Wednesday, November 27, 2019

First day of fall break


I woke up at 6:45am this morning with pink light streaming in my bedroom window. The sky looked so pretty that I immediately got out of bed and snapped a photo from the front porch.

It's good to be on fall break, finally. Thanksgiving falls really late this year. Once we go back to school on Monday there's just three weeks left until Christmas break will be upon us.

Today has been nice. I drank several cups of coffee on the porch first thing and watched the progress next door. The house beside us that's been for sale for some months now has finally been sold and the new owners are moving in. I saw a (probably) young woman out back with two dogs on leashes, but I haven't been able to get a real sense of what these new neighbors are like yet. I went out to do some shopping today and picked up a box of assorted cookies from one of the local bakeries, and Gregg brought home a package of dog treats from the pet store. I plan to take them over tomorrow as a little "welcome to the neighborhood" gift. I do hope they're decent people; we're doing what we can to get off on the right foot with them. The jerk behind us is plenty as far as bad neighbors go! Wish us luck.

While I was out today I stopped at a garden center/gift shop to have a look at their year-round Christmas items for sale. Nothing I saw inside was of much interest to me but I enjoyed walking around the outside and looking at the plants for sale.





We still have a lot of color left in the trees around here, as you can see.

Oh! And Gregg's birthday picture is framed and hanging on our wall. I picked it up last night on my way home from work:


Tonight he's working late like he usually does on Wednesdays, but once he gets home it will offically be a holiday! I'm having wine while beginning to prep some of the food for tomorrow's meal. We'll be having roast turkey, gravy, cornbread dressing, cranberry mandarin orange walnut salad (the recipe I invented years ago), deviled eggs (I cheated and bought the pre-boiled eggs for convenience sake!) and canned corn and green beans. For dessert I'll be making some sort of apple dessert from scratch, most likely a crisp. Tonight I'll salt and season the turkey, make the cranberry salad, and bake a batch of cornbread for the dressing so that tomorrow our meal will be fairly easy to pull together. With a 16 pound bird we'll probably be eating turkey until Christmas....I'll have to be creative with leftovers!

And tonight makes 12 years that we've had our sweet girl, our Gingerbread. She showed up on our back porch the night before Thanksgiving in 2007.

Image may contain: dog
Puppy Ginger....Thanksgiving Day 2007.
 My sweet girl!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my blog friends here in the USA! I hope you all are surrounded by good food, good company, and lots of love tomorrow.


16 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Jennifer! I hope it's a beautiful one for you and Gregg. And good luck with the new neighbors. Maybe they'll end up being good friends as well as neighbors. Wouldn't that be lovely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to take it really slow on the friendship thing. I was once friends with people who lived next door to me and when the friendships went sour, it became truly uncomfortable to live beside them. I've been super cautious ever since! But good neighbors who are friendly but very private--like us--would be best.

      Delete
  2. I love the top photo and I love that Gingerbread just turned up at your back door 12 years ago. That makes me feel good about life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photo and sweet Ginger is adorable I just want to pet her !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an early riser and love those beautiful sunrises. I always take Billy for an early walk, and usually witness them en route. And it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend!
    The description of your meal is mouthwatering! I had no idea you can buy pre-boiled eggs. I sometimes boil a couple of eggs to quarter for salads or slice on sandwiches, but it is more a summer thing for me than autumn/winter.
    Wishing you all the best with your new neighbours! I am sure they will appreciate your friendly welcome visit and gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: That sunrise sky is breathtakingly beautiful!!

      Delete
  6. Great dawn photo and I love your painting gift to Gregg, so nicely mounted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Andrew - Gregg's picture looks great and the fact that it is an original makes it all the more special. To make peace with The Grumpies who live behind you may I suggest presenting them with a rescue puppy in a basket? Perhaps a Doberman. Happy Thansgiving to you Gregg and the dogs - not forgetting the master of the house - Lord Marco!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful sky! Good for you for getting off on the right foot with the new neighbors. Hope the cooking (and eating!) goes well and you have a great holiday. I love the photo of Ginger -- she was still very puppyish back then. Do you have any idea where she came from or what her backstory is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience above ! I realize you are not on my blog roster! I am fixing that today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your Thanksgiving went well. Love the statuary, would love one for my yard but am certain Big Seig would most likely pee all over it. And that painting looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy thanksgiving to you two, or five, as the case may be. That sunrise is stunning. And I think Thanksgiving this year was as late as it could be.

    ReplyDelete