Sunday, March 17, 2024

Fun day planned (updated)

Have I mentioned that our nephew Tyler and his wife Jessica are having a baby? They're the ones who got married last summer. They're expecting a little boy at the end of May! The whole family is pretty excited.

Two weeks from now I'm headed up to Raleigh to attend the baby shower. Since Marla is a longtime friend of the family, she's going with me. We're heading up the afternoon before and staying the night. (The hotel I've booked for us has a really cool rooftop lounge overlooking the city, so we're looking forward to checking that out!)

Anyway, I decided to get creative for a shower gift. I wanted something fun but also practical, so after much perusing of Pinterest I decided to buy them a huge box of diapers and to build a castle out of them! Here are the two main photos that inspired me:



Marla and I went shopping last night for ribbon, cardstock, and notions to use for the castle, and she's coming over today to help me build it. We're going to drink wine and make an afternoon of it! :) I bought the sweetest little (infant safe) stuffed dragon to go on top. It's baby blue and silver, and it's going to look really cute perched on top of the castle! 

Of course, I'll post pictures later on and show you how it turns out. 

So we're not quite done, but we're going to add some finishing touches next weekend. And this picture was a quick one before we disassembled the various parts for storage, and some of the turrets aren't straight, etc. But here's what we have so far!



42 comments:

  1. I love the diaper castle idea. I have a feeling the parents will be reluctant to pull it apart to use the the diapers. (I would have struggled.) It will be a beautiful art feature in their new baby's room. I can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a huge box of diapers (210 count) at our local Sam's Club. There should be a good many left over after we're finished, so they can use those first! :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea! You are quite clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been so excited to make this! I keep looking for templates and ideas, and we bought lots of different papers and ribbon and stuff so we'll have lots of materials to choose from. We're going out to lunch before we get started.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's so fun, Jennifer, and practical at the same time. It will be the hit of the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! My sister-in-law is in charge of decorating and we're going to use it on one of the tables for a centerpiece. It's going to be a surprise for the parents-to-be. :)

      Delete
  4. A great gift for the family, and I am sure your castle will look perfect with the baby dragon on top!
    A fellow blogger lives in Raleigh, not sure whether you know Mary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks fabulous, Jennifer!

      Delete
    2. I don't know Mary....what is her blog called? And thank you!

      Delete
  5. The last time I went to a baby shower (quite a few years ago now), "diaper cakes" were all the rage. Haven't seen a "diaper castle" before, but how friggin cute is that? Yes, be sure to post photos of your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to make a diaper cake, but saw photos of these and thought a castle would be more fun and unique!

      Delete
  6. "The Tower of Diapers"... Isn't that a Harry Potter book and film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or "Tower of Nappies" as the English would say!

      Delete
  7. Fun to make, fun to give, fun to have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have such great ideas. Can’t wait to see the castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post more photos when it's REALLY finished. It's not quite there yet.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I thought it was more fun that a diaper "cake".

      Delete
  10. This is such a thoughtful way to give a gift. I am not creative, I just give plain old gift cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all that creative to search Pinterest and copy ideas, though!

      Delete
  11. The diaper castle is adorable! What a great, creative gift. If I had tried to build anything and mixed it with wine, the castle wouldn't have looked anything like a castle. lol

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is incredibly wonky and still very much unfinished at this point. But we have the base done and can fine-tune everything this weekend. Wine and a craft project with a friend is fun no matter how it turns out!

      Delete
  12. I have never been to a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a clever and creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out adorably! Getting it there will be a challenge, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're planning to partially disassemble it for traveling! :)

      Delete
  15. This is so beautiful Jennifer, it will be very surprising and exciting for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not my cup of tea but it’s bloody inventive x

    ReplyDelete