Well, I've come down with my annual back-to-school sickness, a bad cold that's left me feeling like a wrung-out dishrag. A cold in this heat is just the worst! I stayed home yesterday on what turned out to be another sweltering hot day. Heat indexes were up around 112 degrees again. I've never been so sick of summer as I am this year. We always think of colds and flu as being a fall/winter thing, but when 700 students come back all at once, the time of year doesn't matter; illness will spread.
It could be worse. Last week one child after another showed up in the office to see the nurse throwing up and with diarrhea. Several of the younger ones (kindergarten especially) soiled their clothes. They couldn't pay me enough to be a school nurse! Or any kind of nurse, really.
I'm feeling a bit better this morning so back to work I go.
15 comments:
Sorry to hear you caught a bug but glad to hear you are feeling a bit better already. Take care!
It's part of the entire back-to-school ritual, isn't it? How do you do it?
Always happy to see a new blog from you, but this sucks! Very sorry Jennifer I sure hope you're feeling like your old self again real soon. PS I love kids but if I had to be near hundreds of them every day I'd be coming to work in one of those hazmat suits!
A frightful cold in your heat ! What rotten luck.
Here we say that teachers catch infections from the children.
If I overstay in a crowded cafe I get a persistent dry cough.
It comes from droplets hanging in the air ; Doc gives me antibiotics.
I wish you a full recovery, Jennifer.
Kids are walking germ sacks, it's true.
Oh dear! Poorly at the start of the school year. Perhaps you should consider wearing a space helmet for work in order to thwart children's germs.
So sorry, but no surprise. It’s your time of year. The poor school nurse. I first read that paragraph as the nurse throwing up and with diarrhea!
So sorry you got the first school bug of the year. You are right - it is a miserable summer.
My grandson has six players on his football team out with a stomach virus. I hope it doesn't find me!
Wishing you, the other teachers, and all the kids well. Also, hope the parents are wise about when to keep their kids home!
I'm a retired nurse, but was never, ever a school nurse - on purpose!
Hugs!
Glad to read you're feeling better toots. But don't feel bad. I come down with my weekly back-to-work Monday sickness. Every week.
My 'Summer Cold' started just over a month ago, and I still have the remnants today. I still have a dry cough, and a pain in my upper chest. Just when I was really looking forward to enjoying Summer with my family, some kind person passed-on their germs to me. Thank you!
Oh dear, poor you! Poor sick kids, and poor school nurse... No, I wouldn't want to be any kind of nurse, either. I admire and utterly respect anyone who works in health care; it is such important work but I'm a chicken when it comes to this kind of thing.
During the worst of our heat wave, when my sister and I were about to leave for our Yorkshire holiday, my Mum had a bad cold, too. She was coughing and sneezing like there was no tomorrow. Then my sister caught it from her, but thankfully she just about managed to get over it before we left.
Get properly well soon!
Children are generous little beasts, aren't they? I hope you're feeling better now. Colds are never nice but seem so out of season in the summer.
There was something going around a few weeks back and luckily I dodged it. Nothing worse than a cold when it's hot!!!
I'm glad you're feeling better. It seems so wrong to have a cold in sweltering weather. Parents also go down with everything kids bring home. I remember being sick most of my son's first preschool year. He did much better!
Post a Comment