Sunday, March 24, 2024

Birthday weekend

 

Nearby peach orchard in full bloom. 
(McLeod Farms, McBee, SC)

Yesterday was my birthday! I've been having a really nice weekend. First of all, this area is beautiful this time of year! How gorgeous are those peach trees? And here are blooming dogwoods at the end of my driveway (my neighborhood is full of dogwoods, wisteria, and jessamine at the moment):



We're still having some chilly nights, but my lettuce is coming along nicely. I planted it in a plastic kiddie pool this year to save space in the raised bed, and it seems to be working out well. I'm looking forward to fresh greens.


And of course, my tomatoes and peppers are getting big and will be ready for planting out in a couple more weeks (I hope).


On to birthday gifts! Gregg went shopping with me yesterday and I picked out three new bird feeders to hang in the back yard. We put them up this morning.


And my main gift was a really nice new grill! We bought it last week and Gregg spent hours putting it together one afternoon. Lots of cursing was involved. :)  It's the nicest grill we've ever owned and I'm excited to cook with it! We couldn't try it out yesterday because of rainy weather, but tonight we're going to break it in. I went by the butcher shop yesterday and had some thick, beautiful ribeye steaks cut (the price ended up being eye watering, but it's a special occasion, right?) and I also went to the farm stand and bought some Florida-grown corn on the cob, new potatoes, and zucchini. Tonight we'll have a small feast! :)


Of course, my birthday post wouldn't be complete without mentioning my birthday buddy Little P.! He turned 11 years old yesterday (I turned 49). I went out to eat Mexican food with him and his sweet mama earlier in the week. He's growing up so fast!

We always take a birthday selfie. It's a tradition.

His mom told me he's really into the video game called Fortnite, which I know absolutely nothing about, but it turns out you can buy gift cards for it and do.......something...with them. No clue, but I got him a Fortnite gift card and also an ice cream shop gift card for his birthday. He seemed thrilled! Video games and ice cream seem like a really good birthday gift for an 11-year-old boy. 

33 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday, Jennifer! And to Little P, too. He sure has grown up. What a smile. You have a “gift” for choosing gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that little guy. When we hugged goodbye he told his mom, "I'm going home with Mrs. Barlow!" and I said, "Yep, I'm taking your kid. You can have him back in a few days!" :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you and Little P, as always! You received some wonderful gifts -- enjoy your ribeye feast tonight! I see one of those new bird feeders is for hummingbirds -- they are so fascinating to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ribeye was delicious! Melt in your mouth....mmmm. As for the hummingbirds, they should arrive in SC any day now. Late March is when they start showing back up. I filled the feeder for them, so I'm ready!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to the two of you. Enjoy that array of perfect gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the feeders up yesterday, but so far only one tiny sparrow has shown up. Hopefully he'll go tell the others!

      Delete
  4. Nice Grill!!! Fortnite can be really fun, but it can also be expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't understand that video games cost anything to play (once you've paid for the game itself, of course). I have no idea what Fortnite is, except that kids seem to love it. I feel old! LOL

      Delete
  5. Love the blossom on that peach orchard. Happy Birthday to Little P. Lovely gifts all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a fabulous photo of the peach orchards? I love fresh peaches in the summer so that's something else to look forward to!

      Delete
  6. Sounds and looks like you had a nice birthday! Happy Birthday! Just wait till all the birds come in to dine. I'm still getting eaten out of house and home here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. I have the same pottery sun face with hands as shown a bit in your one picture! I love it.

      Delete
    2. I got that pottery sun years and years ago at Pier 1 Imports (I worked for them for almost a decade). Is that where you got yours?

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Jennifer, I wish you much happiness and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Jennifer. Great bird feeders and grill. Enjoy your birthday meal. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! The birthday steak was delicious. I can't remember the last time I had a steak, given the price of beef these days. I enjoyed every bite!

      Delete
  9. Belated Happy Birthday to you, my dear friend!
    Of course I love the selfie with Not-so-little P!
    Those tomato plants look like they can‘t wait to be out there in your garden, and I am sure you‘ll have a great feast from your brand new grill.

    I know I said I was going to send you a little surprise by email, and got started on it alright - then somehow events took over and I did not manage to finish it in time. We are currently at O.K.‘s for his Dad‘s funeral today. But I will email soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you, too, dear Meike! I'm sure the card I sent hasn't arrived yet because I was so late posting it, but it's on the way. I sure am sorry for the loss of O.K.'s father. Please pass along my condolences to him. Losing a dad is hard.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer, your beautiful card arrived yesterday - thank you!!
      Purple iris are among my Mum's favourite flowers, by the way. For years, she used a picture of one taken at the allotment for her avatar on various internet forums (not sure what she's using these days), and called herself "Iris" where her real name was not mandatory.

      Delete
  10. I was going to ask what the glass feeder was for, but I think it was answered by a comment.....humming birds?
    What a gorgeous smile Little P has.... Happy Birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hummingbirds! They should be arriving in SC soon.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday to you and Little P, Jennifer! Hope you both have fabulous years filled with good health and lots of fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that all sounds just perfect I am so glad that you got to have such a beautiful birthday and to hear that you and Little P. are still sharing the birthday love.
    Your tomato starts are SO far ahead of mine and yet- we've set ours out. I'm hoping that being out in the big world will encourage them to leap to attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy to hear you had a good birthday. I envy you that kiddy pool filled with lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely birthday from beginning to end. I'm going to copy your 'wading pool' lettuce gardens. My dog might just eat it all though. He happily ate all my cucumbers and tomatoes two years ago which caused me to swear off backyard vegetable growing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, yeah, Fortnite. It's been a thing for a while among the kids at our school. I have no idea how to play (or even what it looks like, really) which is fine with me. :)

    Glad you had a great birthday! Using a kiddie pool for a planting bed is a good idea. I never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your birthday celebration sounded great. Glad you enjoyed yourself. My students always talked about fortnight, and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful Birthday ! Gifts lovely but I so adore your veggies to plant ! The pool idea is lovely.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our best Peach trees were all in the orchard I planted up at the barn that we've now sold. I shall really miss them. Happy Birthday Jennifer !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too wish you a marvelous twelve months ahead! And I am mad-jealous about the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's just one thing. How will kids be able to use the paddling pool when it is filled with compost and lettuces? By the way, I hope you made some holes in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought that I'd commented! Happy belated birthday, Jennifer! (And yes...You got Little P just the right thing.)

    ReplyDelete