Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Just another hot August afternoon

It's really hot out today. Dangerously hot, to be precise. The heat index has been up around 107 degrees every day for a week. Monday night we got a massive thunderstorm complete with high winds and torrential rains, but did it cool things down any? No, it did not. Going outside, at any time of day, is pretty miserable. It's like putting a hot, wet towel over your face when you step out the door. Not my favorite time of year by any means!

Work is still going well. It's been a real adjustment going from such a busy, stressful environment as my last school to such a different place, though. I think I must have a little PTSD from last year, because I keep finding myself waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. Things are so placid and well-run and just...easy...that it makes me nervous sometimes.

 I know that sounds weird. It's hard to explain. It's like my nervous system is all keyed up and ready for stress to explode around me, and when it never does that anxiety/energy has nowhere to go. There are long stretches of time with nothing pressing for me to do. It's disconcerting. For six years I did the jobs of at least two people and the pace never, ever let up. Now I have a normal (one person) job. No one dumps extra tasks on me or takes advantage. (Quite the opposite, in fact. The other office people/teachers/staff go out of their way to be kind and to not impose on me or my time).  I have a great deal of freedom and a quiet, private office. There's only so much to do, even when I help answer phones and such, and it seems strange not to have to operate under a sense of urgency all the time. As to the bookkeeping part of my training (the only challenging thing) that's coming along just fine. I'm learning a lot as situations come up that require my input, and it's not nearly as complicated as I initially imagined it to be.

So, a bit weird, but all good. Since I'm off early (as usual these days) and Gregg works late tonight, I'm considering a short nap. My bedroom is cool and dark, I have a book to read*, and a quick snooze sounds like just the thing for a hot afternoon. 

*My book club decided to read a classic this month: East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I'm enjoying it so far.

40 comments:

  1. Rest…we are still have 110 index here on the Gulf…boys go to school tomorrow…youngest grand girl in INDY college Monday..bittersweet. August hectic. Stay in touch with the Superintendent of one of your school districts…classic novel. Enjoy…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August is hectic, and it's too hot to hurry! Haha. :)

      Delete
  2. I bet you DO have PTSD. You were actually and truly in an abuse situation in your last job. That's all there is to it. And it's going to take longer to not feel like that other shoe is going to drop than it is going to take for you to learn bookkeeping. A lot longer. Learning is always easier than unlearning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Learning is always easier than unlearning". TRUTH.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you landed in such a great job! That last one sounds like it was worse even than you let on. Dang. The relief must be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was much worse than I felt comfortable writing about in an open forum like this. I don't tell people I have a blog or link to it anywhere, but you just never know what people may find and read.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I loved "East of Eden". In fact I loved everything that John Steinbeck ever wrote. By the sound of that school, you may have ended up in La La Land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not La La Land, but it's pretty damn good. I'm lucky.

      Delete
  5. Our head housekeeper finally has a new housekeeper she likes and can rely on. One day while she was cleaning my room I asked how she had come to apply here. She said "For over a year I have driven by your 'Help Wanted' sign, to a factory job I despised. It was hectic, stressful, unrewarding. One day I just turned right and put in an application. During the day someone called me, so I left work early, turned left, and was hired. You don't know what a relief it is to work here. Everyone is kind, nice and appreciative."
    From the top to the middle (you) to the bottom (the new housekeeper) appreciation, nice and kind go a long, long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when one small action (like turning right that day) will change your whole life.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that the job is going well and completely understand waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it's been a while and it seems like an excellent workplace with kind and helpful people. Enjoy! That weather would kill me; we're having some humidity too but with temperatures in the 70s. It's uncomfortable although bearable. PacNW wimp here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a wimp--a normal human! It's just too hot here!

      Delete
  7. Weather up here in Central PA is fine, we get rain every 2 - 3 days and with that comes humidity, but temp wise it never hits 90 (F). I did accounting for years and it became so mundane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookkeeping/accounting for an elementary school won't be totally dull, though. Today I had to figure out approximately how much money we would need for buying doughnuts during the school year (several events include doughnuts) and which accounts to pull the money from for the purchase requisitions. Krispy Kreme is one of our vendors! LOL

      Delete
  8. Enjoy that dream job -- you've hit paydirt there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are much better all around, including my paychecks!

      Delete
  9. It's just plain warm lambchop. I may just live in a pool the rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot here too. A good book, a shady spot, and the occasional swim, are officially being recommended (by me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! I may go swimming this weekend.

      Delete
  11. I am not surprised that your new work environment feels weird, compared to the constant stress you were under previously. Mentally, you already know how good it is, and appreciate it; your emotions take a little longer to adjust, as does your body after such a high stress level over such a long time. As you say, it has nowhere to go right now - so how about a few exercises here and there? I always find that helpful when under pressure (real or imagined - it makes no difference to the body).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise would be the obvious solution, except for the dangerous heat our area is getting. Any outdoor activity has to be really limited right now, and I can't stand the idea of going to a gym. I would love nothing more than some cool, crisp days and long walks after work.

      Delete
  12. Your new place sounds heavenly. What a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful that you finally landed something wonderful. I hope you soon adjust to working with adults in a healthy environment. It sounds like you're suffering from PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are so much better there. Thank you, Mitchell.

      Delete
  14. I am so glad that your new position is providing you with a less stressful day. I am so happy for you, and as someone who worked in a lot of schools, one school can be totally different from another. I feel so fortunate that our weather here in Virginia hasn't been as hot. 107! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 107 was the "real feel" so the actual temperature was around 98 degrees. I'm so sick of this heat!

      Delete
  15. Great book, East of Eden! And yes, the heat of this summer is just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never read "East of Eden," but I think I saw the movie a long time ago. I imagine the job will feel more natural and comfortable over time. Don't ever tell them you don't have enough to do! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started reading your blog when you were crazy busy at the Bookshop. Then on to the two school jobs now you are finally at what sounds like a good school and I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to me that I've been blogging all these years! Thank you Gayle.

      Delete
  18. Your uneasiness is understandable. You dealt with a great deal of crap for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand how you can be keyed up because your previous job was so unpredictable and stressful, I think you will adjust to a happier more peaceful work environment. I hope the temps cool down for you.

    ReplyDelete