Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A bit of news

Now that I'm back at work following (a really nice) spring break, we're down to just over a month left before this school year is over. It's been the toughest one yet in the six years I've been there, and I speak for the whole staff when I say that it's a huge relief to be so close to the end. There's been plenty of drama and sleepless nights and worries that I didn't blog about, since this is a public forum and someone in my "real" life might stumble upon words never meant for them... but trust me when I say that it's been a truly awful year, for me and everyone else. 

But! There's hope on the horizon! I don't want to say too much at this point (and jinx myself) but I'll say this much: a good job opened up in the district at an excellent school, and it looks pretty certain that I'm going to get to interview with the principal. Three of my professional references have a very good relationship with her, and they've reached out on my behalf and given me glowing recommendations! How awesome is that?! I nearly cried when one of them told me about calling the principal up and all the great things she said about me and my work ethic, personality, skills, etc. I was truly touched. I've spent a lot of years thinking nobody took much notice of me and how hard I try, and it turns out I was wrong. People were noticing. Whether or not the job works out, that warms my heart and raises my spirits. 
Right after my one reference made that phone call, singing my praises, the principal at that other school emailed me and asked me to check with HR about whether or not I need to fill out a transfer request form prior to interviewing (I don't, because it would be a promotion, not a lateral move*) and she assured me that she'd be back in touch soon. That's why I say I'm pretty sure I'll at least get an interview! I'm very excited, but cautiously so, of course. I don't want to get ahead of myself or my hopes up too much, but if it works out this will be a very good move for me. And the extra money will make life for my family a little bit easier, too. :)

Please cross your fingers, send good vibes, light a candle, think positive thoughts, or pray (whatever you're inclined to do!), blog friends. And thank you!

*I'm incredibly relieved that I don't have to fill out a transfer request form, which would require my current principal's signature. Although we have a fairly good relationship, all that will likely change the instant she finds out I'm looking to leave. I've seen how that's gone for other people, and it ain't pretty. 

41 comments:

  1. Congrats! I know about your *. When I was in HR I'd have people wanting to transfer and many times they'd need to have me email a copy of their last review and I needed to get Store Manager approval for doing that; not always the best thing letting management knowing you want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! No one needs to know...until they need to know. You know? :)

      Delete
  2. I am crossing my fingers that this job works out for you; it will be such an improved work environment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with this! Time to get to a more positive environment. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm ready for something different. :)

      Delete
  4. Ouch! I am crossing parts of me that I really shouldn't be crossing in the hope that you will land the new job. "One Jennifer Barlow! There's only one Jennifer Barlow!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncross those parts and relax, Neil! Haha! Thank you. xx

      Delete
  5. All you requested and more from this advocate of the only one Jennifer Barlow! How I hope you nail the position.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be crossing everything I can for you Jennifer!!!! I have been in your shoes with recommendations from people.... it usually pans out. I good work ethic and personality follows you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honey- if they don't hire you, they'll be missing out on the best. Period. The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such kind words. Thank you, my friend. I hope you're feeling better today.

      Delete
  8. Wishing you the very best of good luck, Jennifer! I hope you get that promotion at the other school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Jennifer. I sure hope you get the job you want! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That warms your heart when people who know your work reach out to help you and call people who are hiring and tell them about your good qualities. That is a real spirit lifter. I am praying for all good things for you, including a wonderful promotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend! I hope you're doing well. :)

      Delete
  11. Fingers crossed for you from over here. It's about time you worked somewhere where you'll be really happy and appreciated. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really exciting! And you are showing the right attitude - even if it should not work out, the fact alone that people have been saying such good things about you is heart-warming.
    I am sending all I can your way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meike. I think it would be a much happier situation for me.

      Delete
  13. My fingers are crossed. I'm sending good vibes. I just lit a candle. And I'm thinking positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is crossed! You deserve this job, and it sounds like you have a good chance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, good luck with the new prospect. I used to worry about family finding my blog, or friends but in 19 years, none seem to have. I am a little more discreet than I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't imagine why anyone would think to look for a blog written by me, and it hasn't happened to me yet, either. But still, when my job is on the line, discretion is important. Thanks Andrew!

      Delete
  16. Good luck! It's exciting to hear that change may be on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like change is in the air, you know? Thanks, Steve!

      Delete
  17. I'm going to rub my "very" lucky good luck charm for you as soon as I complete this sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll be sure to get it, then. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  18. Jennifer, I hope, hope, hope that it works out.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. will give the Goddess something shiny for you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry the year has been so bad but let's hope the future for you will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete