Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Sheffield fly-over honors WWII American airmen

I read an article in our local paper yesterday about a movement to honor a crew of American WWII airmen who sacrificed their lives to save a group of children in Sheffield, England in 1944. I immediately thought of my friend Yorkshire Pudding who lives in Sheffield. I hope he will get a chance to see the memorial fly-over on Friday.

Here is the first part of the article:

SHEFFIELD, England (AP) — Tony Foulds has a routine when he visits the memorial for 10 American airmen killed in World War II.
First, he kisses his finger and lays it on the metal plate bearing their names. Then he sits beside the rock, laying a shaky hand on its smooth slope with the care of someone offering comfort to a loved one. As he taps the stone, Foulds tells the airmen about the weather and his plans for the day.
It's the least he can do, because Foulds believes the young Americans sacrificed their lives to save his. The pilot decided not to land his crippled plane on Endcliffe Park, in the English city of Sheffield, to avoid a group of children on the grass.
"I pray for them every morning," the 82-year-old retired engineer said. "I would've been dead if they didn't do what they did."
Tony has long dreamed of a more public recognition of the sacrifice made by the crew of the B-17G Flying Fortress nicknamed "Mi Amigo." He wanted an aerial display — a flypast— befitting men who fought in the sky.
On Friday, he will get his wish. The U.S. and the Royal Air Force are set to honor Lt. John G. Kriegshauser and his crew.
But even that won't ease Foulds' guilt...

13 comments:

  1. H.I. was a child in Sheffield during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words. We have no idea of the human courage and love that is all around us, do we? Thank you, Jennifer. I needed this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gratitude has no ending date. It is a sad but beautiful piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just went and read the link that you gave here. Has this been reported about on the US news? It would if I controlled the American airwaves! Thanks for telling me about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely man. He saw the 'plane crash, and devoted his life to their memory. A great story of people clubbing together to do good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fly past will take off just south of us in Lincolnshire, it will be an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful story. Thanks Jennifer. I had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jennifer, I read the story. Different times. Old memories. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was featured on The One Show last night - an amazing story but so sad that he has felt guilty for so long - he was just a child

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to Sheffield tomorrow and several friends were there today watching the flypast... very moving

    ReplyDelete
  11. Encliffe park was filled by 1000s of Sheffielders. If I still lived there I would be there

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know Jennifer, I was there to honour the lost airmen - along with 10,000 fellow Sheffielders.

    ReplyDelete