Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Double jab, hoarders, and Halloween lights

Every year about this time our school district offers employees a free flu shot. I always take it, and usually have no aftereffects other than a sore arm. Monday was the day. This year was a bit different than usual, because the pharmacist giving the shot had brought along Covid boosters to offer as well. I was super happy to get both at once and have it all done. I also read somewhere that getting a flu shot and Covid shot at the same time is thought to boost the effectiveness of both. It was something about a more vigorous antibody response. I think that's probably accurate, because for the first time ever I felt like crap after a vaccination. I developed a low-grade headache, muscle aches, and a feverish sort of feeling that lasted from late Monday afternoon until this morning. That never happened to me with either of those vaccines alone before!

I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon. That's a good thing, because I had to go all over town trying to find toilet paper! Yes, toilet paper. Since yesterday afternoon everyone around here has been suddenly buying up and hoarding toilet paper along with other supplies. I had to ask around to find out what the hell was going on.... apparently, the port strike has people in a panic about supply drying up and they're rushing out to grab everything they can get their hands on, with toilet paper being the number 1 (ha!) thing they're desperate for. It's crazy! I don't know if that's mostly around here or all along the east coast. Gregg and I were literally on our last roll of toilet paper (!!), and I had to go to three places to find any after work today. People are being the same jerks they were in the pandemic...buying up far more than they need and stockpiling it. The girl ringing me up at the dollar store (where I eventually found some) said that one woman had just been in and spent $140 on toilet paper!! People are ridiculous! Not to mention selfish and thoughtless. I bought enough to get my house through a week or so and left the rest for others. Hopefully someone didn't swoop in after me and empty the last of the shelves, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they did. People just tend to suck sometimes, don't they?

Since this week has been a bit...bleh...I decided to order myself something cheap and cheerful on Amazon so I'd have something small to look forward to. It got here today: a string of bright purple and orange Halloween lights! 



The original plan was to string them up around our little front porch area to welcome the trick or treaters, but I like them so much on the mantle (along with some of the other Halloween junk I had Gregg drag down from the attic) that I might end up keeping them there and ordering some more for the porch. They were only $10, and they're making me smile.


6 comments:

  1. My Covid/flu shot did me in this year. A week and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what else for a mere $10 brings that kind of happiness and joy? Besides $10 worth of chocolate, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd gotten them together but I was too afraid of the aftereffects. People can be so self-centered, not to mention stupid. TP is a domestic product and doesn't come in through the ports. Hope you are getting along OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're due for our double shots. I haven't had a bad reaction yet so I hope the trend continue!
    I am loving the purple lights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the occasional reaction to the flu shot, but never the Covid. Toilet Paper? I thought you were going to say you were low because kids had bought it all to TP houses for Halloween. People are so really uninformed it will take months before the strike creates a TP shortage. Nice lights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Oh. I'd not heard about the run on TP. I'd better check to see if hoarding has reached this area.

    ReplyDelete