Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wild lilies

One of the best things about the house we're currently renting is the fact that it used to be owned by an old couple that loved gardening. All these years later, surprises keep popping up to make us smile.

Maybe it's all the rain we've had, but for the first time in the 3 years since we moved in, these beautiful white lilies have appeared in our back yard:



 
 

 
 



These little wild beauties have a subtle sweet fragrance, and would make nice cut flowers. What a pleasant surprise! I just adore lilies.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I get so excited when something shows up that I didn't plant. Mysterious things pop up in the gardens, either blown in on the wind or survivors of the compost pile. It's always a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an absolutely lovely surprise for sure! Lilies are such a beautiful, peaceful flower. I think think they look especially beautiful in a wedding bouquet (I've seen some photos of 1920s and 30s bouquets with lilies that were just stunning).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jessica, that they look lovely in wedding bouquets! They also symbolize motherhood. A dear friend of mine is about to give birth to her second child, and I wish she hadn't moved 1000 miles away....I would love to present her with a big bouguet of these lilies! Sigh. :)

      Delete