Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hopeful

This past Friday, on the day of the blue moon, I had a job interview with the principal of a school where I'm hoping to get a job! It's a clerical position with a very low salary, but I'm hoping that since I'm more educated and have more experience than the job requires I can get enough money over the base salary to make it possible to accept the job. That is if I get offered the job!

I think the interview went well. My friend who's a teacher at the school thinks very highly of the principal and has recommended me highly to him. He seemed like a very nice guy--young, passionate about his job, and invested in making a difference in the lives of the kids at his school. I felt very comfortable during the interview--there was also a lady there but I can't remember what, exactly, her job title is. They were both easy to talk to and asked fairly standard questions. I hope I made a good impression.

Speaking of making an impression......I'm not a girly-girl kind of woman. When I'm not at work, my typical attire consists almost entirely of jeans, t-shirts, comfortable walking shoes, and little or no make up. Even at my job as one of the managers at a bookstore, I try to lean towards the "casual" side of "business casual" as hard as possible. So getting extra dressed up is a big deal for me. For the interview, I wore a business suit with a skirt and low heels, and I had to go out and buy new hose. (I hate wearing hose and tend to make runs in them after just one wearing). So I bought a pair of thigh-highs thinking they would be cooler in the summer heat than full-on pantyhose. Well, after the interview was over and I stood up and shook hands with the principal, I felt the top of the hose on the left leg start to roll down a little bit. I just barely made it out the door before they rooooolllllllled past the bottom of my skirt, and by the time I made it to my car the entire left side was flapping at my ankle! Thank goodness it didn't happen until I was out of sight! Smooth, huh? LOL!! I guess I'll never manage to be very ladylike!

8 comments:

  1. Great story about the stockings. I hope you get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I giggled the whole way home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's a horrible thing being assessed by other people (who one may not think worthy), so the only acceptable outcome would be for them to say 'yes'.

    From about May to October I wear just shorts and T shirt; I have a good supply of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cro. I'd never wear anything other than shorts and T shirts in the summer if I didn't have to.

      Delete
  4. I wore thigh highs only once for that very reason. I have subbed for the school secretary, and made 9.50 an hour. They haven't raised that in seven years. Hopefully you have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll stick to regular pantyhose after this! I'm sure glad it didn't happen in front of anyone

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I think I could be happy there, even with a big pay cut. We shall see. If it doesn't work out, I'll just keep looking. :)

      Delete