Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Catty

Today was Administrative Professionals Day. When I got to work, the principal called me and three other women who work in the office together. She said some nice things, thanked us for our hard work and so on, and told us she was sending us off campus for a long lunch at a nearby Italian restaurant to show her appreciation. It was really nice of her; I wasn't expecting anything, so it was a pleasant surprise. 

Two of the women in the group are okay and I like them well enough. The third, though, was one of the bullies who made me so unhappy last year. She's much nicer to me this year (mainly because her mean girl bestie found another job last summer) but she's still a truly awful person. I've never met anyone who loves vicious gossip as much as her! She thinks it's funny to talk trash about people and their personal lives, and the school secretary (who was absent from work and not at the lunch) was the target of her nastiness today. I thought of how hurt the secretary would be if she heard some of the things this woman (who acts like her friend to her face!) had to say. It was disgusting.

I ate my food in silence and just listened. The other two women seemed to enjoy the gossip, but at least they didn't really engage with it too much. If you overlook the content of what the bully talks about, she can be very funny and personable, and she's fairly popular among the staff. But I keep thinking this: if she'll talk shit about everyone else and start/spread/embellish vile rumors, what makes them think she'll spare them when they're not around? 

So anyway, although it was a nice lunch and very nice of the principal to treat us, I'd have been happier sitting at my desk eating a cafeteria meal. 

The only good part of the lunch conversation was when the bully confirmed that she's been offered a job elsewhere and won't be back to our school next year. Pretty soon this woman will disappear from my life forever, and that will be a good thing.

And maybe, just maybe......I won't be back next year, either. 

I have an interview at the other school next Tuesday morning! 

31 comments:

  1. Yay Jennifer! This time will be your time, if you want it. Best luck at the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news! I like to know what's going on with people but NEVER in a mean-spirited way like the bully. Ugh, she must be a very unhappy and insecure person to have to tear others down like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems relatively happy in life. She just enjoys being hateful.

      Delete
  3. People like her are why the workforce is an unpleasant place to be. Good luck on your job interview of Tuesday! Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will always be gossip and those who like the dark side of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and women are usually the worst about it. There's nothing worse than a grown woman who never moved beyond a middle school mentality.

      Delete
  5. I suppose she hasn't applied to the same new school as yourself????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same as Cro... I hope not!!
    Anyway, as you say, it was a pleasant surprise to be treated to lunch, and you did the right thing not participating in the gossipy conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gossip disgusted me. I never participate in that kind of meanness.

      Delete
  7. My fingers will be crossed starting now regarding your job interview. Such a shame the lunch had to be spent with the bully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one way or the other, she won't be in my life much longer. Thank you Mitchell.

      Delete
  8. As mentioned by Cro and Librarian, you should check where the bully has got a new job.! It would be awful if you followed her to the same school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. O gosh - have just read Frances above - do make sure. Bullies never make pleasant companions - same goes for gossips too - if they gossip about others they will gossip about you when yu are not there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard a thing a long, long time ago which was that the only way for some people to feel bigger is to dig a ditch under other people. Sounds like this woman is the queen of that. Cutting others down to make yourself appear better is a sure sign of weakness.
    Now go slay that interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate people like that. Unfortunately, I know people like that. Even worse, they are ever a part of my life, whether I like it or not. I have no choice but to simply ignore it. Whatever you do, make sure that the horrible woman is not moving to the school you are hoping to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck with the job interview! They'll be lucky if they hire you!
    I would probably have to speak up and tell the woman to stop gossiping if I were at that lunch. You have more patience than me, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're absolutely right. It's always wise to be wary of a gossipy person, because they'll be gossipy about you too. Sorry your lunch crowd wasn't optimal, but it's nice that you got a little recognition. Good luck with the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes to you for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes with the interview, but if it doesn't work out, then at least you know that bitch will be gone.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a saying in England: "If you can't say something nice about somebody then don't say anything at all". If you don't blog again before next Tuesday then I wish you all the best in your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes on your upcoming interview. The bully is leaving is cause for celebration. Find out where she is going, you don't want to end up at the same school!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been missing, trying to catch up !
    Good luck with the interview ! Square Ones send woofs !

    ReplyDelete
  20. How hard it must be to have to work with negativism.

    ReplyDelete