Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Thoughts on this past weekend (edited)

What a weekend we just had, huh?


Let me just state, for the record, and in no uncertain terms....political violence has no place in America. None. And nothing about what happened on Saturday is funny. 

As much as I detest Trump and everything he stands for, I refuse to make jokes about a former president of the United States being shot at. The man who was killed at the rally, and the two people who were shot and injured, are fellow Americans first and foremost regardless of our political differences. It's horrifying and unacceptable. 

And it doesn't matter how the other side might have reacted if the shooting had happened at a Biden rally. I've seen that as an excuse to say all kinds of horrible things, but it doesn't make it right. We must remember our common humanity. We MUST be better than this.

Will I attack the things Trump stands for? His criminality, his threats to our very democracy, his record as president? His inflammatory rhetoric, his lack of morals?  ABSOLUTELY. But his basic humanity and the right to be safe while running a campaign? No. I don't take any pleasure in an assassination attempt against him, and I grieve for the family of the man who died. Speaking of which...



That's MY president. A caring, decent, and good man who can put politics aside for the good of our country. That's who we should look to for an example of how to behave in trying times. A president for ALL Americans, whether they vote(d) for him or not. 

Back tomorrow for more thoughts on the upcoming election.

*Added later....

In the spirit of not being a total hypocrite,  and lest anyone think I'm better and kinder than I really am....I'd just like to admit that I've often had the thought that if Trump suddenly succumbed to a heart attack or stroke that it would be a blessing for our country (and the world). He's a dangerous man who has indirectly caused death and suffering to a whole lot of people, and I fear that it's going to get worse if he wins a second term. I also fear that he's never going to face consequences for all the harm he's done and the crimes he's committed. I'm only human. So I understand the impulse to make light of what happened to him on Saturday. Still, I want to be better than that.

25 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jennifer. You make good sense in this post. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all makes our recent UK elections look very calm and collected. Good luck to you all. I'm taking no sides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we really need to all work hard to support Biden and encourage the uncommitted to vote Biden!!!!!

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  4. vote blue even if it's a shoe- candidates aside ,because neither is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so well said, Jennifer. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, your post is so spot on. Biden has class, Trump doesn't. That's emphasized by what the widow of the man said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brava!

    I have made jokes because I believe The Felon is making this nick on the ear a bigger deal than it is; first day after the shooting, no bandaid. Next day at the convention, his ear is Maxi-padded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT'S funny! I noticed the maxi pad on his ear too! Haha.

      Delete
  8. Boy, that meme says it all, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said Jennifer, and I agree, and your better then I. But I have always had a evil spot for trump. I wish I felt the same but can't. To me, he is getting dangerously close to putting himself and the Party of Rot in Hillter territory. So when he checks out, I will not shed a tear. I have never had distain for one person like this my whole life. He is an affront to the very delicacy of my nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trump has said he hasn't called her because of the bandage on his ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the maxi pad stuck on the side of his head? The one that wasn't there the day before when he was playing golf? Can you picture how hard I keep rolling my eyes?

      Delete
  11. Sorry not sorry here. Karma, he drew it to himself. To put it another way, when they go low, I'm not surprised or saddened when someone goes lower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely. I have all those same feelings and I know that the right wingers have been and are encouraging violence. When I'm on social media or in public, I try to keep things civil. That doesn't mean I don't joke, rant, rave, and blow off steam in private when among like minded friends!

      Delete
  12. I agree with you totally. There's no place for violence although he was responsible for the violence on Jan 6. Still, I wish he'd keel over. I have terrible anxiety about the election. I don't think Biden can win so what to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last thing we need to do right now is to give up and assume Biden "can't win". I feel like that's exactly what Trump and his supporters would want us to do...get so demoralized that we won't bother to vote.

      Delete
  13. You're right about all of this, of course. And I wouldn't feel bad about having the thoughts you mentioned in your last added paragraph. I'm sure many of us have had those thoughts -- but that's not the same as wishing harm on him.

    I saw an article on a right-wing media site (yes, I read them) that said Comperatore's widow didn't accept the call from Biden. But even if that's true -- and I'm not sure it is -- at least he called!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I read that same thing, that the widow wouldn't accept the call. It's gotten so you can't trust anything you read anywhere. Who knows? But at least he called, whether she accepted the call or not. I'm so tired of everything concerning politics at the moment. It's all just exhausting.

      Delete
  14. The new paint color you did for the bathroom looks very nice with the tile! From the photograph it is a mild yellow/gold color. Very nice!!!

    Overall, I hate painting, even though I do it relatively often. I get worried and fussy about all the taping…… but especially worried about removing the tape where I then see and notice and get frustrated about any imperfections I find. Hopefully you found none in your effort!

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Professor! :) We're newbies to painting, and the only reason we're doing it ourselves is because it's so expensive to hire someone, which would be my preference if money were no object! We worry and get fussy about details, too, and it's no fun. But I do love the results. This fall we plan to tackle some larger areas in the house. The bathroom was practice.

      Delete
  15. Your position is correct Jennifer. However, I cannot help wondering about the wisdom of holding political rallies in fairly remote rural locations. This makes tight security more difficult. I think that from now on Trump should be required to hold his rallies in purpose-built stadia that are much easier to police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked that there was an attempt on Trump's life, and I don't think anyone was expecting it. It was a BIG security failure. The position of the shooter on a nearby roof....it just beggars belief that he wasn't stopped WAY before he ever fired a round. I think we're so used to violence from the right-wing crazies that we assume that Trump and his ilk are probably safe. (And from all reports the shooter was a right-wing nut himself, so I guess no one is safe, really).

      Delete
  16. I'm frightened and discouraged by all of it. The rhetoric, the spin, the dishonesty, the anger and violence. I think that another cult leader will take T's place eventually; he won't live forever, but the movement (unfortunately) appears strong.

    ReplyDelete