture too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry, love. How awful. I hope the pain settles to a dull roar or goes away completely. If it doesn't, they'd better give you some damn good drugs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete