Sunday, April 14, 2024

Stop and take notice

My workload has really kicked into high gear since returning from spring break. There's a big push to get final state funds spent as well as paying off all outstanding invoices by May 1st, and also lots of field trips and end of the year activities that must be arranged and paid for. I like being busy, but dislike looming deadlines (especially when I'm still in the first-year learning process). Next year will be much easier because I'll know what to expect.

My first day back last week was sad. I heard that one of the nurses I worked with at the last school had died suddenly over the break. She was only 34 years old, with a husband, a five-year-old son, and a three-year-old daughter. It's terribly tragic and was a huge shock. She collapsed out of the blue one afternoon and died several hours later at the hospital, and I don't think the cause of death has been confirmed yet. I feel so bad about this; she was a lovely young woman and a friendly, kind coworker. Her husband is devastated, and I feel so sorry for her babies. It's hard to accept that life is just like this sometimes. 

That being said, I think this meme I found the other day is worth sharing with you. This is what I've been pondering this week.


Things I'm stopping to notice and enjoy today:

  • A pair of bluebirds have a bunch of nestlings in the box out back and watching them feeding and caring for the babies is a joy.
  • Hummingbirds have returned and are taking advantage of the new nectar feeder.
  • My tomatoes are planted and the pole beans Mary Moon gave me are growing like mad. Soon the peppers will be big enough to plant out, and the melons should sprout any day now. The pomegranate tree is covered with flower buds and the blueberry bushes, while still small, are loaded with berries.

  • Today makes two years since Poppy came home! Happy Gotcha Day to the sweetest little girl ever. She makes us (and George!) so happy.


  • Fresh local strawberries, the first I've bought this spring. So sweet and delicious.


  • I've made some little friends at work. They're two groups of siblings who stop by the office every morning now to say hello and give me hugs when they get to school. They make me laugh regularly and seeing them always gets my day off to a nice start. I call them "the little wildlings"!


Anson, Emogene, Lucas, and Ethan. The Wildling Crew.

So, dear reader, what are you stopping to notice and appreciate about your life right now? What will you look back on and miss 20 years from now?  Time is short, my friends.


17 comments:

  1. Twenty years from now I will be dead so what I will miss is life itself and of course my little grandchildren. Very sorry to hear about the sudden death of your colleague and my heart goes out to the two little children who must now grow up without a mother to love and care for them. What's it all about Alfie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you shouldn't count on being dead in twenty years. Granted, you'll be...what? 90? I just read about two local men celebrating their 106th and 104th birthdays, and both are still "all there" mentally and not too bad physically considering their ages. You just never know.

      Delete
  2. The Wildling Crew is awfully cute! So sad about your former coworker the Nurse. That's very young to pass away so suddenly, no wonder everyone is in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shock about your friend. That is very young. Turning 80 has hit home and I really enjoy every day. Right now the sun is shining as I look out at some autumn colour. Good to be alive and I hope to still be fit in 20 years time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How heartbreaking about your coworker and her family. 20 years from now? I shudder to think. Those kids would make any day better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I won't be 101. Lovely meme for every day for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bad legs, so I would love to leap about, go for a five mile walk, and ride my bike, all without any pain, just as I did 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right - sometimes life is just like that, but of course knowing that does not make it any less sad or tragic for the young family. When Steve died completely out of the blue, the doctor who examined him and wrote the death certificate told me that this unexpected kind of death happens a lot more often than most people are aware of. It is like cot death for adults - it just happens. Maybe it was something like that with your former colleague.

    You know how much I enjoy every day, and even just looking out of my kitchen window at the three-coloured lilac tree who sends waft of scented spring air in my direction was pure joy this morning, as well as listening to bird song outside my bedroom window first thing waking up.

    In 20 years, I hope I won't be missing my walks, because I hope to still be able to do them - and even more, since I'll be retired then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful post, Jennifer. It IS important to realize that each day has sweetness in it and that not paying attention to the small, joyful things is wasteful. As with the nurse you worked with- we just never know. I, too, feel so sorry for her husband and her children. Life is incredibly cruel sometimes.
    So yes- notice and enjoy the bluebirds and the growing beans, the first strawberries, the darling children that come to see you every morning.
    I hope you have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right about celebrating joy in our lives now. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great meme. Certainly true! I also heard about the death of a long-ago friend this week, and it was sobering news. You're right about paying attention and enjoying what we have while we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that 20 years from now advice. A couple times recently I've said "these will be the good old days some day." Happy Gotcha Day to Poppy. We call it Pup a versary at our house. It is a sweet day to celebrate no matter what we call it. Shocking about the sudden death of your young co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quote. It is so incredibly true. I have started taking photos on my walks of things that give me joy, and of things that I want to remember. It is a great way to appreciate the simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I'm lucky enough to be alive in 20 years, I'll be in my early 90s. I still ride a bike and walk now, so that's what I'll miss. And that's what I'll make sure to enjoy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that sentiment. Thank you, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete