Wednesday, August 29, 2018

What I've been up to

It's been a busy week or two. I've been so tired at the end of the day that I've been collapsing into bed before 10pm most nights. There's been hardly any time to blog, or to write comments on the blogs I read. Now that the second week of school (for the kids) is underway things are starting to settle down a little. Hopefully by this weekend things won't feel so hectic anymore.

I did write a post about meeting with a realtor, but it was so boring that I couldn't bear to publish it. Suffice it to say we're in the process of working with a loan officer to see if we can get a mortgage in the first place, then we'll really be in on our way.

In other news, it's been like wild kingdom around here. We had our second sighting of a fox across the street from our house the other night while out walking the dogs. It was a real surprise given that our neighborhood is in the middle of town, but a small herd of deer live one street down so I guess we shouldn't be but so surprised. Then, the night after the fox sighting, Ginger caught a opossum in our backyard! Gregg dragged her away from it and made her come in the house, leaving the poor thing lying in the backyard, looking dead. It was apparently "playing opossum", though, because the next morning it was gone. Thank goodness. But seriously, what gives with all the animal sightings? We'd be happy to see a fox except that they can carry rabies, and so they're better off in the country. And the dogs go crazy when they see something so unusual!

Speaking of the dogs, they've been sad when I leave for work each morning. We all enjoyed the lazy days of summer together and I'm sure they wonder why I choose to leave every day, again. They know nothing of the concept of "work".

Image may contain: people sitting, dog, table and indoor
They heard the word "treat".

What have you been up to lately?

11 comments:

  1. Your dogs faces are beautiful.

    We have lots of wildlife in my yard. The raccoons are sometimes annoying and stare into my windows but mostly we enjoy having all kinds of animals around. As the land keeps getting developed, there is less and less room for the animals. I do not mind sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Starting Over has it- we're crowding out the animals and also, we've killed off their natural predators. The bears and big cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just this morning a bobcat walked through my yard while I was reading your post.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  4. This morning I saw a ninja turtle walking a Maltese and a bichonpoo in front of my house. Oh, that was just Balder Half and the furbabies. Never mind. We do get a harem of wild turkey hens and their tom/pimp. They seem to find a whole lot of stuff to eat in our law...er..weeds. Cujo the Mad Maltese, likes to eat their droppings. Ah, the circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The extra wildlife is interesting. Like Starting Over, I've noticed the new housing starts all around are pushing more and more wild life from the former fields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute looks on your dog’s faces. I bet the kids would go wild if you had a bring your pet to work day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also good the dogs don't know how much they drove you crazy all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Franklin chased a possum out from behind the garage a while back. It played possum in the garage. Penelope wanted to check it out, but I made her come in. When I looked again, it was gone.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice picture of the boys. Loads of urban Foxes in the UK. WE used to see them almost every night. They make a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Settling into work after such a long time off is not easy, but I am sure it will all quieten down a bit now, and I know you still like your job a lot.
    Plenty of urban foxes here, too; Stuttgart (which, at more than 1 million inhabitants, is not a small town) has an estimated fox population of 5,000. As the others have said above, we have driven the wildlife off their natural habitat, so where else can they go? Also, our gardens and dustbins/trash cans attract them, as do our pets (for prey or for mates).
    To answer your last question, what we have been up to, look at my next-to-last post - it has the same headline as yours :-)

    ReplyDelete