Thursday, February 22, 2024

Thursday morning this & that

Did I mention that I'm off work this week?

It's February intercession and the schools in our district are closed. It's nice to have these extra breaks in February and October, not connected to any holiday. This will be the last time I have a whole week off to myself, because after next week my husband will be retired.

He's looking forward to it and I'm really happy for him. The dogs and Marco are going to love it! Nothing makes them happier than to have one or both of us at home with them. Poppy has followed me everywhere this week, even to the bathroom. She sleeps curled up tight against me every night. George isn't nearly so clingy, but he likes it when we're around, too. 

Poppy has this thing she does when we get home from work: she takes a running leap across the threshold of the back door, and lands on the sofa six feet or so away. It's her way of expressing joy and excitement at seeing us again! Pretty soon she'll only be doing it for me!

Some of my tomato seeds have sprouted! Before Gregg left for work this morning, he pulled out an 3ft aquarium light fixture that I'll set up somewhere in the house for the tiny sprouts. The peppers still haven't made their debut, but they usually take longer anyway. And if all goes well, I plan to do some work in the garden this afternoon and also sow some lettuce seed. In addition to my standard lettuce Merveille des Quatre Saisons I got a free pack of lettuce seed with my Baker Creek order this year that looks really interesting: Yedikule. I'm really looking forward to fresh greens.

Here's a photo I wanted to share before I sign off. Miss Luella's tree next door is in full, magnificent bloom, and I got a close up of some of the flowers. They're so beautiful.



I spoke to one of Luella's daughters the other day, and the family is selling the house to one of her grandsons! His name is Evan and he's a lovely young man. We're so pleased that the house (and the glorious tree) will stay in the same great family! Evan and his girlfriend Stacy plan to move in next week. They're going to be wonderful neighbors!

17 comments:

  1. That tree next door! So glad it’s still going strong and that the grandson will be there to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a nice, well-mannered young guy. He'll make sure the property continues to be a credit to the neighborhood, and we already know that having him next door will be problem free.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the beautiful photo of the flowering tree! Glad you're going to have great new neighbours from the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tulip Tree, I had one in Laguna Beach, Lovely ! So happy you have such nice Neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always among the first trees to bloom here, and they steal my heart every spring.

      Delete
  4. I have a lovely magnolia as well but I'll have to wait another 6-8 wks. before it flowers. Miss. Luella would be pleased to know her grandson will be moving into her house. I love when houses get passed down to family. It doesn't seem to happen that much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such a wonderful, close family! We were just thrilled when we heard that her grandson would be moving in. That tree is beloved by the family and is at least 60 years old. One of our fears was that strangers would buy the house, move in, and decide to cut the tree down. All of our immediate neighbors are wonderful...we're very lucky!

      Delete
  5. Such good news about your new-neighbors-to-be. How sweet and perfect. Just like that magnolia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that Evan and Stacy are not into heavy metal music - blasting it out from horn speakers until two in the morning. It seems quite unlikely but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnolia is bloom already???? It's only February!!!! Beautiful, none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to know you have more good neighbours coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful news about Miss Luella's house, and the tree already in full bloom in February is amazing (probably not for your part of the world).
    Your seeds sprouting already must be exciting - maybe you could do a run and leap to the sofa like Poppy to express your joy and excitement :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post is filled with happy news, Jennifer, and I am so glad for you (and Gregg).

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a pleasure to read about you starting your own seeds from quality supply, and to see the glorious tulip magnolia in your neighbors yard. My grandmother had the same one just outside her kitchen window, and it was like a long spreading wedding dress when it was in full blossom...with the same deep pink reverse. Wonderful *sigh* Now as for living with a retired husband? Man, I'm dreading that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When my husband retired I thought I would lose my mind. I was a stay-at-home wife and having someone there going in and out, asking non-stop questions, needing this and that about drove me crazy. I hope your experience is much better than mine was. It's a big adjustment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is nothing as joyful as coming home to a dog with its love for you.

    ReplyDelete