Thursday, April 13, 2023

This week at home

This week is flying by. I knew that it would; breaks from work always do, especially this year. I can't shake the mild dread that comes up at the end of every weekend and holiday. This wasn't the case during my first five years at this school! I hate that there's no fun and no joy up there any longer. I'm still looking (and hoping) for positive changes next year. In the meantime, all I can do is keep my head down and wait. This, too, shall pass. (It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass!)  

The cold, rainy weather we had through Easter has finally given way to a warmer, sunny morning. I'd hoped to get my garden planted this week, but I've had a setback. I moved my tomato plants out to the porch the other day to let them start acclimating to the outdoor light, and some of the leaves got sunburnt. Then, I was stupid (again) and left the plants out there overnight and it got down to 40 degrees. The next morning lots of the new young foliage had turned brown and shriveled, and I had to trim them to the point that they now look kind of pathetic. Most of the plants will probably recover, but they're going to be very delayed.  I've been so mad at myself! It's not like I didn't know any better. I don't know what I was thinking.

In wildlife news: the pair of Carolina wrens that built a nest in our old, rusted-out grill have successfully reared a brood of babies! The youngsters fledged yesterday. Early in the morning and all though the first part of the afternoon there was a flurry of activity and bird chatter (sometimes I could even see the grill moving as the babies inside hopped around!) and nervous behavior by the parents. Then, late in the afternoon, all activity and noise suddenly ceased completely. I cautiously crept over and lifted the lid, and there was nothing inside but an empty nest. 

 The babies are out in the big, wild world now---I wish them the best! :)



The spot of green is the rusted-out hole in the bottom that the birds used as a door.

The bluebirds in the nest box are still coming and going all day, so I'm assuming their babies are still small. I dare not peek, not while there are likely little hatchlings in there. The adults are so beautiful! We've really enjoyed watching them from the porch in the afternoons.

I had to be up and about early this morning. Poppy had an 8:15 vet appointment for her yearly shots and checkup, so I was up and showered and caffeinated by 8:00. The new vet's office is less than 10 minutes down the road, and of course Martina works there. The dogs are always so happy to see her, especially Poppy! Now it's only 10am and I have the whole day in front of me to do whatever I like. These are hours to be savored (away from work).

Back tomorrow. xx

22 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have baby birds in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's been fun having two nests (so far) this spring to watch!

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how quickly those little birds leave the nest. When it's time, it's time! There's no going back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. Once baby birds leave the nest, they're out for good! The parent birds will continue to look after them and help them find food for another week or so, though.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I wonder how in the world the parents decided to fly up into an empty charcoal grill and build a nest! It seems like an unusual place!

      Delete
  4. Aw. I'm sorry about your tomatoes. They'll catch up. And don't beat yourself up over this. We all do things that we look back on and say, "What was I thinking?" This is not earth-shaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the tomatoes will mostly catch up, but I'm disappointed that I started seeds so early (in order to have good size plants to put in the bed come April) only to lose the advantage of it by doing something dumb. But you're right, it's not earth-shaking. :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you are enjoying your week off. At least you are getting closer to the end of the school year. It should fly by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only six weeks (plus two days) left once I go back on Monday. As you say, it should fly by.

      Delete
  6. Our Easter weather was cool, no rain. And I don't know about down there, but it's hot up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had rain on Easter, and then much cooler weather for a few days. It's warmer again now, and more rain is coming.

      Delete
  7. How I loved watching baby birds fledge, especially the little wrennies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we like wrens a lot, too. They're sweet and bold little birds.

      Delete
  8. It did not take the wren family long to have their little ones ready to fledge! And the bluebirds will soon follow.
    It's a pity about your tomato plants, but as you say, the plants will recover - nature is often much sturdier than we think.
    Lovely to have a beautiful sunny day ahead and your appointment already out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: The paper flower bouquet you sent me for my birthday has been sitting on my desk ever since I put all my birthday presents away. When I am working from home, as I did yesterday and today, it smiles at me every time I look at it. And yesterday, my boss and I were on a video call and he told me all the tasks he had completed (some of them set by me for him). He wanted to be told how good he had been (sometimes he really is like a child - but don't we all thrive on appreciation at work?), and I lifted the paper flowers to the camera and said that these were his reward :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you're enjoying the paper flowers! I wanted to do a little something extra for you on your birthday this year, and I love pop up style cards. :)

      Yes, we all thrive on appreciation at work. Your boss sounds like a nice man to work for.

      Delete
  9. So exciting to have baby birds in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! We so love watching the birds when we're out sitting on the back porch.

      Delete
  10. I also derive so much pleasure watching baby birds being raised in my backyard. I have one bird house that was specifically designed for swallows. The sparrows, who have taken over all my other houses, have left it alone. There's still hope I'll have a breeding pair of swallows (my favourite bird) this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cross my fingers for you that a pair of swallows move in and raise a family!

      Delete
  11. will you be having a grilling dinner in celebration?

    ReplyDelete