Monday, December 15, 2014

Tipsy fruits!

After searching for weeks for the perfect traditional fruitcake recipe, I ended up feeling overwhelmed with all the possible variations in methods and ingredients.  Since no one recipe seemed just right, I finally decided to wing it and come up with my own version, with a little help from my vintage (40's and 50's era) cookbooks. I don't know yet how it's all going to pan out (pan out! ha!) but I've got about 6 pounds of good quality dried fruits and nuts marinating in brandy. I'll be baking the cakes tomorrow, and I sure hope they're not failures. If they are, they'll be expensive failures.

Soaking up the holiday spirit!

The dried fruits and nuts I chose:

Tart cherries, golden raisins, cranberries, apricots, dates, pineapple, candied lemon peel, figs, pecans, and walnuts.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks sooo good on its own! If you've got any to spare or left over, I'd be mighty tempted to make a parfait or sundae (or British whipped cream "fool" even) with it.

    Mmmm, Christmas flavours! :)

    Happy baking!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Magnon always used to use the original Guinness Cake recipe, but has recently used Delia Smith's recipe. Many people swear by Delia, so maybe next year....

    ReplyDelete