Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday evening in springtime

Good Saturday evening, everyone! 

It's been absolutely gorgeous here today despite the pollen covering everything. We're  smack in the middle of pollen season (already!), meaning everything has been absolutely covered in a thick layer of the greenish-yellow stuff, but last night we got high winds and then a heavy rain and so (for the moment at least) everything looks washed clean and fresh. It won't last, but for a few hours at least the pollen was tamed.



Here's an actual image taken from the air off the coast of Myrtle Beach last week. Look at that massive film of yellow on the surface of the water!

Thank goodness that I didn't test positive for any allergies to tree pollen. My triggers were grass, dust, mold, cats, and dogs. People that are allergic to pine and oak are really suffering right now and I'm glad I managed to escape that, at least. I've been going faithfully for my weekly allergy shots for months now, so hopefully soon I won't react to anything anymore! 

The early spring progress continues. Early flowering trees like Japanese magnolia are past done and already getting a flush of new green leaves. Yellow jessamine is already rampant and wisteria has started to bloom. Even the daffodils are past their prime, and it's only the first week of March! 



I forget what these flowering shrubs in the front of our house are called, but aren't they pretty right now?

Another view:


Here's my newest finished garden project: a cage to protect the tender new crabapple leaves (once they appear) from hungry deer. It's firmly staked down with three metal garden stakes, and I think it should do the trick. Take that, deer!


Speaking of garden projects, a few of my tomato seedlings are almost big enough to pot up! The peppers didn't germinate at all, so I'll be trying again with those tomorrow.


The lettuce, radishes, and carrots are already sprouting in the raised bed. It won't be long before I'll have fresh salads to add to my daily lunches. I'm really excited about that.

Is it spring yet where you are? Or are you still buried in snow, ice, and frost? If so, I apologize for my photos. I'm not trying to rub it in, I promise!

Have a great weekend, everyone.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, Spring is a lot further along where you are . . . lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have cold and the accompanying snow, ice and frost. Your pots are lovely and will soon turn into the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pink bush looks terrific! Sorry about the allergies. Lucky me, I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have pollen like that in France from the Pine trees. Everything has a yellow powder coating, and all lying water has a ring of yellow around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink flowering shrubs look like a variety of azalea or rhododendron to me. I have looked up the difference between the two many times but can never remember!
    Spring is far ahead where you are. We have snowdrops and crocus and aconites, but not much else; catkins, yes, magnolia, not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we were ever buried in snow, ice, and frost here, it would probably be the end of the world. Beautiful spring photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be a nightmare for hay fever sufferers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are already way too hot although it did cool down last night which is heavenly. I can never remember the name of that plant either but I just looked it up. Chinese Fringe Flower or Loropetalum. It is beautiful, isn't it?
    As a lifelong gardener, I have to say that I think you have a green thumb, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No blooms here yet, altho, I do see the spears of my daffodils getting taller and taller. Illinois is a couple of months behind you, I think! You are really doing well with your gardening and I enjoy your enthusiasm, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Canada it's snow, snow and more snow. I actually made my first snowman in years yesterday. Your spring pictures reminded me that our turn is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know me, spring is almost here at my house. My Anna apple tree and my Santa Rosa plum are covered in blossoms. I like the beautiful rose/purple plant in your yard. I have two air purifiers (not expensive) in my house which remove pollen and dust, etc., have you tried that? The air purifiers were also a great benefit removing smoke from nearby wildfires not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound pleasantly upbeat Jennifer - maybe I should book in for allergy shots like the ones you have been having - even though I don't suffer from any allergies! I haven't had to mow our lawn yet - that's when you know that wintertime has finally gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pollen is wild! I don't have a problem with pollen either, as far as I know, which is fortunate. I think that bush with the pink flowers a fringe flower (Loropetalum chinense), which is related to witch hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see Ms. Moon beat me to it! I only know because I looked it up after finding one in front of a Starbucks in Jacksonville.

      Delete
  14. We are expecting five inches of snow this afternoon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish you luck with the flowering crab. That will be a joy to behold each year once it starts flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A trip to the doctor last week and she told me to stay indoors, don't open my windows etc, etc. The pollen is awful here. And, I just noticed my eyes look all puffy ... i like springtime but it doesn't like me.

    ReplyDelete