Sunday, December 17, 2017

A closer look...

.....at our Christmas tree! My previous post didn't show the ornaments very well.
We have quite the collection--here are a few of our favorites.
You'll notice a lot of fish and bird themed ones, for obvious reasons.
The star topper is new this year. 




Nicky was our beloved Cocker Spaniel that died right after Christmas in 2006. Gregg's nieces and nephews gave him ornaments almost every year when they were very small. I believe this one dates back to about 2003.

Another ornament for Nicky. For several years after he died, I couldn't bear to put these on the tree,
but it's been long enough now that seeing them only brings back happy memories.

Glitter fish.

Goofy pink fish ornament--a gift to Gregg one year when I worked for Pier 1 Imports.

Look! It's Santa!

I also collect rabbits, and this was a gift from Gregg's mom one year.

A "Li Bien" ornament from Pier 1.

My grandmother gave me this over the summer when I went to visit her. It's a Marjolein Bastin
ornament--I especially wanted to show this one to my friend Terra. Isn't it sweet?

It's a major award!!!

Careful, kid...you'll shoot yer eye out!

I love silver decorations and glass icicles. I have a big collection of both.

Our tree is stuffed full!


26 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Love the Christmas Story ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My recently deceased mother in law gave us those and they always make me smile.

      Delete
  2. awwww so beautiful. Just beautiful !
    I may post my tree on Monday or Wednesday. And the reason behind it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to seeing your tree! Thanks Gayle!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you made close-ups of the ornaments; I love that they all have a story to them.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several more not pictured here, and most of them have stories, too. I'm glad we got the tree up before my mother in law passed away, otherwise we would have skipped the tree this year. A lot of the ornaments were gifts from her over the years. :)

      Delete
  4. Lots of lovely ornaments there Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. It's not a polished, department store tree by any means, but it's cheerful and almost all of the ornaments are meaningful to us.

      Delete
  5. I think my favorite is the bunnies. And then the birds. Maybe. These are all lovely and the stories they bring with them are heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bunnies are sweet and old fashioned looking. As for the birds--there's one that's a sweet little pair of chickadees that I love, but I just can't get a good picture of it.

      Delete
  6. What a pretty tree. I especially like the ice cycle sparkle. Our little tree started out so well this year, but most ornaments are moved half way up now. Mr. Cat has been pilfering them, and we haven't found the stash yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my glass icicles. When I worked at Pier 1 I bought a couple of new boxes of them for several years. They look beautiful sparkling in the lights. :)

      Delete
  7. Very special decorations, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought our decks were lovely but a love love love the glitter fish x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your ornaments, especially the ones for your dear doggy and the leg from A Christmas Story. That movie is so funny.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little figurine of the sleeping dog always makes a lump come to my throat. :)

      Delete
  10. Love the Cowboy! I just gave a friend a 'moving' Santa; he has a Chinese face, and when you pull a dangling string his arms and legs go up and down. It's the most kitsch thing I've seen all year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fish ornaments are special, I don't think I've ever seen a fish on a Christmas tree before :-)
    The one with the birds is so lovely, I'd put that on my tree (if I had one) any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have more fish on the tree than the ones pictured here...Gregg is "the fish guy" as you know, so he's forever getting new ones.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful, smile-inducing collection! I love that tree topper and those Christmas Story ornaments are the best. Did you have them shipped all the way from Fragile, Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for giving us a closer look at your tree Jennifer. It is so nice that many of your tree decorations have back stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ornaments and your tree are very beautiful. I hope you have a Zmerry Christmas, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete