Sunday, December 10, 2017

Circle of Life

The month of December has always been a hard one for me. Anything tragic or sad or scary that happens in my life usually happens this month. Now I have another unhappy event to add to our December calendar--the passing of Gregg's mom.

We were putting up the Christmas tree when we got the call that she was dying. If it wasn't already up we wouldn't have bothered this year, but since it is I'm glad to have it. The warm glow of it is cheerful in the house.

Yesterday my friend Marla came over and spent the afternoon with me. We are so thankful for her help while we were in Raleigh last week; the dogs and Marco love her and so she came over and made sure they were fed and cared for while we were away. She's a true friend that can always be counted on when a need arises. What a comfort friends are!

And yesterday she confirmed something I've been suspecting for a couple of months now: she's expecting a new baby at the end of May! Regular readers here will remember how she tragically lost her first child, Alice, three days after she was born. Marla and her husband were heartbroken and it was too sad for words--they never even got to bring their daughter home from the hospital. I felt that I had lost a niece, a niece of the heart and not of blood, maybe, but no less precious for all that.

And now a new baby is on the way! Marla seemed well and cheerful and deeply happy when she told me. I had been telling Gregg for two months that I thought she was pregnant and he was beginning to doubt me, since nothing was said. But I knew. Marla's been one of my dearest friends for about 15 years now, so I know her pretty well! She is now 15 weeks along, and she and her husband decided to surprise their families with the happy news at Thanksgiving, so of course she didn't want to tell friends before her mother and father and in-laws. So yesterday was the day, and I was finally able to tell Gregg, "Told you so!!" We're so happy for her!

"In the midst of life, we are in death......" but also, in the midst of death we are in life. It's so wonderful to think of a new baby to love next summer after the loss of a mother this winter. Edythe would be absolutely thrilled for Marla--she was so sad for her when Alice passed away, and she loved babies and young children. The circle of life continues as long as there is love and family and friendship tying us all together. What a wonderful, comforting thought that is!

24 comments:

  1. I am glad you have this excellent piece of news. I know it doesn’t take away the pain but still, I am glad you were given something awesome and exciting to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Birdie. I can't wait for my little niece or nephew to be born!

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for the sadness you feel, but it also will be the love you feel for the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A baby, isn't that a piece of wonderful news in the midst of your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad and happy news all at once.
    We had the same here this year, Col's Dad passed away and a few months later news of 3rd grandchild on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes- oh yes, oh yes, oh yes.
    This is how life goes on. What beautiful news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a loss, it is hard to feel excited about anything. That is wonderful that you can share the joy of a dear friend and have something to look forward to this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my youngest was born we met a very good friend in the hospital who told us that her husband had just died. She was a Zen Buddhist, and saw the birth of our son as a 'sign'. She felt very connected to him; alas, she herself has now gone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plum Village is not so far away from your living area. The famous Zen Master Thich Nath Hanh.Maybe you know something about it.

      Delete
  8. I remember Maria's story very well and I was just thinking about her and you and here is this good news.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were so supportive and kind when little Alice died. I'll never forget it.

      Delete
  9. I am happy for Marla and her husband - and all their friends and family, of course - but I would be too scared for words to "try again" after little Alice's death. I know, I am a coward in such things, and if things depended on the likes of me, the human species would have long become extinct!
    The way death and life, sadness and happiness are so often only separated by a very thin line is comforting indeed. I am glad you have your Christmas tree up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure she'd try again, Meike, but I'm glad she is. Marla and Toyo will make excellent parents. :)

      Delete
  10. When the new baby arrives safely the love he/she receives will be doubled because of Alice's death. You had better get knitting Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO need to get knitting, but I'll be making things for the baby when he/she is a 6 month old instead of a newborn. No baby born in South Carolina at the beginning of the summer needs knitted items right away! :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful post. I am happy for Marla, I was quite moved by her story when you originally shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The circle of life, indeed! I'm happy for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After a sad note, now some good news and something to look forward to. I'm happy for Marla. What a lovely friendship.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crikey Ginger and George ..... thanks for remembering me. I could never forget you. I wanted to send you a Christmas card but I don't have your email address so I'll do a post with it included later. I hope you like it. Have a great Christmas, aye??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your friend's happy news of her pregnancy is a spark of light in what is a dark month for you two. I hope you will find more light in this season.

    ReplyDelete