Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August Full Moon

I just love full moons.

Every month I try to make time to sit outside under the light of the full moon and bask in her glow. Today has started off with some serious cloud cover so I don't know if that will be possible tonight. This would annoy me ordinarily, but it's been so hot this summer that any cloudy, cooler day is welcome...even if it does deprive me of moon gazing!

I always make up my own "moon names" for each month that have meaning to me in my part of the world. The farmer's almanac calls this the "sturgeon moon"..........which doesn't mean much to me in here in South Carolina. So here are some moon names for August that I've come up with:

Hot Moon
Thunder Moon
Moon of Shooting Stars
Rainy Moon
Scuppernong Moon

That's all I can come up with for now. Next month will be one of my favorite full moons of the year, the Harvest Moon! I am also beginning to make plans to invite some lady friends over to celebrate the Chinese Mid-Autumn Moon festival, which falls on the full moon in September. More about that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment