Saturday, July 8, 2023

The wedding gift

Our nephew, Tyler, got married this week. I'd been trying to come up with an idea for a wedding gift to send for several weeks now and not having much luck. They registered for a few household basics at Target, but the last time I checked, everything they had selected had been purchased. Plus, I wanted to give them something a bit more meaningful than towels or Tupperware. I finally hit on an idea last week after seeing a Facebook post Jessica made in which she asked friends and family to share recipes with her.

My dear late mother-in-law and Tyler's grandmother, Edythe, used to make the most wonderful little fried cornbread fritters for family meals. She used a simple recipe passed down from her mother and grandmother, and she always fried them in a cast iron skillet. (She had two or three cast iron pans and loved cooking with them, and her cornbread wouldn't have been the same without them!) 

So today I ordered a good quality, 12-inch cast iron skillet with a lid (along with some accessories) to be shipped directly to the newlyweds' home. Separately, I'm sending a nice card with a letter tucked inside, and in the letter is the recipe for Tyler's family cornbread. 


The skillet will be wonderful for all kinds of cooking and baking beyond just cornbread, and as long as it's cared for properly it should last forever.  And even better, the recipe will remind Tyler of his "Grami" and will (hopefully) make Jessica feel welcomed into the family!

45 comments:

  1. My iron skillets and a few pots are my pride and joy. Some I have had for over fifty years which seems impossible and yet, there you have it. I love that recipe! Could it be more simple? I think not and I the fritters it makes are delightful. Are they buttered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never put butter on them, since they were fried in oil.

      Delete
  2. I think that is the most prefect and thought gift you could give. And very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be useful to them for years to come!

      Delete
  3. What a unique and thoughtful gift! It's the kind of thing that will continue to mean something to them for their entire marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that is the nicest gift!! A good cast iron pan just keeps on giving! Great idea and the recipe sounds like I probably ought to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have a cast iron skillet, too. Maybe I'll order one for myself!

      Delete
  5. Good for you! The most used and appreciated wedding gifts are like yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect idea for sharing a family recipe and tradition as your wedding gift. The cast iron skillet will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My late mother-in-law would be so happy for Tyler and would welcome Jessica warmly into the family! I wish she could be here to see them.

      Delete
  7. Such a thoughtful gift. I have a cast iron skillet, corn meal in the pantry, it's been a while, but I'm now in the mood for hot water cornbread, what Edythe called fritters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! Fried cornbread would make a great meal almost by itself!

      Delete
  8. It‘s a great gift, and I am sure it will be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative and clever! What a great gift and one that will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was happy with the idea I finally landed on.

      Delete
  10. Such a clever and kind idea. That was great brainwave you had there Jennifer. Congratulations to Tyler and Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe Tyler is a grown man and married! He was an awkward teenager just a minute ago...

      Delete
  11. That's a gift with personal meaning and those are the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, especially coming from family.

      Delete
  12. I'm sure they will treasure it, Jennifer! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think all my grands and my son are waiting for me to die so they can fight over my cast iron skillets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. See, this is a perfect, thoughtful gift that means something. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great wedding gift. Plus the recipe is one of those things that I'm sure they will cherish. I have 2 antique cast iron pans. Both over 100 years old, and I've had them for almost 45. But the 12" just developed a crack (all the way thru) and is now unusable. I ordered a Lodge to replace it and am happy with it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jennifer, that is such an incredibly thoughtful gift. I know that they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wedding coming up yourself, don't you? :) Congratulations!

      Delete
  17. Thank you! "Bastard Bread" is a great name! haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I do. I am starting to get nervous about it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the luck in the world, Michael! Congratulations!

      Delete
  19. Something robust is always a lovely gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good cast iron skillet and lid will last forever if they take care of it. And they'll be able to fry, bake, etc. in it. It's supposed to be delivered today, and the letter should arrive today, too. I'm anxious to hear if they like it!

      Delete
  20. What a great idea! They will be using that skillet when they are old and gray. Not many wedding gift last a lifetime. The recipe was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely idea. My aunt gave me a recipe book when I married in which she had written some of her favourite recipes and household tips. I've added recipes from friends over the years and it is now a precious memory of good meals and much-loved people.

    ReplyDelete