Next week Gregg has an appointment coming up that's kind of a big deal. He's getting almost full mouth dental implants, and Thursday will be the worst part of the process: lots of extractions and then temporary "immediate" dentures to wear while his mouth heals. The final placement of the implants won't happen until January, so until then he's anticipating a very rough time.
We picked the highest rated local practice to do the work. My regular dentist is there, and I've always been really satisfied with them. In addition to everyday dentistry, they do oral surgery and all kinds of dental reconstructive work, and their reputation is excellent.
They're also one of the pricier local options. I tend to think you get what you pay for, and it's worth it to me to be assured that something as major as dental implants will be done right. We have dental insurance, but it only covers about 20% of the total cost. To trim some more off the price, we've taken advantage of the 7% discount they offer if you prepay everything up front with cash or a check. I wrote two large checks last week that cover almost everything.
So. Much. Money. Thousands of dollars.
We've been planning and saving for this and expecting it, so it's not a shock, but wow. Writing checks that big makes me wince. They've assured Gregg he's going to love the final results, and I sincerely hope that's true. So, with all that being said, this morning an unexpected package landed on our doorstep, addressed to Gregg. We were confused because neither of us had ordered anything. What could it be?
Check this out. Have you ever?
The dental practice sent Gregg a gift basket with candy, cookies, and
peanuts "with love and gratitude".
Friends, I howled. That just struck me as the funniest thing ever. "Thank you for spending a ton of money with us, and oh yeah, here's some candy and peanuts....eat 'em while you still can!" Gregg and I both got a good laugh out of that.
(It's still a nice gesture, though).

41 comments:
At 73, I'm going to stick with the teeth I have. Be patient with him, he'll be eating baby food for the next 2 months.
That's hilarious! Are you sure candy and peanuts didn't get him here in the first place?? But I do wish him well and a good outcome.
Chemotherapy and its effects on his gums got him here.
Yup. But then he'll be able to eat anything he wants!
The gift really was both sweet and funny, I earnestly hope things go well, please keep us updated. I'm both a little worried for him and envious. I was all set to get 3 implants in 2024 when I got long covid, and had to postpone. I know they're very expensive, it sucks when you have the money but not the health requirements. Anyway, good luck guys. 🙂
wow! what a gesture! good for them!
I hope everything goes well for Gregg, but I'm also concerned about you, Jennifer. Taking care of someone who is in a lot of pain is not easy. Try to be well rested yourself going into this. I laughed when I saw the basket and wondered if it includes candies that are especially bad for your teeth, such as caramels.
Love,
Janie
That "gift" is ironic isn't it...but , like ou said, nice gesture. Implants will be great for him , They have to be taken care of so that they do not fail. That happened to my friend after having spent a gazillion dollars - his jaw bone rejected the implants. --- no refund---
I wish Gregg all the best, it's a long time to wait before the final phase. Enjoy the sweets whilst he can!!!
Here’s a bunch of candy that will rot your teeth. But you don’t have to worry about that anymore! Hope the extractions are not completely awful and that recovery is better than expected. What an ordeal. But imagine the Hollywood smile when it’s done.
I didn't want to say I laughed at the peanuts and candy but since you did, I can admit it now!!
Well, gee. I mean, thanks for spending thousands and thousands of dollars with us and as recognition for that we send you candy and peanuts? Peanuts? I'm not sure they thought this out entirely.
It's a cute package but it really doesn't make sense before oral surgery. Best of luck to Gregg and hope the process is as painless as possible!
That IS funny -- I had the same reaction. Candy? From the dentist?!
I hope the procedure isn't too onerous and Gregg loves the results!
I about to do almost the same implant thing so I am following you to see how it goes for you.
It is a nice gesture, but I would laugh like you did. A local OB used to send all his new mothers a flower arrangement in the hospital after giving birth. I had friends who were so honored to receive them. I had just a simple family doctor who did not send flowers but my bill was much lower, too. I am sure the flowers were tax deductible.
My husband had to have all his teeth removed at once but it was done in hospital so it would be covered by our free medical coverage here in Canada. He was totally put out and a half hour later he was lying there with temporary dentures. He was not a candidate for implants so had to wait a while for another set. They never fit well and he hated them but hey ho. He never did complain about the removal process though. Good luck Greg, you will look fabulous. Gigi in Toronto
Cue Alannis! 'It's like RAAAAAA-EEEEEE-AAAAAAINNN...'
I have my temporary plate (upper) right now and it is misery. It simply doesn't fit. I carry the "glue' with me at all times. (Use zinc free versions) But the worst pain was gone in a week. As sick as I was about the extraction part (I opted for no anesthesia due to the fact that it makes me sick and I had a long car ride home), it was over in a half hour.
Many of our large expenditures (and savings) have been spent on my husband's teeth over the last 10 years. Money well spent, as he can now eat confidently and also - he feels valued by me. Odd stuff to say, but I think you know what I mean.
Gregg's a brave guy to go into this dental tunnel of his own free will. He is lucky to have a good woman supporting him. And hey- it's only money!
I'm sorry you had to postpone. Are the implants still possible for you down the road somewhere?
A bit tone deaf, but nice.
Thank you Janie. Gregg's having a hard time with this, as you can imagine. And when he's in pain he's not at his best (who is?) but compared to the major cancer treatments he's had in the past, this shouldn't be too bad. I hope not. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off work to look after him.
Yikes. That's a scary thought.
Thanks Cro!
I wish he didn't have to wait until January to be completely done. It's going to be a long four months.
It's okay Bob! It IS funny.
The most generous explanation I can think of is that they're saying, "When we're done with you, you can enjoy ANYTHING!" Sigh.
Thank you for the kind words, Ellen.
The "with love and gratitude" on the card was what really sent me over the edge.
I will be sure to keep the blog updated!
Flowers are nice, but lower bills are nicer!
Was it just the temporary dentures that he hated and that never fit well? Because they've already warned Gregg that he's not going to like the temporaries and they're only there so he won't be without teeth while he heals.
How long do you have to wait for the permanent plate? And I do hope you're much happier with it. Thank you for sharing your experience. I read it to Gregg along with some of the other replies.
I read this comment to Gregg to encourage him. Thank you! I hope he's going to be as happy as your husband with the final results.
He really doesn't have much choice, Neil. He's been putting this off for years, and his gum problems have gotten worse and worse. (He never gets cavities, it's all gum issues). I'll be taking as good care of him as I can. Thank you!
6 months. I received an email saying it was time to replace the temporary plate. I was joyous(it was only 4 months)...and called to make the first appointment. They were mystified that I I had received the email
I am now back to waiting two pretty months. 😔
Man, you gotta love that! I am 100% behind your decision to go with the higher end. You're right - you do get what you pay for!
Priceless!!! :-D
But seriously, I know what you mean when it's such a lot of money you have to pay, even when you know it's necessary and will be worth it, all going well. I felt like that when I had my eye operations. They HAD to be done, I had no realistic choice in the matter, but it was my choice to pay for the best professor in my region to perform the surgery, using the most advanced technology. Many a month's wage went into this, but like you, I was prepared for it. And the result? My eyesight is better than it ever was since I was about six years old.
Hope things are going well!
Thank you
Post a Comment