Wednesday, July 5, 2023

July already

Welcome to July!

 Yesterday was a quiet 4th for us. Gregg had to work until 4pm (although he said the store was dead slow) and I spent the day at home hiding inside from the heat. The last few days have been blazing hot with dangerous heat indexes, and it's just not a good time of year to be outdoors. I made chili cheese dogs for our supper (the chili was from scratch; I've grown to hate all canned hot dog chili) with potato chips on the side and ice cream for dessert. That seemed festive enough for us! The dogs looked a bit sloppy, and had to be eaten with a fork, but they were delicious if I do say so myself.




Also yesterday I finally picked the first few tomatoes from my garden along with a couple of cucumbers. We have loads of green tomatoes and I hope they'll start to ripen before the stink bugs get to them. I've been checking the plants every day and picking off the annoying little buggers. They're lucky I don't like to use pesticides because they make me furious! I picked these three tomatoes while they're still a bit green to save them. Finishing ripening on the counter won't hurt anything.


Just a little while ago it started to thunder and then to pour rain. We certainly need it! Keeping the garden alive in heat indexes of 107 degrees requires a lot of watering. Of course, nothing is setting fruit in that kind of heat, but as I said, there are lots of tomatoes (peppers, too) that only need a little more time to ripen. 

My vacation is rapidly winding down. Monday morning will be here in a flash! I'm excited, and a little nervous, too. For the first couple of weeks the office staff will be on a summer schedule, which means 9am-3pm, Monday through Thursday. That should be a gentle re-entry into work! The teachers won't return until two weeks after me, and the students, three weeks. There should be ample time to get settled in before the "real" school year starts. 

After the children return, I'll be on my regular schedule of 7am-2:30pm, Monday through Friday. I'll be waking up super early, but it's going to be nice to be off so early in the afternoon. On days when I'll have to stop by the bank on my way home with a deposit (which will be most days during the school year) I'll be allowed to leave at 2:00pm. You can't ask for any better than that! 

Yesterday I ordered some new clothes for work. Two dresses and a pair of slacks. I'm going to need some more things once the weather cools down, too. I've been on a diet (off and on) since the beginning of the year, and I've lost 25 pounds. I'm hoping to drop another 10 by the time September rolls around, and most of my pants are already loose as it is. I'll never complain about having to shop when weight loss is the cause! :) Of course, I'm losing very, very, slowly, but I'm pleased because for once in my life, I'm sticking with new habits. Slow progress is still progress, right?

31 comments:

  1. Slow progress is definitely progress and “ they” say more sustainable. Good for you! Wow, I was surprised that you will be starting at 7:00 in the morning! When do classes begin? - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an elementary school, with K-5th grade, so classes begin around 7:45 or 8:00. And of course, some kids get to school before class begins to eat breakfast, so....it's an earlier start than the middle school I worked at before. As the school secretary, I have to be there early to deal with the front office (and the day's business).

      Delete
  2. Those chili dogs do look yummy. Good job!
    You are going to be terrific at your new job. All those sweet children will be smiling at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I do hope I can learn fast and do a good job.

      Delete
  3. Those chili dogs look dee-lish!
    We got rain here, too, but nothing to cool us off heat-wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SC has been steamy hot swamp for the past week or two.

      Delete
  4. Those veggies look delish! And a big congrats on the weight loss!! 25 pounds is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I need to work harder and lose some more, but I'm grateful to have a 25 pound start!

      Delete
  5. That's great progress! I need to lose 15-20 pounds but keep putting it off. The chili cheese dogs look delicious but is there mustard on them too? I love mustard but have never seen it on a chili dog. Hope that the transition to the new school is smooth and positive. When I grew tomatoes, I would always ripen them in a sealed paper sack. I'm impatient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to add extra mustard to hot dogs! And when I'm not having chili, I like saurkraut, too.

      Delete
  6. 25 lbs in 6 months is excellent progress! The slower the weight loss, the more likely it is to stay off, I believe. Good for you for sticking with new eating habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure has been slow. I do hope it sticks! :)

      Delete
  7. I think with dieting slow steady dieting is the rule - well done you for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New habits and slow progress are the best way to do it. Good going. 25 pounds is a lot of potatoes! Picture that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of potatoes! You're right. Now if I could get rid of some of the cottage cheese on my stomach and thighs....LOL!!

      Delete
  9. That's a lot of weight off, Jennifer. Congratulations. Enjoy some new clothes. It's hotter than hell here, too, but we have a thunderstorm nearly every afternoon. I worked in my yard Saturday morning until one of the men who lives next door told me to go inside because he didn't want to have to drag me in! I was fine, though. It will be an early day for you but finishing early is nice.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful out in the heat! Your neighbor was being sensible.

      I wish we'd get more storms. We've had rain once or twice, and could use a lot more!

      Delete
  10. Jennifer, I hope you are very proud of yourself. I would be thrilled to lose 25 pounds. And now you're about to start a new part of your life, learning new skills, meeting new people, doing new things. You truly are an amazing and lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm kind of sad that the year is halfway over and I've only lost 25 pounds. Now, I know that's significant, but there have been weeks at a time with no progress (other than maintenance) because I wasn't trying very hard. Now that I'm going to be distracted with work for awhile, I'm going to get serious with it again.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the weight loss! That's a significant amount! I think chili dogs SHOULD be eaten with a fork -- so it sounds like you made them just right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popping them under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese made them extra good!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your weight loss. I have been on a diet of sorts myself and I have lost about 10 lbs since the beginning of May. Also, good luck on your new job! In my teaching job I had to be at school at 7:00 for a 7:20 start to the day. I grew to like it because the day was over at 2:30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read about your trip to Japan! WOW, Michael!

      Delete
  13. Those hot dogs look fabulous. I admire you losing weight and am aiming to lose some too. Your new schedule will have an early start, which means leaving early so there is still plenty of day left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of having plenty of day left when I leave work!

      Delete
  14. Hmmm... I know I left a comment here yesterday (or the day before), but it has disappeared. Probably in your spam folder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidently deleted your comment! I'm so sorry! I did read it though. Thank you Meike.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on the weight loss! Slow and steady is the way it works and you're working it! // OK now here's a news flash from my comments lounge - I found a rose source for you and got all excited and posted it on the wrong blog. sigh. So: B.B. Barnes in South Carolina sells 'Munstead Wood' and carries a lot of David Austin roses. If you only grow one rose in your life, this is the rose to grow. You get a 6ft. tall spreading vase-shaped shrub that will give you viable cuttings generously - buy one, grow as many thereafter as you please (which I did!) It has it all, including a fragrance born in Heaven. If you gave it half a day of shade, some horse manure, got the soil a little acid and put it in an area with good air circulation, this rose would be happy as a clam! The only care I gave it was to shape it back. It is worth any price you pay for it. You simply cannot go wrong with David Austin. This rose is an investment!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. .....*sigh.* See also rosa 'Black Baccara'. Made for your climate and an absolute SHOWSTOPPER!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes yes yes to the tomatoes what more does one need in life really?

    ReplyDelete