Friday, July 17, 2026

Strays

So, we're still feeding the feral mama cat and two of her original four kittens that I wrote about previously. 

The two little tabbies disappeared a while back, but the others are still around and growing up fast. I know we shouldn't encourage feral strays that we can't afford to keep, but we can't stand to think of them going hungry or not having fresh clean water to drink. 

I mean, just look at this cute little cat family:



The kittens show up twice a day, usually accompanied by their mama, and wait by the fence for us to bring out some Meow Mix. The youngsters back away while we put the food out, but they're getting bolder by the day. Mom, on the other hand, never runs and prefers to stand her ground when we approach. She usually growls or hisses a little at us, too. (Some gratitude! Ha!) 

Here she is on her favorite place to hang out, a tiny concrete bench over on my neighbor's side. When I took this photo she was opening her mouth to hiss at me....


...but the hiss quickly became a yawn instead. :)








32 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

The bench seems to be made perfectly for mama!!!! They are awful cute, and I'm sure they are grateful for the handouts and the water, in this heat too.

Susan Heather said...

Cute kittens and I love the little bench with the rabbits.

Librarian said...

Like you, I wouldn't be able to let them go unfed and watered, unless I knew they actually do have a home (which they don't in this case).
Mama Cat is certainly not to be messed with!!

Moving with Mitchell said...

That bench was built for her. I have a feeling you’re going to have some local, devoted cats in your future.

Michael said...

You are a good person to help that cat family. I am very allergic to cats so I have never really had any interaction with them. I remember years ago we had neighbors who had outdoor cats and they were going to be gone for a week on vacation. They asked me to feed their cats. They had bowls that were outside. One day, as I was feeding them I thought to myself, "Maybe cats aren't so bad." I reached down to pet one of them thinking I'd go in the house and wash my hands immediately. The minute I touched the cat, it clawed me. I had scratch marks up and down my arms. Whenever I hear a cat hiss or see it in print, like I just did on your post, I think of feeding those cats!

jabblog said...

They are such pretty kittens. Life would be difficult for them without you to look after their needs.

Bob said...

Good on you for sharing food, and especially water, with the cats.
I'd keep them all, even Hissing Mama!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I would definitely feed them too. And I love your neighbour's little bunny bench!

Boud said...

I there any chance of catching and neutering? Some vets do a special rate for this kind of situation. You're good to be feeding them all.

Dave R said...

You do know they're going to tell all of their friends and soon you'll have more. I have a friend who does that and now has been 30 and 40 cats and kittens showing up regularly. But then he also captures them, has them neutered, and then releases them.

ApacheDug said...

Love that little feral family, thank you for giving them food and water Jennifer! That hissy mama... too funny, love the little bench she adopted! 😂

Anonymous said...

Try to trap and get them neutered before they all have more kittens. One cat can produce more than 100 kittens in its lifetime.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! Maybe she changed her mind and decided not to scare you off, the food-bringer! I wonder if there's a cat charity or a vet who could offer some assistance in getting them spayed/neutered? If you feel like taking that on...

I saw your message about your friend on her cruise. Is she on the Celebrity Constellation? That's our ship. Our cruise ends tomorrow in Rome.

Jennifer said...

I just checked and no, sadly, she's on a ship called "Enchanted Princess".

Debby said...

I have never understood the mindset of people who seem to be able to walk by a suffering creature and turn a blind. eye. This applies to people as well as animals. I am glad you are you.

Jennifer said...

If the numbers start to get crazy like that, we'll consider traps for spaying and neutering. But we dread the thought of how much trapping them would frighten them, so for the moment we're waiting to see how things pan out. Two of the kittens have already disappeared. Plus several of our neighbors put out food and water for strays, too. So far these are the only three that show up at our house.

Jennifer said...

Yes, it's been so terribly hot and dry that we make sure they have fresh water available at all times.

Jennifer said...

Isn't it cute? Looks like it was made for mama cat!

Jennifer said...

We have plenty of contacts who could help us get good rates for spaying and neutering. :)

Jennifer said...

Gregg worries about them almost more than me. We both have very soft hearts for animals.

Jennifer said...

I'm well aware. Thank you.

Jennifer said...

She lays on it every single day!

Jennifer said...

It's just some cheap kibble and water, but I do think they're bigger and healthier than they would be without it.

Jennifer said...

Haha! Cats are too funny. I'm actually allergic to cats too. I take allergy shots for cats and the other things I react to.

Jennifer said...

We enjoy watching them pounce on and play with each other. Free entertainment!

Jennifer said...

She's a VERY protective mother even though the babies are almost as big as her now!

Jennifer said...

Mama Cat has taken the bench for her own!

Jennifer said...

Yes, the heat and dry conditions were our first concerns for them. We always make sure fresh water is available.

Ur-spo said...

I know ferals fed are like feeding frenzies but I would do likewise.

MELODY JACOB said...

It is completely understandable that you can't bear to let them go hungry; it’s impossible to look at those little faces waiting by the fence and not want to help. Even if Mama is still giving you the tough-guy routine, the fact that the youngsters are getting bolder by the day shows they know exactly who the good neighbors are. Have you noticed them starting to explore the rest of the yard, or do they strictly stick to their designated fence-side restaurant?

Jennifer said...

So far they're exploring the trees (climbing so high we're afraid they'll get stuck!), exploring the neighbor's porch, and disappearing into the large hedge on the back of the property for several hours. But they show up for us to feed them at least twice a day. And in the heat, they lounge around in nearby shade.

Jennifer said...

We love the spunky mama cat with attitude. She's SO sweet to her babies but so fierce with people! So far no cats really show up at our house but her and her two kittens. Other house in the neighborhood have stray cats, but these are apparently "ours".