Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Green, growing, blooming..

I went on a bit of a "potting up" spree last Sunday. We had several bits of houseplants I'd clipped and put in vases of water to grow roots, as well as some older potted plants that needed more room. Then a friend of Gregg's (a bit of a plant collector) sent me the start of a new-to-me plant on Saturday, so on Sunday morning I went to Lowe's and bought potting soil and new pots. I also bought a bag of orchid mix because several of my orchids needed their medium refreshed. 

Here are some of my houseplants, as well as a big bouquet of flowers I bought myself last week to celebrate the day when I paid off our mortgage. I love having cut flowers in the house.










These last pictures are from my office at work. I have a pretty blooming orchid and the peace lily my coworkers gave me when dad died. My office window faces due east and plants really love the bright morning sun.






I love surrounding myself with green, growing, blooming things. Especially in the winter.

19 comments:

  1. All your plants look so healthy and vibrant! The bouquet of cut flowers is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plants are beautiful! I love the way house plants make a home feel so warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have green thumbs, Jennifer - as opposed to my black ones :-D
    Which one is the "new to you" plant that Gregg's friend gave you?
    I am curious about the grate in the floor boards on the 2nd picture. Does it lead to a secret cellar where unwelcome visitors and nasty neighbours end up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a vent for warm or cool air from our HVAC unit.

      Also, Meike, I wanted to tell you that your Christmas card arrived yesterday!!! February 7th. It's beautiful. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. And the "new to me" plant is picture #4.

      Delete
    3. WHAT!!! Yours was the very first card I posted last year, several weeks before Christmas, knowing that it was going to take a while to reach you… but that‘s more than 2 months!!

      Delete
    4. I don't know what happened! It's never taken that long before, not even close. But it's proudly on display now! :)

      Delete
  4. The plants look happy. I also love being surrounding by greenery. My mother had a jungle in her apartment and every time a stem broke or she trimmed something, she’d stick the pieces in water. Here kitchen counter was usually lined with rooted cuttings waiting to be planted and added to the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to do a plant day. Things are looking bedraggled here in the jungle. Yours look so tidy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to do that with some of my plants. I have the potting soil but have been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can work on these outside and not get soil all over my kitchen sink! Yours look terrific! You know what you are doing, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plants are well cared for and look great in their new soil and pots. Lush green thriving plants make a home and office perfect. Your blooming orchids are very beautiful. You've inspired me to divide and re-pot two of my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I'm thinking of getting myself a rubber tree, if I can figure where to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plants are all so well cared for. Love the bouquet of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful plants! I haven't refreshed my orchids' potting medium in ages. I repotted some of them years ago and now I'm hearing that it's better to leave them in their original clear plastic pots, because the roots photosynthesize and need sunlight. Growing plants is a constant learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so beautiful Jennifer. Green light is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! Plants and such are good for February.
    I used to start my garden seeds indoors on 1 February for this reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Potting-up is one of the simple pleasures of life! Lovely thriving houseplants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your plants look so wonderful. Your orchids... fabulous.

    ReplyDelete