Monday, August 12, 2024

Wasted time

Jury duty this morning was a bust. I arrived a few minutes early, and thank goodness I did, because magistrate court was no longer in the same location as last time. They sent me to the older federal building across the street. After driving over there, struggling to find parking (I ended up having to use a nearby parking garage) and finally arriving, hot and sweaty, the security guy stopped me at the door and told me I was in the wrong place......AGAIN. He told me to walk back outside and the correct building would be on my left. 

So I walked out and turned to the left and there was....nothing there. Frustrated, I saw a city maintenance worker and asked him where I was supposed to be, and it turns out the last guy should have told me to take a right, then a left. Damn it! More walking...

Once I got to the right place (finally!) the security lady at the door stopped me and told me I'd have to take my purse back to my car and leave it there. Apparently, handbags of any kind are no longer allowed in the courtroom. It seems like a ridiculous rule to me, considering that you have to go through metal/weapon detectors either way. Besides that, there was nothing in the jury summons that mentioned the new rule. But the security person was adamant, so I had no choice but to traipse back to the parking garage, lock up my purse, and then walk back again. By this time, I was so sweaty I could almost wring the moisture out of my hair. I was also 10 minutes late. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper!

All that trouble, and after a half hour or so the judge came out and said that all the cases in front of him had just been settled, and that we were free to go. 

Arghh!!!

Of course I'm glad I don't have jury duty after all, but it sure felt like a huge waste of my time, and a giant hassle. At least it was still early, not quite 10:00, and I had the day off in front of me. I called my friend Paulette (she's retired) and asked if she'd like to meet up for a cup of coffee. She invited me over to her house for coffee instead, and I went and we passed a couple of pleasant hours chatting. The morning ended better than it began.

This was the second time I've been pulled for jury duty recently. The first time (back in May, I think) the clerk of court called the Friday before and told me court was canceled the next week. This time, the cases got settled before a jury needed to be picked. I sincerely hope they'll take my name out of rotation for a good long while, now! Enough is enough!

30 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration! But you get points for trying to be a good citizen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure I really get points for it since failure to show up for court would have consequences. But I do try to be a good citizen!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Debra. Despite the hassle it is a good thing we have such. Imagine the alternative.

      Delete
  2. Well, it just figured, didn't it?? I have only been called for jury duty once and was released like you. Have never been called back yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pulled three times in just over a year, but haven't had to serve yet. I wish they'd find someone else to pick on for awhile!

      Delete
  3. I'm proud of you for trying to do your duty, Jennifer! Even if it did turn out to be a pain in the tushy! Thanks for trying! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. I would much rather have been at work.

      Delete
  4. It felt like a waste of time and a hassle because it was! I hope you don't receive the dreaded letter again for many years, or maybe never. I've been called for duty twice but never had to serve. You are a good person for going, even if they ended up not needing you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least if I get pulled again I"ll go to the right place to begin with. And will leave my purse locked in the car!

      Delete
  5. I've been called THREE times ... once in San Francisco, once in Miami, and once in South Carolina ... and put on a jury every time!!!
    But I did find the whole thing interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dismissed by phone for having a new baby to care for, then grandchildren to get to school. Then for old age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds just like my wife's recent experience. Some deal was done 'back stage' and the accused was let free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's what it sounds like happened in this case. I was just relieved to be able to return to work this week.

      Delete
  8. Though I've heard it said jury duty is a right, a responsibility, a privilege, to me it's always seemed an annoyance to show up and sit, voir dire an embarrassment to answer questions re personal things of life in a crowd of strangers. I actually used to move out of my apartment into a different district to get out of jury duty when called to serve in the area calling me. Though never actually sat to a jury (thank God for that), when I got called and didn't move, I hated the entire experience, and you can't believe how happy I was to obtain a permanent excuse when I hit 70. Age does have some privileges. They still try to get me, but I just mail in my permanent excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age does have its privileges! I'm glad you no longer have to worry about it!

      Delete
  9. The lack of information regarding the exact location and the no-purse rule made things unnecessarily difficult for you, and I suspect some others as well. Still, as Ellen said, you tried to do your duty, and still, as you said, it was early when you were free to go. You had at least the opportunity to see your friend for coffee, which otherwise probably wouldn't have been possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was another lady that had to go back to her car to lock up her purse, and she was just as annoyed as I was!

      Delete
  10. What an aggravating day. But at least it ended well having time with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good thing! It was nice to catch up with this friend.

      Delete
  11. I am disappointed that you didn't get to sit on a jury and assess the evidence. When I was on a jury I got to see two cases through. It was fascinating and I still remember the processes vividly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd gotten picked for a jury it would probably have been a boring case. Who knows? But the truth is I'd rather be at work. I have responsibilities there that I would hate to have to put aside.

      Delete
  12. I would have cried. Seriously cried. But you certainly did everything you could to get there and do your citizenly duty. You needed a day off after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that really bothered me about it all was how nasty humid it was outside and the fact that after all that hurrying around on foot, I was soaked with sweat.

      Delete
  13. Wow. What a morning. I would have been frustrated too, but you turned it into a better day by meeting your friend for coffee. I bet it was hot too as you were going from place to place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO humid. I felt disgustingly sweaty by the time I finally made it into the courtroom!

      Delete
  14. Ugh! It's ridiculous that they didn't include that info about purses in the summons. People should be told that before they show up so they can plan accordingly. I'd say you earned your day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the fact that canceling a paid day off is a bit of a hassle, I'd probably have gone in to work afterwards. But seeing my friend was nice!

      Delete
  15. I would not have been happy to have to leave my handbag ( purse) in the car for possibly a whole day! What a performance you had to endure. At least you got to see your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really upset about that! Especially given the fact that my car was up on the second floor of a dark parking garage.

      Delete