Friday, June 15, 2012

Berries!

It is a beautiful morning here in my little corner of the world! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the humidity is low, and the world is full of green growing things.

And we have blueberries!!!

Loads and loads of big fat berries nearly bursting with juice (thanks to all the rain we've gotten this year) are ripening quickly. Our friends are making dates to come berry picking. Our families, too. Just this morning I went out at dawn and picked a quart of the biggest, juiciest berries I could find and sent them to the family of GB's doctor friend. He's going to their house to service their aquarium today (which is how he became friends with them). We can never thank the husband enough for all the wonderful care he gave/arranged/oversaw for GB while he was so ill.......but his wife and kids love blueberries, so blueberries they shall have in abundance!

 Everyone else has to come pick their own, though :)

We have only been eating the berries fresh so far. I'm thinking that a dinner of blueberry pancakes, accompanied by real maple syrup and spicy pork sausage, is in our very near future! It's my favorite way to serve fresh blueberries. Followed closely by my grandma's blueberry cobbler.

Pictures and recipes to come!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I'm jealous. We have red currants ripening, but not exactly the same! And blueberries are SO GOOD FOR YOU too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could give you a bucket of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I've followed for awhile now. Thank you for your kind words. It is something I needed to hear. Bless you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete