Gregg is continuing to heal, and while he despises the "immediate" dentures (just as he was warned he would), things are better by the day. Food is still something of an issue, but that's getting better too. He's moved on from mashed potatoes, applesauce, and yogurt to things like soft scrambled eggs and bites of grilled cheese sandwich dipped in soup. He's still taking an antibiotic but has almost quit taking pain medication entirely. (Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and good wishes, by the way).
I'm feeling a bit stir crazy at the moment. I hate to admit it but I'm sick of hanging around the house day after day, only leaving for work or necessary errands, and trying to help keep things cheerful for a man who's in pain and having a rough go of things. I'm used to periods like this in our marriage, and I know that he'd be right there for me if our situation was reversed, but I could still really use a break. I feel guilty about that, but it's the truth.
One way I've passed some of this boring time is helping my friend Karen write postcards to Texas voters. She's been hosting weekly postcard writing parties at her house this month and several of our book club friends attend. I haven't made it to any of her Sunday afternoon gatherings, but I did go over the night before Gregg's dental procedure (he was working late) and helped write some. I also brought home 50 names on the Texas Democratic voter rolls and some blank postcards to write. It always feels good to know that I'm helping get out the vote. It's my small way of contributing to the cause. During the 2024 election I personally hand wrote and mailed about 600 postcards to swing states.
For those of you who may be wondering, Postcards to Swing States (and other political postcard writing campaigns) are not trying to change anyone's mind about who to vote for. They're meant to encourage folks who usually show up to vote for the Democratic primaries to vote, period. Preference is given to people who didn't vote in the last election. When and if you vote is public record; how you vote is not, of course. So we're not trying to sway MAGA, we're encouraging and reminding registered voters (that probably lean Democratic) to vote.
God, how I hope James Talarico wins in Texas.
That's most of the news from my house. I'm sorry I haven't been more present on others' blogs lately! Things have been simultaneously boring and busy, if that makes any sense.

No comments:
Post a Comment