Saturday, June 17, 2023

Random odds and ends

I have nothing special to blog about at the moment, so today will just be random odds and ends.

First of all, how did I forget to mention that the 12th was our seventeenth wedding anniversary?! We didn't do anything special except hang out at home and talk about how lucky we are. The original plan was to visit one of the many state parks we haven't seen yet, and take a picnic lunch, but the weather was supposed to be bad, and we decided not to risk it. The dire predictions of wind, hail, and flooding rain never happened, though. We may try again this coming week. As far as doing anything that costs money, we can't. The new roof we just had put on cost us thousands of dollars, so for this year at least, it will have to serve as our "anniversary gift". And that's okay. Our home has been steadily rising in value over the four years since we bought it, and anything that adds to its value is a good investment. We're on track to pay off our mortgage in another 8 years, what with the extra payments we scrimp and save to make towards the principle. Once it's paid off, we'll be in a good position to travel and spend more "fun money". Hopefully.

The dogs are super itchy right now. I'm beginning to think we're going to have to take them to the vet for allergy shots next week. I gave them both baths and dosed them with Benadryl yesterday, but poor Poppy still has red, swollen eyes. Just like home ownership, pet ownership is always costing us money!



Eyeing my sandwich the other day. Beggars, both of them!


Sweet George.

My garden is really starting to grow, now. We'll be harvesting tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers soon. The other day I picked the last of the lettuce, a gallon size Ziploc bag full. No more leafy greens will be possible until the fall.






My "marigold mulch" is blowing up! We have cheerful orange flowers all around and between the food plants. So far so good.

And my zinnias from last year have re-seeded themselves! I love these easy, cheerful flowers. 


 


PS: Update on my finger: it's much better now that it's been two weeks since the accident. I still put a waterproof bandage on it when I shower, but otherwise it's mostly ok. I'll have a scar, but at least it's healing cleanly. You better believe I'm super careful when I use my new knives these days!

25 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your beautiful floral and garden photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your finger is healing well. Your garden looks wonderful!
    A belated Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have zinnias already!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are A#1 in my book. Look at those tomatoes! I can practically smell the foliage. And the marigold mulch is just good garden practice (and those are my favorite marigold variety!) Zinnias I never had much luck with, being a perennial kinda person with acid soil, so I have Zinnia Envy. So, so gorgeous. XOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment! Thank you for stopping by and for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Aren't zinnias wonderful! As is your entire garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm wishing I'd planted even more zinnias...I'm thinking of turning that whole bed in front of the porch into a zinnia cutting garden next year.

      Delete
  6. Tomato growing must be the most satisfying thing to do in any garden. I miss it so much, although I do have some growing in pots back in the UK. I hope someone waters them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone IS watering your tomatoes, Cro! I'd hate to face a summer without home grown tomatoes, but I'm sure wonderful ones can be bought for pennies where you live in France (if all else fails).

      Delete
  7. I may have mentioned before that zinnia were my grandma's favourite flowers. Your photos made me think of her just now.
    Your wedding anniversary sounds good to me - spending time together and talking about how lucky you are is a wonderful way to celebrate! And you are right, anything you do to make your home even better is worth it.
    The mortgage to my flat will only be fully paid around the time I retire, but that's fine by me. The monthly payments are kept deliberately low so that I hardly feel them, and to take out a lump sum to pay it off earlier makes no sense right now financially, the way Germany's money market is going. But I know I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when one day this place will really, truly be mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregg is so close to retirement that we're trying to pay ours off as fast as possible, so that we'll be comfortable once he stops working. Thanks to our age difference, I still have another 20 years left to work....but once the house is paid off, we can save extra for my eventual retirement.

      Delete
  8. Too bad your days as a hand model are over. But glad you're healing. Great shots of your gardens. Happy anniversary belatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the sound of it, you are in a better frame of mind than you were when you wrote that post on June 10th. People will often hide behind figurative curtains rather than being honest about what's really going on in their lives. That's why I thought your June 10th post was brave. How is your father now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad is not doing well, but he's more comfortable than he was earlier in the month. I spoke to him on the phone for a couple of minutes yesterday. He was very......vague. His mind tends to drift and he's only a shadow of his former self. I keep reminding him that I love him and I'm here for him if he needs or wants anything.

      My state of mind is a little better. Definitely better than it was when I wrote the June 10th post. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  10. Your garden is a glory!
    Happy anniversary, Jennifer. You guys are doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so damn lucky in my marriage, and I never take it for granted.

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary, Jennifer! Wishing you many, many more fabulous years together! Your garden looks amazing! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so fortunate your zinnias re-seeded! Mine didn't, and I have no idea why. Fortunately Olga doesn't seem to have much of an allergic response to her environment, but Dave does, and he's been dealing with itchy eyes like crazy. Happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were hoping Poppy wouldn't develop allergies, but now she's as bad as George. They have appointments at the vet tomorrow. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Dogs! Tomatoes! I can think of nothing better to show on a blog. ho ho ho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to eat our first slicing tomato! (We've had a few cherries so far). And my dogs are my babies! :)

      Delete