Friday, April 14, 2023

Happy Gotcha Day, Poppy!

It's hard to believe, but today makes one year since Poppy came to live with us! She was so tiny and sweet when we first met her. For the first week she lived with us we wondered if she was somehow physically unable to bark, that's how quiet and meek she was. She was just a baby.

What a change since then! She's gone from 24 to 57 pounds (much bigger than we expected her to get) and now she loves to run along the fence barking at any people that come onto or go past our property. When strangers come into our house, especially men, she gets very protective and raises hell and acts mean. When the pest control guy comes over, I have to make her go outside, she acts up so bad! But with people she knows, she's super loving and loyal. She recognizes our friends' cars, and when they come over, she's wagging and whining with excitement before they can even shut off the engine. She loves meeting new people (as long as they're not plumbers or workmen coming into our home) and she really loves meeting other dogs. She's sweet and endearing with us. Every night of her life she sleeps curled up tight against the backs of my legs, and every morning when we all wake up (George sleeps at the foot of the bed) she crawls up to my pillow to say hello and snuggle for a minute before getting up. 

The best part of Poppy coming to live with us, though, is what it's done for George. He's absolutely in love with her! She's always ready to play with him and he eats it up. As much as he loved Ginger, she was older and not nearly so inclined to play, at least not very often. I also think he was sadder and lonelier than we realized after Ginger died. Since Poppy came it's like he's got a whole new lease on life! They're great friends and George often acts like a puppy again himself around her. It's been wonderful to see how much happier he is now that he has a canine bestie again!

Happy Gotcha Day, Peapop! We love you!


Baby Poppy the week she came to live here.

She was so tiny compared to George!


Poppy yesterday afternoon.


15 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day, Poppy! You're a big girl now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been a year. She's grown into a beautiful dog. I'm so pleased it worked out this way. We had the same experience in the States. One of our brother 12-year-old cats died. The other was despondent. We rescued a 7-month-old kitten, they immediately fell in love, and he played like a kitten again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of this post is how happy George is with Poppy in his life. That worked out so good for him and for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doggies are so lucky to have their humans and each other. Poppy really is a gorgeous girl now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day to Poppy! (I love that term, "Gotcha Day.") I didn't realize she's 57 pounds now! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe it's been a year already. I hope we get lucky when we look for another dog. I've gotten so used to having Lily and Buster here I now miss having two dogs. Even though when Lily passed away recently and she was my mother's dog, my mother told me she wants me to pick out the next one. And Buster gets along with cats and dogs. So I don't worry about him getting along with anything. Such cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember how worried you were, and I think I told you not to be, dogs love dogs. They're not like people at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, she really has grown! Glad she and George make such a dynamic duo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your dog pictures. Dogs have a way of working things out with themselves. I had two dogs for years and years. Not having one now has been weird, but I am still not ready to have another. Not just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that you were quite anxious about how they would get along so It's great to hear that it's all working out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A year. Wow! So happy about the Gotcha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely gal. Your two remind me very much of my daughter's two in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cutie! We had a George too but he was a retriever.

    ReplyDelete