Sunday, October 4, 2015

State of emergency---Flood!!

Even though South Carolina has been spared the hurricane, another emergency is unfolding...floods!

This area has already received anywhere from 14-18 inches of rain in the past two days, and between 8 and 12 more inches are expected through tomorrow night.

I've never seen anything like this in my life. My city is under a mandatory curfew and parts of this county are being evacuated. Most of the counties in Eastern and Central South Carolina are experiencing flooding on an historic level. I couldn't even drive back home from work this afternoon in my small car. My husband had to come pick me up in his truck, and we weren't sure we were going to make it, the roads were so bad. It was a relief when we finally found a way into our neighborhood. Several access roads were absolutely not accessible.

Here are some photos from around the state. It's a very serious situation.









These next two photos are fuzzy, but I'm including them anyway. It's an old cemetery in Mount Pleasant, SC, and you can see what's happening to the graves.....



The next few photos are from my front door. This is my front yard and the street in front of our house this afternoon and just after sunset.






I'm thankful that my friends and family are all safe at home right now. I hope things don't continue to go downhill tonight, but with several more inches of rain forecast I must admit that I'm nervous. I'll try to update the blog tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Gosh, that looks awful, has the water come inside the house? There were some flash floods in the south of France yesterday, with 17 deaths. Luckily we just had no more than a bit of rain. I think your hurricane is now heading towards Europe. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No water in our house, thank goodness. We've been lucky. Lots of people have had their houses flooded and ruined.

      This is a first ever in this state. Some areas have already gotten 18+ inches of rain with more expected tonight. Dams are breaking, rivers and creeks are overflowing, and places very close to the sea (like Charleston) are in big trouble.

      Delete
  2. Stay safe Jennifer and thank you so much for sharing,i hope you shall be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fine, and the water around our house is receding. We have been very fortunate. Thanks, Yael!

      Delete
  3. I have heard this described as a 'once in a thousand years' event. Bad luck for it falling in your lifetime. Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our state has never experienced anything like this. Final rainfall totals in some areas have reached 23 inches!

      Delete
  4. I didn't not know your lived there.
    Another blog friend Is fine also. So great to know your OK .
    At lest for now your above the water.
    I lived in California with earth quakes, had to evacuated as my home was destroyed in a wildfire, we had, 100 year floods and mud slides engulfing homes. I know a little of what you are going through.
    Take care and be safe.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I live in SC and this has been the most incredible thing. Some of the footage from the Columbia and Charleston areas is terrifying. Thank goodness the worst seems to be over.

      Delete
  5. That looks scary! I'm glad you're ok and safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete