Saturday, September 30, 2017

Fall Plant and Flower Show

This weekend is the annual Pee Dee State Farmer's Market's annual fall plant and flower show. It's a great time to plant perennials in South Carolina, so there are lots of them for sale with vendors from all around the eastern part of the state. Of course, there are also fruits and vegetables for sale, and fair food, and crafts. It's usually a nice time. The weather is gorgeous this weekend and perfect for the show, so my mom came to visit and we went and had a look around. I took a few pictures to share.

Blue sky autumn day.



Image may contain: flower, plant and food
Cheerful fall wreaths!




Image may contain: one or more people, food and outdoor
There were so many pumpkins. 

Remember kids: all worm castings are NOT the same!





Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoor
I ended up buying a pot of these marigolds (and a small pumpkin).



Perennials for sale.


I'm not sure what these flowers are, but they're very pretty!

Beautiful fresh beets and sweet potatoes.....

...and "country grapes" for $1.99/pd.

Speaking of country grapes...!

  1. Apples from the mountains of North Carolina.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was fun! I love the farmer's market, especially when there are extra vendors there!

      Delete
  2. How glorious! Those flowers are a variety of canna lilies I believe. I can't wait to get my fall garden in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you your fall garden....and your summer garden...and your chickens! One day I hope to have a garden and maybe a few hens. We're planning to finally buy a house next year.

      Delete
  3. Oh My Goodness, so beautiful.
    Look at all the pumpkins lined up in a row. Fabulous.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous farmers' market, a great set of photos Jennifer. And even more pumpkins, this lot look as though they have been polished and lacquered. Thanks for the walk through the market.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the pumpkins were sprayed with stuff to make them shiny like that. I think it also helps preserve them a bit longer. I got a plain pumpkin.

      Delete
  5. It all looks terrific, and those big shiny Orange Pumpkins are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the fall flowers and pumpkins and gourds!

      Delete
  6. Everyone has already said it but those pumpkins are well posh. The ones that I see around are all shapes and sizes and not shiny. Impressive blue sky too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skies are heavenly blue today, too. It's best month of the year for blue skies in South Carolina!

      Delete
  7. This is great... Well, except for the beets. Oh, how I hate beets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know how to go about preparing a beet. I think I had pickled ones at my grandma's house when I was a girl, but that's the extent of my beet experiences.

      Delete
  8. It all looks so fresh and lovely. The light in the first picture is so sharp and clear. How was your mum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was okay. That's the first time we've done something together since....well, maybe ever. We had lunch and shopped at the market. She seemed happy to spend time with me, but I do wish she wouldn't be so gloomy all the time. She spent the first half of the day complaining about her and my dad's poor health, getting older, etc. etc. If we get together again anytime soon I'm going to tell her to knock it off. It's depressing. But by the end of the day she seemed much more cheerful--complaining is just a bad habit with her.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you should try getting her drunk.

      Delete