Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Time off

It's wonderful to be off work this week, and a much-needed break. Work continues to be a mostly unhappy place, although far more tolerable than it was at the beginning of this school year. We've just finished our first quarter, and in six months (when contracts for the next year have to be signed) there should be plenty of job openings in the district to apply for. I'm crossing my fingers that something comes open at this school because it's only about a mile from my house, it's a very nice new building/campus, they have a really good staff and principal, and it serves younger students, kindergarten through fifth grade. Marla's little girl, Carsen, will be starting kindergarten there next year in their Spanish immersion program. This would be the ideal transfer for me! But of course, there has to be an opening first. 

Even though I'm off this week, I've been busy. I've washed and vacuumed out my car, organized and cleaned my pantry, gave the refrigerator a major cleaning, and taken comforters and other large bedding to the laundromat for a good wash (things that wouldn't fit in my washer at home). 


Marco "helping" me clean the pantry. :)

The big chore of the week was finally chopping down the dead dogwood tree in our front yard. Gregg has a small chainsaw that we used to do the job.  I took a final picture of the tree before we got started.


It was bigger than it looks in this picture. We got it down and also cut up a bunch of firewood from it, to be used for a bonfire later on. Now that it's gone, our front yard looks strange every time we forget about it and glance outside. Hopefully the little crabapple tree will make it to next spring (despite the deer damage) and will begin to grow into the empty space. We've contrived a wire cage thing to go around it to give it a chance to grow out, so hopefully the deer won't be an issue anymore.

This morning I had to go to the dentist to get a crown re-done. I was dreading it, but it turned out to be much easier than I expected. Afterwards I drove down to the allergist's office to get my weekly allergy shot, so now that's out of the way, too. Tomorrow I'm going to see my parents. I haven't seen them in a long while and my dad's been back in the hospital. His health keeps deteriorating, and I need to go see him more often while I have the chance. After that, I plan to relax and enjoy my last few days off. 




These two love it when I'm at home all day!

23 comments:

  1. You’ve been busy on your week off! I do hope you land a position at a different school later this year. Toxic work environments are no fun. I love your little helper! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never feel able to trust my current boss, and that's not a comfortable position to be in!

      Delete
  2. George looks to be deep in thought and Poppy like she wants her nap. That school you have in mind sounds like it might be a good match for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George was watching the meal I was eating disappear and was hoping for me to share!

      Delete
  3. The puppies look like they are just so over having you home!!!!! I had a dogwood branch of sizable length come down earlier in the season, and it was excellent for the bonfire we had. And it smelled good with the other oak and pine branches we had. And fall is the perfect time for a night fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking forward to building a fire in the backyard later in the fall! I may even swipe the grate from the grill and cook a couple of nice steaks when the coals get to a good cooking temperature!

      Delete
  4. Marco truly is a splash of color. My dogs are really used to my being home so much more now that I'm part-time, I guess because it gives me more time to spoil them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rich green colors of male eclectus...and the females are bright red! My dogs love it so much when I'm home, and their favorite times are when Gregg is here, too. They like for the whole pack to be together!

      Delete
  5. You've been a busy bee! Enjoy your visit with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those relatively short breaks from work often the busiest? Everything you don't get round to doing during normal working weeks has to be done then, and you have been really productive!
    I am keeping fingers crossed for you to find a job at your "dream" school, you certainly deserve it and they should be happy to have you.
    Sorry to hear about your Dad's deteriorating health. It is good to go and see him while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always feel compelled to get to extra chores that it's hard to get around to during regular work weeks. I hope something comes open at Delmae, or at least another school that's close by and has a good staff. I'm not very picky at this point!

      Delete
  7. Oh those puppy faces! It’s so kind of Marco to help you clean and organize. Hope the visit with your parents goes smoothly. And I’ve got my fingers crossed for a great new job at that school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visit with my parents went fine. Thank you Mitchell!

      Delete
  8. Glad you're enjoying your break! It always feels good to get stuff done around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! And lots of stuff is hard to tackle during a normal work week.

      Delete
  9. (Oh, finally I can comment--Blogger had blocked me or something?)
    Anyway, just to ask, do you make pickled peppers to match your parrot? :)
    Enjoy your long weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having trouble commenting on blogs for weeks now! Blogger really is annoying--but I guess we get what we pay for. :) Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Breaks are what makes work survivable. I really am keeping my fingers crossed that something wonderful opens up for you, something without all the periferal nonsense. Up here, they are begging for school staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping for an opening at a school that's convenient to my house. I've gotten spoiled working less than 2 miles from home!

      Delete
  11. Delmae Elementary would be perfect for you. The school logo is a dog's head - maybe it's George? How's he doing now after that incident you reported?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've seen some definite improvement in his walking. Last night he did a very short walk (not even half a block) without a trace of a limp. But sometimes the limp is still very much there, so we're continuing to try to make him rest it so it can heal. I'm sure the anti-inflammatory medicine is making the most difference, but I've been dosing his second meal each day with fish oil, too. Thank you for asking about him!

      Delete
  12. oh to have firewood a proper fire! The dog always melts me.

    ReplyDelete