Thursday, January 17, 2013

Productive day

Yesterday was a good day.

I got some things done around the house I'd been putting off for months, most of which ended up taking very little time and effort. I'm beginning to notice that I may have a wee problem with procrastination. Check out what I managed to accomplish in one day (with free time left over in the afternoon). What was I waiting for?!

1. Two phone calls I made yesterday (to change our Internet service provider) will save us over $100 per month. Another call (to set up direct deposit of my paycheck, two years after getting hired) will save another $12 in bank fees per month, not to mention the hassle of depositing the check each week.

2. I've been doing without a needed prescription since before Christmas because I wasn't sure what to do with the paper script the doctor gave me. Any long term medicines I take are provided via mail order, 3 months at a time, by my insurance company. Since I couldn't just pop down to the pharmacy to have it filled, I put off doing anything. It ended up taking less than 5 minutes on the phone with a representative and then dropping the script in the mail. That's it.

3. I finally raked our front yard. I procrastinated with that because I thought it would be a hard job. We have three large pine trees and an old oak that had dumped what looked like pounds of leaves and straw on the ground. But when I finally got started, it turned out to be kind of pleasant. The weather is still nice and warm, and the exercise felt good. It took about an hour, and our yard looks so much better. I'm sure our neighbors (most of whom have perfectly maintained lawns) are beside themselves with joy.

The best part of the day came last. I went downtown in the afternoon to do some shopping. While I was out, I ran into a casual acquaintance who made my day. She said, "Wow, have you lost weight? You look thinner. What have you been doing?" I nearly hugged her right there on the spot!

I need more days like yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sound of your raking; a job that looks good when finished always gives pleasure. Everything that needs raking here is under a foot of snow. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete