Saturday, May 26, 2018

What a week!

It's funny to me how life can chug along in the same old ruts for months on end, with very little change, and then suddenly a week comes along that's just jam packed with life altering events and news.

Of course, there was the birth of my friend's daughter earlier this week, which was a very happy event, but not unexpected. That's been wonderful (and thank you all for all the kind comments and congratulations which I will pass on to Marla) but little did I expect there was plenty more news to come.

Wednesday night we got included in a group email along with Gregg's siblings informing us that their mom's estate is about to be settled, which means we need to make some decisions about how to wisely manage what's been left to us. It's not a fortune, but it's a significant windfall and we want to make the most of it. If we're careful, we can make a very good down payment on a home and still have a modest nest egg left over to put towards retirement (or emergencies). I think we both have mixed emotions about it all. I know I do. The worst part, for me, is the slightly guilty feeling that we're benefiting from his mom's death. And then there's the stress of knowing we're facing a bit of a learning curve regarding money management and also buying a house. So, again, good news, but this time received with mixed feelings.

Thursday morning weird events started to unfold at work. I won't go into details here except with what is public knowledge and in the newspapers and all over social media anyway. Our principal is out on administrative leave after turning herself in to the police and getting arrested. The only facts that are reported in the press are that at 4am last weekend, she was caught on camera crashing her car into another car and then fleeing the scene of the accident. Her mugshot is all over the internet, and I heard yesterday that students had gotten hold of it and were texting it to each other. Can you imagine what a nightmare this has been? There's one week of school left, exams are over, so the kids are already wild. Now they have a mugshot of the principal adding fuel to the fire. Crazy.

When I got home last night, I was ready to relax and have some downtime from such an exhausting week full of news and events, but there was still more news to come. I got a text from my aunt about 8pm letting me know that my 92 year old grandmother is dying and hospice has been brought in to care for her. She was in the hospital over Mother's Day weekend due to bleeding in her stomach, which was the result of blood thinners she had been taking. I knew her health was failing, but I didn't realize it was quite that bad. My aunt said she's comfortable and sleeps most of the time now, and it could be days or it could be weeks or even months. I'll have to get up there to see her as soon as school is out next weekend. Another dramatic piece of news.

How's that for a crazy, eventful, up-and-down week?


18 comments:

  1. Some days/weeks are better than others. Thank goodness you have some happy mixed in.
    Enjoy your weekend off.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains, it pours. Or so the saying goes. I doubt your principal will be coming back next year. It sounds a little like it could be a story line on that Danish show, Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a crazy week. But imagine how much crazier it is for your principal! (What a story!) I hope you do get to visit your grandmother soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, you have got a lot going on in your life right now! Never a dull moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, too much for one week. I am sorry for your principal's dilemma, but the students must be having a field day. Just find a happy house and Gregg's mother will be a happy mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students ARE having a field day. Unfortunately for the rest of the staff, we have to deal with the fallout.

      Delete
  6. Wow. Good mixed with bad and some you can't tell the difference. Glad you're grandmother is not suffering. Strange story about the principal. Congrats on the windfall. You can be grateful to Gregg's mother. Nothing there to feel guilty about. Wishing you a less eventful but happy week to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't think of the money as benefitting from your mother-in-law's death. Think of it as benefitting from her LIFE. She wanted you to have it. I'm sure she would be thrilled to imagine you and your husband using that money to make your lives better.
    And whoa- that was a week. I feel bad for that principal. Sounds like she needs some help and I hope she finds it.
    May your grandmother have peaceful days and nights from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life
    Is a baseball " curveball"
    That's all x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you have given great thought on how to spend your inheritance. Just remember that your MIL left it to you so that you could have something that would give you joy. Don’t feel guilty, just enjoy and be happy. That is what she wanted.

    I also want to thank you again for your gift of support when I was so down. Your kindness meant the world to me. I do not think I can go back to that blog again as he supported her horrible rant, no matter that I have been a faithful reader and blog friend for over seven years. He should not have said anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, you shouldn't feel guilty about spending your Mother in Law's money. If she left it to you, she wanted you to have it and spend it as you wish.

    Secondly, I had to chuckle about your Headmistress. One day respected citizen, the next a wanted criminal. I rather like it, and can understand the amusement of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As sad as it all is, I have to admit I chucked a little bit too. When I was a young teenager, news of our principal getting arrested would have been the absolute highlight of the whole school year!

      Delete
  11. Goodness! What a week. Your head must be spinning. Decisions, drama and dealing with the news of your grandmother.
    As Colette commented, it never rains but it pours.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what your headmistress was doing out at that time of night. Do let us have the story when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had your principal been drinking alcohol? I bet that's the reason she panicked and left the accident scene. It's a shame that her career in education may have ended in that fateful moment.

    From what you have said of Gregg's mum, I feel sure that she would have wanted you to use the legacy money wisely to better yourselves and she would surely have applauded you for considering using it for a down payment on your own home. If there were such a place as heaven she would be smiling down upon you at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, I suspect alcohol was involved. Her personal life has been extremely messy starting with a bitter divorce last year, and more recently, rumors of her drinking and partying have been rampant. I feel so bad for her. She has a reputation for being difficult but she was always kind to me. And she gave me my job, which I love, so there's that. I'm very grateful to her.

      It's a shame for her career (at least in this town) to end like this, but maybe she can get some help. And if she was drinking and driving, she could have killed someone so thank goodness she's had a wake up call. Too bad her embarrassment is so very public....again, I feel sorry for her.

      Delete