Saturday, May 20, 2023

Garden progress

My garden is coming along nicely. Two or three days of cool, rainy weather have done it more good than two weeks' worth of watering from the hose. There's just something special about rainwater!

My "living mulch" of marigolds is finally amounting to something:


"Marietta" is the variety name.



"Hillbilly Potato Leaf" will be the first slicing tomatoes we taste this year (probably). The plants are growing like gangbusters.


First fruit set honors go to the cherries, of course. Here are some tiny green "Mexican Midgets". I'm looking forward to having these in salads.


The cucumbers are coming along.


Four pepper plants are growing among the handful of carrots that managed to sprout. I never seem to have much luck with carrots.


Now that I'm finally harvesting lettuce, I made spots to plant two more peppers (both Datils) in the middle of the patch. The lettuce is a little late producing this year, but it's tender and delicious!




15 comments:

  1. Very Nice. I don't know if I'll do veggies this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grow a couple of tomatoes, at least! Easy care ones that you can add to a salad. Or one cucumber vine and a pepper or two. It wouldn't be much trouble, and think of the nice midsummer salads! :)

      Delete
  2. You almost need soil like pure loam for underground veggies like carrots and turnips and radishes. Turnips. How I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's it. And turnips! I love them too!

      Delete
  3. Everything is looking very lush, green and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your garden looks gorgeous! We plant our carrots in the fall for a spring harvest. Is it different there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have an almost perfect climate, everything seems so eager to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lettuce looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden certainly is coming along nicely. The air pressure helps plants thrive - when it rains they get helped along nicely. We water from a can when the air is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joy growing vegetables can be. My husband and I have always concentrated on flowers and were always surprised when we tried and failed with veggies. Your plants look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool temperatures (but not too cool) and dampness are definitely two pluses when gardening. I'm surprised the deer don't raid your lettuce patch! Or can they not get into your back yard?

    Our marigolds always get eaten by slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your skills at the gardening. I never was much of a gardener but my husband (when he was still with us) was and the kids got his growing talent. I guess I wasn't cut out to be a farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't generally like marigolds but I love those! The two tone and the orange are so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what splendid gardens! I am mad-jealous, especially for the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man..so great.. I need to start planting my herbs.

    ReplyDelete