Saturday, April 1, 2023

Birthday recap

No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth after my last blog post. In case you were wondering!

My birthday week/weekend was a lot of fun. I had intended to write about it right away, but then it was Monday morning before I knew it, and that kicked off a really busy, really stressful week at work. By this past Wednesday afternoon I was crying in my office, it was so bad. After that, though, things improved, and I managed to end the week yesterday feeling okay again. Exhausted, but okay. So here I am.

Let me rewind to my birthday, March 23rd. When I got to work that morning, I caught a teacher-friend of mine in the process of putting a "Happy Birthday" banner over my office door. It was so sweet of her! It really started my day off on a happy note. I made her pose for a picture to capture the moment!


Other gifts were soon to follow. A big card made by the kids (and teacher) in the autistic class, along with a little decorative bucket filled with candy and an assortment of fun pencils. A pot of fringe tulips and a card from a handful of other teachers. A beautiful bouquet of spring flowers and balloons sent by my parents. Hugs from several of my favorite students. It was probably the best day at work I've had all year!





The fringe tulips after they finally opened. Aren't they gorgeous?!

When I got home, Gregg gave me a water lily bulb he special-ordered for me to go in the container pond where the goldfish (rescued from the school aquariums) live. It doesn't look like much now, but it's going to be beautiful in a few months. The variety is called "Georgia Peach". 


My other birthday gifts were a new pair of walking shoes, and a nice set of knives (sorely needed in my kitchen).

On to Saturday, March 25th. My little get-together was fun, although only Marla and Martina were able to make it. I'd hoped Martina's husband, Will, would be able to come, but he had to work until too late. I also urged Gregg to invite his friend Ben, but he declined to do so on the grounds that Ben, although a nice and fun guy, likes to drink beer and when he drinks beer, he often gets loud and kind of annoying. I told Gregg I didn't mind (I wanted him to have some male company and Ben's a good guy despite his faults) but Gregg said he didn't want to risk him making a nuisance of himself. 

Marla did bring her little girl, Carsen, for a while right at first. As always, her daddy came and picked her up after she'd visited for a little while and had some food. That little girl is really growing up.

Carsen and Poppy

For food, I remembered something we'd done at a previous workplace for a staff lunch: crock pot hot dogs! Yes, hot dogs can be heated for a couple of hours in a crock pot and they turn out perfectly steamed and delicious. The night before I made an awesome batch of homemade hot dog chili (if I do say so myself!) that could be kept warm in a smaller crock. I also made my homemade guacamole that always gets raves, bought a couple of different kinds of dip (including salsa), and several kinds of chips and crackers. The first local strawberries are ready early this year, so I went and bought some and made strawberry daiquiris for drinks. And for dessert, we had a bakery-purchased caramel cake. It was all so easy and so good! Marla brought a beautiful platter of fruit with a yogurt dip, and Martina brought chocolates and candy purchased on her recent trip to Germany to visit her grandmother. We weren't lacking for good things to eat!







We had fun. The weather was nice, so we spent several hours on the back porch, talking and drinking daiquiris.

The next thing I did to celebrate my birthday was almost a week later, this past Wednesday. I went out to dinner with Little P. and his mom. As you all may remember, P. and I share a birthday so we had to do something to celebrate! We went to a fancy build-your-own hamburger restaurant (his choice), and I gave him a couple of new books for his gift. He started reading one of them at the table, so I consider that a success. :) The funny thing about giving him books was that my gift from him and his mom was a gift card to the bookstore! Haha! We both love books.

Before we left the restaurant, we had to take our traditional birthday selfie! I look terrible in it because that was the afternoon I'd cried at work, and my face was still puffy and my makeup was gone. Seeing my favorite little boy made me feel better, though! We're now 48 and 10 years old.



The inside of my birthday card from him.


35 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were crying at work. Sometimes I cry at work, too, because it can be so stressful. Every morning I wonder if I'll get through the day unscathed. I know some people at the school have been nasty to you, but look at all the people who love you and think you're great. Happy Birthday!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even on the bad days, I feel lucky to have my job. This too shall pass! Thanks Janie.

      Delete
  2. I never cried at work, but I have cried all the way home in my car, because of the stress - particularly that caused by the boss's adult son who sat behind me in his cubicle and was a complete a-hole. It was a family-owned business, and I was newly divorced and really needed the money. I did look for other work in my field but could never find the wages to match what I was making there. I think my boss paid me more because of his son. So, I stuck it out for 15 years until I came into an inheritance and could retire at 63. I earned every single dollar there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet your retirement was a huge relief! Like you, I earn every dollar I make at my job this year.

      Delete
  3. That water lily is going to be fantastic, you'll have to post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already pushing out tiny lily pads, so hopefully flowers will follow! I'll definitely post pictures.

      Delete
  4. I want to see the water lily too. Little P has such a grown up face for 10. He is a beautiful child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little P. really does look older than 10. And he's getting so tall!

      Delete
  5. That is a great photo of you and Little P, he is turning out to be a handsome guy. All those food photos and flowers show you had lots of fun celebrations, including from friends at work. Sorry to hear about the tears at work, remember work is a four letter word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little P doesn't look quite so little any more. What a nice boy. Belated happy birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a really nice boy. Wonderful manners, smart, and loving. Thanks Cro!

      Delete
  7. Both your birthday celebrations sound wonderful, and I am so glad that you and Little P had the chance to see each other (and his Mum, of course)!
    Hopefully, the good people in your life and nice events can outweigh the stress and awfulness at work.
    By the way, you still look beautiful, no matter the state (or non-state) of your make-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's almost spring break! This week is only four days!

      Delete
  8. Screw work. That was a love-filled birthday week. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well it sounds like a very successful birthday, despite the work drama. Accentuate the positive, as the song says! (And as you did in this post.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stressful week didn't happen until after my birthday, thank goodness!

      Delete
  10. So glad that you had such a happy birthday. The food looks delicious and what caring gifts you had from friends and colleagues. The heart shaped card and the gift were so thoughtful - something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heart shape card were from the autistic class and their sweet teacher. It has a place of honor on my office wall!

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry that work is so horribly stressful. But my lord, how they do love you! At least some of the people there obviously appreciate you. As do your friends. As do we! Your photos are gorgeous and I have to tell you that the fringed tulip is something I've never seen and it is amazing. I'm happy to know that Little P. and his mother are still part of your life. That is such a beautiful picture of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Moon, I thank you for your kind words! Really and truly, only one person at work causes me stess, and the rest of the people I work with are wonderful. Little P. and his mother are both dear to me.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like a wonderful with birthday with people showing you how much they care about, and appreciate you. As to work stress, it'll soon be over. Summer holidays are almost here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer holidays--YES! And before that we have spring break. In fact, this week is a four day week and then we're out until April 17th.

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad you got so much love for your birthday! Hope a better job comes through for you soon so you will have no more crying at work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to hope I'll simply outlast the people who make me unhappy! I'd love my job again if one or two people went away.

      Delete
  14. A lovely account of a happy birthday. At 48 you are just a young lass Jennifer! Come over here and sit on Uncle Neil's knee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A young lass" well, thanks...but I don't quite believe it! :)

      Delete
  15. It's been awhile since I've dropped by and I was delighted to see such happy photos. may these next twelve months be marvelous for you !

    ReplyDelete
  16. a very very happy birthday to you...glad you had a great day....

    ReplyDelete