Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving for two

Thanksgiving was quiet and very, very nice this year. Husband and I stayed home and spent a lazy day together. We wore our pjs most of the day, watched movies, and then in the early evening we had a small feast. (I did most of the cooking the night before, so I didn't have to spend all day in the kitchen).

Pretty autumn table for two.
 
 
The star of the show. It was the smallest whole turkey
I could find. We'll be eating leftovers all weekend.
 
Broccoli salad with broccoli, shredded carrots,
red onions, walnuts, and dried cranberries mixed with a
 creamy, slightly sweet coleslaw dressing.


This picture of the baked macaroni and cheese I made doesn't do it justice. This is a sinful recipe. There are literally pounds of cheese, butter, whole milk, eggs, and pasta all baked to a rich, golden, bubbling mass of decadent lusciousness. I call it a heart attack in a pan. We only eat this once or twice a year for that reason.

Husband's favorite: deviled eggs.
 Required at all holiday meals. And homemade
cranberry sauce is mandatory when there's turkey!


Isn't that pretty? Those are two dessert dishes of Watergate salad. It's a light side dish/dessert that consists of pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, Cool Whip, and pecans. It may sound strange, but it's actually delicious and a vintage holiday recipe in the South. I also made a pecan pie and a chocolate pudding pie.

It was a great meal, and a fun and relaxing way to spend Thankgiving. Late in the evening we took Ginger for a cold, starlit walk (which we needed after all that food!) and then I cracked open a bottle of champagne. It was a perfect day.

3 comments:

  1. That Turkey looks divine. For me the leftovers are almost the best bit; the opportunities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Turkey sandwiches are delicious, and I may make soup tomorrow with the last of the meat :)

      Delete
  2. I missed this post because it appeared when I was between computers last month, but I just had to comment on how thoroughly fantastic your holiday meal looks! The broccoli salad and Watergate salad are both making my mouth water in particular. Yum-yum-yum!!! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much absolutely lovely congratulations (re: being crowned a Queen of Vintage).

    ReplyDelete