Friday, April 17, 2015

Nerve-racking








Well, as I mentioned in my last post, I've been interviewing for a new job. Last week, after a one-on-one interview with the Executive Director of the agency where the position is located, I got a call back requesting that I come and meet with "a few members of the board of directors".

A few members. Okay. Sure.

When I got there, I was directed to a room where nine people were seated around a table waiting to ask me questions! Holy Moly! Talk about a nerve-racking experience!!

I had already had one hell of a morning, trying to get ready and get to the interview on time. First, I discovered that the hose I had on had a run in them. Luckily, I had a brand new pair still in the packaging to change into....except, when I went to put them on (in a huge rush) one of my fingernails snagged them, creating an even bigger run in that pair! So I had to put on the original ones with the smaller run and hope no one would notice. (I don't normally dress up that much for the bookstore. I hate wearing heels with a passion, and my current job involves too much walking on a daily basis to ever wear them. So hose are not an item that I have in abundance in my wardrobe!) Okay, so then I was dressed and about ready to go.....and I couldn't find my keys!! I tore through the house, looking...looking....looking.....finally, out of desperation (the clock was ticking by this time) I grabbed a spare car key we got when we bought the Scion. Okay, finally I was ready to go. I headed out the door, only to discover it had started to pour rain. I went back inside for an umbrella....which I couldn't find either! I ended up putting a plastic bag over my head!!!!!!!!!!! And arriving at the interview exactly one minute late. Whew.

Then I discovered that there were nine people waiting to ask me questions. It took an hour, during which I felt the nervous sweat rolling down my sides. I was so happy to get the hell out of there when it was over! What a morning!

But, I must have done well. The Executive Director called me yesterday and told me that the board had voted to move forward with my hiring!! I have to supply them with 3 professional references, and at some point next week after they've been contacted I'll be sitting down with my potential boss to iron out the last details of my contract.

So, wooooo hoooooo!!!! It looks like I'm getting a new job!

As soon as everything is finalized, I will share all the details here on the blog. For now, it's enough to say that I'll finally be using my degree in Human Services, it will be only 32 hours a week (four days, Tuesday through Friday from 8am-4:30pm), the pay will be a bit better than I'm making now working a full 40 hours, I will have state benefits and health insurance, and no more working nights, weekends, or holidays!!!! I'm just thrilled.

Especially now that the nerve-racking interview process is over!

8 comments:

  1. Great Jennifer. I thought a panel of 3 was bad enough, but 9, wow, how ever did they handle the questioning? You wouldn't know which face to focus on! Great, a new job is so exciting.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the word got out that the potential new Volunteer Coordinator was coming in, and almost every one who sits on the advisory board for the agency decided to show up to have a look at me! Haha. I focused on the faces of the three gentlemen at the table...they all seemed friendly and approachable...the women, not so much!

      Delete
  2. I don't know why it would require nine people to conduct an interview, but congratulations. No one will hire me. It's because I eat worms.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, I am sure you are delightful, worm eating and all! :)

      Delete
  3. Interviews; I hated them. The very first one I had was in front of 6 people.... I didn't get (or want) the job. So, congratulations; sounds like you came up trumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cro! We still have details to work out next week before I formally accept the job but I think it's almost a done deal! At any rate, At least I don't have to interview for it anymore!

      Delete
  4. Years ago, they were hiring a teacher at the elementary level. They had a dozen kids, a half dozen teachers, and the principal. I felt sorry for the applicants.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You super duper lady Jennifer! Well done.

    ReplyDelete