Wednesday, July 22, 2026

July is winding down

I'll be so glad when this summer is over. It's been dreadfully hot, even by South Carolina standards. I seem to get less and less tolerant of the heat the older I get, and I just can't seem to enjoy anything this time of year. Even my friend's pool offers no relief; the water is as warm as a sauna. Forget doing much of anything outside, with heat values over 100 degrees day after day. I realized today that one of the reasons I don't mind working all summer is that I'd just be sitting inside my house hiding out in the a/c. I might as well be at work in the a/c earning money. I get paid for 30 more days of work each year than the teachers do, and I wouldn't be going on vacation during that time anyway. 

I've had a little bit of fun this summer, though. I've read two books recently: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (for my book club) and then the new book by Daniel Mason, Country People. The Midnight Library was a quick read and mildly entertaining, although nothing really special. It did lead to some interesting conversation at book club, though. Country People is wonderful. Daniel Mason wrote one of my all-time favorite novels, North Woods, so I ordered a copy as soon as it was released. I really enjoyed it. Reading is great fun when you're stuck in the house!

Then Marla came over last Saturday afternoon and spent several hours with me. I made strawberry daiquiris from some of the fresh local strawberries I'd put in the freezer back in April, along with some snacks: a hot Rotel dip in the crockpot, cold sour cream/ranch dip, potato and tortilla chips for dipping, King's Hawaiian Ham and Swiss sliders, and caramel turtle brownies. I also made a pitcher of iced tea for when the daiquiris got cloying (which never happened, haha). 

The dogs were absolutely thrilled to see her, as usual. She was actually with me the day I first met George at the Darlington County Humane Society back in 2013. She loves both the dogs like she loves her own pets, and they know it. As soon as I saw her car pull into the driveway I announced, "MARLA IS HERE!" and Poppy and George nearly tripped over themselves running for the door to greet her. 

Speaking of the dogs, we used to sometimes call Ginger "Gingerbread". This afternoon, Marco called Poppy "Gingerbread" and when I said, "That's not Gingerbread, silly. That's Poppy." he sat there for a second and then called her "Baby Bread" instead! How stinkin' cute is that? It makes me so happy that he hasn't forgotten Ginger even though she's been gone almost 6 years now. We still miss her so much.

Today was the first day back at work for the teachers and most of the staff. It was so good to see everyone again and to meet the new teachers coming on board! We started the day with a catered breakfast and some time to catch up, which was nice. After that my office was a popular place, because as the bookkeeper I had the teachers' supply checks to give out! (Every teacher gets a $400 check at the beginning of the year to spend on whatever they want for their classrooms.) 

Tomorrow most of the staff will be at professional development, including me. I'll be up at one of the administrative buildings all day for the annual bookkeepers' meeting/training. It was great the first year or two when I was still a newbie, but these days it's just a lot of the same old, same old and boring PowerPoint presentations. It will be good to see the other district bookkeepers and the accountants, but other than that I wish I didn't have to go. Still, I marvel every day at how lucky I am to have a job I love. I got my updated salary letter the other day and this year I have an annual increase of 8%...a really solid, nice raise! So I won't complain about boring meetings and training sessions. 

The students will return next Wednesday, so summer break is winding down for them, too. 


45 comments:

Margaret said...

I've heard mixed reviews about The Midnight Library but good things about North Woods. Even if I'm not crazy about the book, an insightful discussion is paramount. And tasty treats! Sorry about the nasty weather. We have 90s today but cooling the rest of the week. PNW summer weather is quite nice! I can understand not enjoying staying inside in the A/C all the time. Many people here don't even have it!

ApacheDug said...

This was a nice read... I don't live as far south as you, but yes July was a pretty brutal month heat wise. That book "Country People" sounds interesting, I think I'll put my name on the waiting list for it at my library. Your visit with your friend sounded nice, and boy now I'm craving ham & swiss sliders! So the kids return to school next Wednesday?? Am I missing something here? Don't they get 3 months summer vacation?

ApacheDug said...

PS. Congrats on the upcoming 8% pay increase--that's awesome!

Jennifer said...

In Our district we follow a modified year round schedule...which means the summer break for students is just June and July, but then there's an extra week off in October and again in February. Plus, our Thanksgiving break is a full week.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I got blotto once in Maui on strawberry daiquiris, so they are close to my heart, LOL. I haven't had one since. Maybe it's time I did -- can I come over to your place for one?

Linda Sue said...

Holy cow, that is a quick summer for students and all school folks! Gone are the days of a proper 3.5 month summer, I guess. Baby bread , awwww, so endearing!

Cro Magnon said...

I too have read more books, and filled-in more crosswords, than usual. It's just too hot to be running about outdoors.

Frances said...

It seems strange that your schools are going back next week and ours only finished for 6 weeks last Friday!

Moving with Mitchell said...

That asshole Marco can sure be a sweetheart. Baby Bread! Daiquiri was never my type of drink but they are pretty! Congrats on the solid raise! I miss those days.

Michael said...

Jennifer, I cannot believe it has been six years since Ginger passed. I remember when that happened, and it seems as if it was just yesterday. Wow, time flies. Good luck with the new school year. Your post reminded me of what it was like to return to work after being off for the summer. I think it is great that each teacher gets $400!

Elle Clancy said...

I don't think I've ever finished a Matt Haig book. I try, b/c there is such hype, but his writing is just blah for me. Love Marco! Animals are so smart.

Bob said...

Cocktails and snacks and pay raises and good books! It's all good.

Now, if the heat would go away ....

Ms. Moon said...

I wasn't that enthused about Midnight Library either but I have enjoyed some of his other books.
It's sort of hard to believe that school will soon be starting up again.
I always say we get cabin fever down south, it's just in the summer when we can't go out because of the heat.

Ellen D. said...

The summer has flown by for you, too bad it was so HOT. Thank goodness for A/C and books to read. Hope your school year will be fabulous and trouble free!

jabblog said...

This was so nice to read,but then I always like hearing about other people's pets. Marco is remarkable to remember your long-gone pet. I think dogs also remember scents of past companions.

Steve Reed said...

Eight percent is a GREAT raise! Better than any annual increase I ever got, that's for sure.

Your story about Marco and "Baby Bread" gives me the shivers. Do you think he actually assumed that Poppy is Ginger's baby? Are parrots that smart? In any case I'm pretty impressed!

I read "The Midnight Library" and liked it OK, but it didn't blow me away.

Dave R said...

Next Wednesday! Wow! We never started until after Labor Day when I was in school. I should probably send you one of my books and get your expert opinion on it.

Librarian said...

Has it really been six years since Ginger died?! Unbelievable!
That Marco called Poppy Baby Bread is weird…
In spite of the heat, you are doing nice things and meeting nice people.

Miss Merry said...

Your get-together with Marla sounds delicious. Now that is what summer is about! I feel the same as you, hiding in my house in the ac because it is too blasted hot outside!!! Wishing you a great year at school.

Jennifer said...

I think I'd enjoy the PNW in summer!

Jennifer said...

Sure! I'll whip up a big frosty batch of them and we can sit on the porch. :)

Jennifer said...

The students still get two months. And our schedule allows a week off in October and February as extras!

Jennifer said...

Exactly. I'm so ready for some cool fall weather!

Jennifer said...

That is crazy! :) Our students were done in late May.

Jennifer said...

When I got home from work today, Marco climbed up on my shoulder, leaned against my cheek, and said, "Were you a good boy? Hmmm?"

Jennifer said...

The teachers have to provide receipts showing they bought something related to their classroom needs, but it is very cool! I also find it simply amazing that Ginger could have been gone so long. And I still get teary eyed sometimes when I miss her.

Jennifer said...

Everyone loves Marco!

Jennifer said...

For real. The struggle here in SC is real!

Jennifer said...

Cabin fever is exactly it. I'm ready for cool days and some time outdoors!

Jennifer said...

Thank you Ellen!

Jennifer said...

Marco has a great memory, and he's 19 years old so he's been around for a while. He still surprises us.

Jennifer said...

I'm not sure that he has any concepts of animals having babies, but we call him and the dogs some version of "Baby" all the time...i.e. Baby Bird, Baby Girl, Baby Boy, Baby Pop. He just expanded the concept to "Baby Bread". He called Poppy "Ginger" and "Gingerbread" regularly for the first year or so she was here.

Jennifer said...

Please do! I'd like to read it.

Jennifer said...

Isn't six years CRAZY? I mean, what?! Time goes so fast it's scary sometimes. And Marco makes up crazy phrases all the time.

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much, Miss Merry!

Haggerty said...

So great you've got a job you love. Even in heat of the Carolinas !
Our Scottish heat's a joke by comparison ; we get the odd breezy day.
Yet Glenmore's on fire, at the foot of the Cairngorms, our granite mountains.
And again nothing like Spain and France where thousands flee their homes.

Thanks for the two Daniel Mason recommendations : I'll get them soon.
I see he's a doctor. Bobbie Ann Mason's In Country I read two three times.
She takes me back to the 1980s when I found Raymond Carver & friends.
Richard Ford said no one talks about Carver any more ; I hope he's wrong.

*Concerning the Future of Souls* by Joy Williams is a novel with a heft.
Elizabeth Tallent is still alive. Have you read Elizabeth McCracken ?

Haggerty said...

There's

Haggerty said...

There's Nowhere To Go : Wildfire Terror in Bordeaux/ Rebecca Papin.
YouTube. The Times.
Rebecca is an American in France ; her nearest road's on fire.
So far 300, 000 have fled their homes ; but how many are unable to flee ?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Every teacher gets a $400 check at the beginning of the year to spend on whatever they want for their classrooms." Wow! That's such a great thing and not something I ever experienced in my 38 years of teaching. I would have bought a 24 pack of beer or a thick leather belt with a sturdy steel buckle.

MELODY JACOB said...

South Carolina summers must be beautiful in many ways, but those temperatures would make anyone want to stay indoors with a good book. I loved the little moment with Marla and the dogs, especially how they immediately knew someone special had arrived. Animals really do remember kindness. "Baby Bread" made me smile too; those little comments from children often become the sweetest memories. The strawberry daiquiris and all those snacks sound like the perfect cosy summer afternoon. I also enjoyed hearing about your book choices, especially Country People since you already loved North Woods. I recently shared a new post on my blog about exploring Scotland’s nature and landscapes, and I’d love for you to visit when you have a moment.

John Going Gently said...

For me it’s been a crap month xx

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry, John. Really. Sending you a hug.

Jennifer said...

Re: Daniel Mason....I'm not sure how anyone could have so many diverse talents! He's a Harvard grad, a psychiatrist, and an associate professor of psychiatry at Stanford. AND he writes beautifully, and has several wonderful novels under his belt. AND he's pretty good looking. It just doesn't seem fair for all that to be concentrated in one human being! :)

Jennifer said...

They do have to provide me with receipts to scan and turn in to our accounting department...so beer and belts wouldn't go over very well!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I'll go have a look at your blog!