Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Hey, You.

There have been some big changes in our home aquarium situation. We've had a Blood Parrot cichlid for years that stayed in a 55 gallon tank in the office at the old house, and in a bedroom here. This wasn't a fish we intentionally kept; rather, it was getting beat up in one of Gregg's client's aquariums and he brought it home to save its life. We fully expected it to die, but thanks to lots of care and attention, she came back from the brink, grew, and thrived. (We know it's a "she" because for several years she laid eggs monthly).

Gregg's felt bad for a while now that she's had such a limited space to swim in, and very little attention beyond water changes and daily feeding. Being tucked away in the back of the house meant that she was mostly ignored. To make up for it, he spent this past weekend converting our 120 gallon tank in the den into a new home for her (and setting up another 55 for the smaller schooling fish and plants that had to be moved out). Now this big girl is right in the middle of the household action, and she has 6 feet of space to swim around in. She seems pretty happy with all the extra room and attention!

You can hear the other parrot in the house asking for attention in the background. :)


A couple of weeks ago we finished watching all six seasons of The Americans and really enjoyed it. I'd been looking around for something else to watch, and lo and behold, on Friday night the third season of You had dropped on Netfix! I was so excited! It's been good catch back up with cute-but-creepy Joe and his latest obsession. Lots of fun. 

 


30 comments:

  1. She is such a pretty color! Does she have a name? It was fun to hear Marco in the background - almost like the fish was making that noise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't have a name, but I like Meike's suggestion of Mary!

      Delete
  2. It's odd. I don't know anything about fish, but she almost appears to be happy and smiley.

    ReplyDelete


  3. She is very pretty.
    Many years ago my brother and I had fish tanks. My brother had an Angel Fish that grew so big and would stick his face out of the water for some food. It died one day we think the Oscar Fish killed him. If we would have known about that we would have separated them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a very pretty fish and does look happy in her new tank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken us too long to put her in there. We should have done it ages ago!

      Delete
  5. I know fish don't actually smile, but this one looks like she is smiling :-)
    If I were to choose a name for her, it would be Mary (as in Bloody Mary, as in Blood Parrot - what an unusual name for a fish!).
    Netflix is currently dormant in my daily life; somehow, I just don't get round to watching more than the main news and an occasional documentary or Miss Marple episode on TV these days. But I am grateful for any good tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You is so much fun! Clever writing and enough humor to offset the violence....which isn't particularly bad, by the way. Give it a shot!

      Delete
  6. She really does look happy and is checking out her new home quite thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She’s beautiful and so lucky. And I’ll bet she knows it. And then there’s Marco. What about ME?!? I’m beautiful, too!

    We are soon to start up on the current season of You. Can’t wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO GOOD! I love Joe despite the fact that he's a sociopath!

      Delete
    2. Those for me are the best-written, best-acted shows... the ones where the lead character is awful and you still sometimes cheer for or sympathize with them.

      Delete
  8. She's a real beauty! How big is she?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love her fat cheeks! She's a beauty! Marco is LOUD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marco really is too loud a lot of the time. It drives us crazy!

      Delete
  10. What an interesting-looking fish! Really pretty color. Marco is not amused. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marco is never amused when he thinks he's not getting enough attention!

      Delete
  11. That was satisfying watching your Blood Parrot swimming contentedly in her new home. I have a small pond in my back yard which housed two extremely fast-growing Koi. I was dreading the winter because my fish tank has become too small for them and my pond isn't deep enough for them to over-winter. Two friends came to my rescue by offering to rehome them in their massive pond. I had that same satisfied feeling watching my Koi swim into their new, spacious home.
    I love "You" and will be watching episode 1 of the new season tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're having fun with "You"! :)

      Koi are lovely fish but they get BIG.

      Delete
  12. That fish looked as if she were smiling. That's a really nice aquarium set up. I like the moving grass. Hypnotic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gregg has created a lovely environment for Melania* and her lips look so kissable.

    *please forget Meike's suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could not get into You...but love the shit out of Ted Lasso.

    ReplyDelete