Wednesday, July 31, 2024

End of summer wrap up

As hard as it is to believe, summer (at least for me) is winding down. The teachers in our district returned to work last week, and tomorrow is the first day back for students. I know that by most standards this is very early, but since we're on a modified year-round schedule, everyone returns sooner than they used to. Summer feels done when school starts back, no matter what the calendar says. Or the thermometer, for that matter. *

I was thinking this morning about what the last few months have been like and the things I've neglected to make note of on the blog. Here's a snapshot of summer 2024 for me:

The Garden

If it hadn't been for the massive harvest of cucumbers and the rattlesnake beans Mary Moon sent me, it would have been a total failure. I got no tomatoes, very few peppers, and the melons I had such high hopes for only produced a handful of small, hard fruits that turned yellow and started to go bad before they ever started to ripen. I blame the sweltering heat and humidity that went on for weeks with no break. And not a drop of rain between mid-June and mid-July. Even the garden pests like hornworms and aphids didn't bother to show up--that's what shit my garden was this year. So disappointing! 

At least the zinnias never let me down! 




The Van:

Saturday before last we bought my friend Karen's Dodge van for Gregg to use when he services aquariums. His old Ford Ranger truck isn't safe to drive anywhere beyond a 3- or 4-mile radius of home these days. We bought it way back in 2007, and it was already high mileage then. All these years later, almost nothing on it works properly. ** We've been sharing my Scion for the most part. Karen got a new car recently and mentioned that she'd probably be selling the van cheap, and we jumped at the opportunity to buy it. Like the truck, it's old and has a lot of miles, but everything works and it's in decent shape. Some of Gregg's aquariums are in neighboring towns, and now he has something he can comfortably drive without having to wait until my car is available. Plus, the van holds all the gear he needs so he doesn't have to constantly pack and unpack my car. It's reassuring to know he's got access to a more reliable vehicle while I'm at work. 

Best of all, we only paid $1200 for it! 



Another advantage is that the dogs can get into and out of the van much more easily than either the truck or my Scion. It's lower to the ground and that's important now that George is getting older and has a bit of arthritis in his back knees. Then there's the fact that there's ample room to drive both dogs around at the same time! We took them for their first ever ride together in it last weekend. They loved it.



The Specs:

I finally broke down and bought some much-needed new glasses this week. I nearly choked when I saw the bill: over $450! I guess it's been a long time since I've had new glasses, and the price of pretty much everything has gone up, but damn. I keep reminding myself I paid for several pricey extras: thinner lenses that don't look like Coke bottles, bifocals that seamlessly progress (no lines), and a glare reduction feature that's supposed to be good for people who stare at screens all day. Plus, they're scratch resistant. It still seems like a lot though.

 

Taken last night in my office at my school's Open House. I'd picked up the new glasses that afternoon while on a break. After an 11-hour day, I was exhausted, and looked it. But I like the glasses!

Health:

This will be a separate blogpost that I've been thinking about for awhile, so I won't talk about it too much here. (This post is long enough already). But I will mention two things: I've gotten better control of the eczema that's plagued me for years, and in the last eight weeks I've lost 24 pounds. Those two things alone feel major.


*As Spo (the dear!) just pointed out, in the Celtic calendar tomorrow (August 1st) is Lammas, the first day of autumn. 

** I want to cry at the thought of getting rid of the truck. We've had it so long, since the year after we got married, that it seems like a member of the family. I know it's silly, but I felt guilty when I watched Gregg remove the tag and put it on the new van! Our tentative plan is to donate it our local PBS station, SCETV. They have an old car donation program that we've used before, and it's a very worthwhile charity. 

36 comments:

  1. Buy your glasses from Zinni! save a boatload of cash! Your zinnias look divine. The kids up here go back to school in 2 weeks, so there's not much difference. And yes, the heat was terrible on gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the glasses! That is a terrific picture. You are lovely!
    Well, I'm glad the green beans kicked it into high gear for you. You surely repaid me in full with the tomato seeds. They're done now but for a few weeks we had such a fine bounty of them.
    We get very attached to our vehicles. I understand your feelings.
    Can't believe it's time to go back to school. Jeez, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me so very happy to know that you got tomatoes and enjoyed them! The beans were really good and I plan to devote more space to them next year.

      Delete
  3. Love the zinnias; my favorite flower. Love the new car and the happy pups riding in style.
    I just got new glasses, no frills lenses, though progressives, and the cheapest frames. 675.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 675?!!! Whew! I guess I shouldn't complain!

      Delete
  4. Back to school tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never heard of kids going back so soon!

    Yep... thanks heavens for the zinnia, right? They generally love the heat. I have three colors of them currently blooming as is the coneflower, and the start of the dahlia. Otherwise the garden still flourishes. My herbs doing so-so. The rabbits. I suspect your heat is much hotter then here.

    The glasses suit your face and frame! Nice choice Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that in the northeast kids usually don't go back until after Labor Day. But we'll love the extra weeks off in October and February!

      I'm glad you like my new glasses! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Your new glasses look great! That van will come in handy, too! I hope this school year is as nice as your previous good experience! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. This job is so much better! Oh, and I got a nice raise this month, too. :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE your new frames!! Utterly cool!
    Perhaps you could keep the truck- make it a garden feature!
    and 24 pounds is a lot! Congratulations - that is a very difficult achievement! Bully for you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words!! And thank you for stopping by, too! :)

      Delete
  7. $1,200 for that van seems an absolute bargain; good for you! As for the specs, I think they look very good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1200 was an absolute steal! It's made Gregg's work such easier, and we're very grateful.

      Delete
  8. The kids here only started their summer break last week. They will go back early September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really different schedule than we have, for sure!

      Delete
  9. Your summer round up makes me feel all autumnly - and I know I will feel even more so when I‘ll be back at work next week, even though it is still hot and sunny in Germany, and sunset is still as late as around 9:00 pm.
    Love your new specs!! They don‘t seem expensive to me; I pay this kind of money for one single glass. Double that, and that‘s no frame bought yet. I used to joke (only half-kiddingly) that I work a month or more for a new pair of specs.
    Anyway, yours look great, and YOU look great, exhausted or not! When I saw your picture and before reading the health paragraph in your post, I immediately thought that you must have lost a lot of weight. Congratulations!
    So funny about the dogs finally getting out on a drive together 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind. :) I definitely think my face looks thinner since I've lost some weight. Your glasses sound outrageously expensive! I guess I don't have room to complain. I feel fortunate that I can afford to buy what I need.

      George and Poppy liked the ride!

      Delete
  10. Despite being tired, you look great in those new glasses. You did get them with all the bells and whistles, so the price, although painful, is no surprise. But, hey, you’re worth it. I can’t believe August 1 is back to school. Too bad about the vegetable garden, but those zinnias make up for a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitchell! I got a haircut today and it's shorter than my hair has been in years...maybe ever. I wasn't quite expecting the stylist to take off so much, but I like it! Between that and the new glasses I look strange to myself when I pass a mirror.

      Delete
  11. As I write this comment, the students are back for their first day. Teachers here go back on the 12th, and students begin on the 19th. I have seen school buses about a lot lately. I am guessing they are working on their routes before school begins. Good luck with the new school year. I am glad that you are working in an environment that is not toxic. The new glasses look great! I wear glasses and splurge for the thin lenses, the no bifocal line, scratch resistant, etc. The $450 price tag is about what they cost. Your zinnias look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael! I wrote a long comment on your last blog post but when I hit publish it disappeared! Aarrgh!! I seem to have trouble commenting on WordPress blogs when I'm using my phone. But anyway, thank you for all your kind words!

      Delete
  12. Well, your summer went by quickly but you have lots of news! I love your glasses and think they look great on you. My zinnias are just starting to bloom and I just love them so much! Best of luck for a terrific school year, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't zinnias just wonderful? This yearvthe hummingbirds prefer them to the sugar water feeder!

      Delete
  13. I was just thinking today that it must be about time for you to go back. (I know you go back before we do, and I'm back at work in two weeks!) Seems like you got a great deal on the van, and your zinnias are impressive (even if nothing else was). Love the glasses! I have to get new glasses too. I'm putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to miss my "summer hours" and the more laid back pace of the past two months. It was nice to see some of my little buddies this morning, though! Thanks for the nice words re the glasses. I like them a lot so far.

      Delete
  14. 24 pounds is great, Jennifer! And a 'new' van! And new glasses (one question: Eyeglass World?) They look great though! They suit your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. I've worked really hard to take off that weight. It's been a daily struggle. I'm not familiar with Eyeglass World, I picked these frames from the display wall at the optometrists office! :)

      Delete
  15. I get my reading glasses from Poundland, though they do now cost £1.50 unless I buy 3 pairs and that is £3! My distance glasses, that I only wear for driving ,cost about £20 online !

    ReplyDelete
  16. The new glasses really suit you. You look like a professor and I am a student whose assignment on agricultural methods in Ancient Egypt is long overdue. I hope the new vehicle gives you a few years of trouble-free driving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the specs; love the dog. Thank you for the shout out; you are a dear, and not just for this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you, Jennifer, and hoping you stay safe from Hurricane Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the zinnias and love the glasses!
    BTW my glasses have the same bells and whistles and are about that price. No surprise there. Thing is, I am using Warby Parker and they offered me a second pair as first time customer.
    The idea of giving the truck to the local PBS station is a fab idea.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like summer has been a mix of highs and lows for you. It's always tough when the garden doesn't produce as expected, especially after putting in so much effort. I’m glad to hear that the zinnias were a bright spot amidst the disappointment!

    On the brighter side, it’s great that you were able to pick up Karen’s van for Gregg. It sounds like a much-needed upgrade from the old truck, and it’s always a relief to have a reliable vehicle, especially when it comes to your work.

    Good luck with the new school year! I just posted a new blog post at www.melodyjacob.com. I invite you to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol you have an admirer on going gently xx tee hee

    ReplyDelete