Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Catching up

The last couple of weeks have been difficult for me. Although I don't mention it very often, I'm a person that struggles occasionally with depression and anxiety. Last week was very stressful for me and resulted in several days where I felt so anxious that my skin was practically crawling. I hate that feeling of barely controlled anxiety; the pounding heart, the cold sweats, the tossing and turning in bed at night (I turn insomniac whenever I'm in one of my states). There's also been some depression, too, although I'm thankful I didn't even come close to feeling rock bottom as I have in the past. About three weeks ago I started taking my antidepressant medication again, and I imagine that my blood levels are readjusting to it again, hence the troubles I've had. And today I woke up feeling a little bit lighter. I think maybe everything is finally leveling back out.

As for the job I interviewed for last week, I didn't get it...but, one of my references (a teacher named Susan who's a personal friend of mine) called me on Friday to tell me that they had called her to ask about me. She gave me a wonderful recommendation, or, as she put it "I practically told them that you hung the moon and stars, all by yourself!" which was wonderfully nice of her. They told her that I was tied with one other candidate for the job, so apparently my lack of Excel skills wasn't that big of a deal after all. Yesterday they called to tell me that they had decided on the other candidate, but they wanted me to know that they were impressed with me and that it was a hard decision to make. I suppose I should have felt bad about it, but I didn't. Their little "test" had left a rather bad taste in my mouth and I had almost decided I didn't want the job anyway. I'll just continue to look for another opportunity.

As for today, I am off work. I'm off tomorrow, too, and tomorrow night I'm hosting the August book club meeting for the Welcoming Club. Since I don't have a lot of room at my house (the group is rather large) I'll be hosting at my friend Marian's house. After I finish doing some housework this morning I'll go shopping for the refreshments I'm making. This month we read The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende. It was pretty good. Certainly not the best thing I've ever read, by a long shot, but entertaining enough. I'll review it later this week on the blog. I really need to start writing book reviews again, it's been long while since I posted one here. It's not been for lack of reading, but rather, lack of time. Book review blog posts take much longer to write than the ordinary what-I've-been-up-to sort.

Speaking of time, I'm grateful I finally have some to sit here with a cup of coffee and catch up with all of you this morning! For over a week now I've barely been able to find a few extra minutes to read blogs, much less comment on them. I can't wait to see what everyone's been up to!



10 comments:

  1. I think there is another job out there with your name on it that is ideal for you. The Excel test was a bit out of left field. I hope your week is a good one and that the medications work smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. Your beautiful card arrived today and cheered me up so much! ♡

      Delete
  2. Sweet dear, thank you for speaking so candidly about what you've been going through lately. I don't have chronic depression, but anxiety has been a silent passenger in my life from day one, so I can certainly relate to challenges and impacts that such has on one's life (and sleep!). I'm deeply sorry that you have to face these conditions.

    Here's to the hope that the second half of August is much, much kinder to you on the health front and that a great new job comes your way soon.

    Gentle hugs & tons of understanding,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does George jump up and sit on your lap? I always find a few minutes in close contact with my dog makes me feel a whole lot less stressed; animals are far better than chemicals.

    I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. One will come along when you least expect it; I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger and George are my very best defense against sadness. They bring me so much joy!

      Delete
  4. I agree with what Cro said. Sorry you didn't get the job.
    Cuddle one of the gud dugs sweethearts and feel better.
    I don't sleep very well also if I am lucky 4 hours is a good night, I have to use an oxygen machine and although it help with my headaches my sleep hasn't got better.
    I hope that soon you will find a job, God knows you deserve one.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear about your sleep troubles. A good night's sleep is essential for good health and a positive outlook.
      Thank you for the sweet comments.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that you get a bit down sometimes. As far as jobs go, you were probably saved by not getting the last one. I am sure that one which really suits you will turn up soon - things tend to go like this, and positivity seems to create more positivity (but who am I to talk!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! Funny you should mention positivity creating more positivity...I've been thinking along those same lines myself just recently.

      Delete