Saturday, February 18, 2023

A sweet kind of day

Happy Saturday everyone! I woke up in a great mood this morning because it's a bright sunny day and the beginning of a week off! Now I can sit down and enjoy my blog and catch up with all my blogger buddies.

Last week I put up a post, complaining about work, but then after a wise word of advice from Joanne I unpublished it. The last thing I need is to have someone I work with stumble upon my blog and take offense at something I've been venting about! In fact, I went back and unpublished some other recent posts. Better safe than sorry, and all my regular readers know about the issues I've had this year anyway. Suffice to say that things haven't gotten much better, and I'm still looking for a promotion elsewhere. No one can argue with a person wanting to better themselves, right? *

I started my tomato and pepper seeds on Sunday afternoon! I want them to be a good planting-out size by mid-April. Next week while I'm off I plan to sow lettuce and spinach in part of the raised bed, fertilize the fig tree and blueberry bushes, and attempt to build a compost bin out of wooden pallets. Gregg's been bringing them (the pallets) home from the pet store for me. Even someone of my limited (nonexistent, really) building skills should be able to attach hinges, hammer in nails, and screw in screws. Directions for simple bins are all over the internet, and I need a good, free source of compost! So we'll see what I can throw together. Of course I'll share pictures of the finished project if I manage to build something use-able.

I've been on a bit of a reading spree lately. I haven't posted a book review in a long time, but I'd like to write one or two next week if time allows. My book club met last week, but unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this month's selection enough to even finish it. I mainly went to see everyone and to partake (sparingly) of the treats. I'm still plugging along with my efforts to lose weight and get healthier, and it's working! Since the beginning of January, I've lost 15 pounds! And less exciting (but just as important) the last time I had my blood pressure checked it was the best it had been in over a year. I've just been eating very sensibly, walking more, and avoiding alcohol, and it's working without too much angst on my part. I've just got to keep sticking with it, and hopefully this will be a very good year for my health. 

I'll end on some photos I've taken recently with my phone. Have a great day, everyone!


Luella's glorious tree is in full bloom next door. We sure miss her.


When a small budding branch hanging over the road got knocked down by a car, I brought in a small bit to see if the flowers would open in water. As you can see, they did!


Our neighborhood turkey, Theodora, paid our yard a visit last week. Yes, she's still around.


Flowers I got for Valentine's Day, and also a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts I picked up this morning. Marla and her little girl Carsen are coming over this afternoon to share the sweet treats with me! (We had gotten a K.K. gift card at Christmas, and I've been saving it for a special occasion since I'm on a diet. Whatever we don't eat this afternoon will go home with Marla and Carsen}.

*On Wednesday an open position was posted on the district website that I'm interested in. It would be at another school, and would also be a promotion for me. Please wish me luck! I had to submit three references, and the three people I asked were all very encouraging. One of them was the principal who first hired me. After she left our school, she got promoted to one of the top positions in the district. When I called her and asked to use her as a reference, she said she would be "delighted" to do that for me. Then she said, "You would do a great job at that school!". That made me feel so good! Even if this particular job doesn't work out, with so many good references and people looking out for me, sooner or later something will. 

35 comments:

  1. Good luck and prayers. Wise to avoid those types of blogs…

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good, upbeat post, Jennifer!
    Luella‘s tree is simply gorgeous. Well done reg. your health - as you say, now it‘s about sticking to your regime (allowing for a treat every now and then).
    How nice that your former principal is so encouraging, and others, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was reminded how many higher-ups in the district know me and know about my work ethic, and it's comforting to know they have my back. Now it's just a matter of the right position opening up. I have faith that there's something better out there for me!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the KK donuts and good luck with your job application!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than a Krispy Kreme doughnut! We really enjoyed them, although Carsen was only interested in licking off the icing. :)

      Delete
    2. We first discovered KK at Myrtle years ago…yummm

      Delete
  4. what tomato seeds did you decide upon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scroll down a couple of posts and you'll see! I wrote all about them a while back.

      Delete
  5. In order to put the pallets together as securely as possible, may I suggest that you type "screwing techniques" or simply "how to screw" into YouTube. You should then get directions to a whole bunch of helpful videos. Fingers crossed for the impending job application .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That would yield some...interesting...results! Thanks, Neil.

      Delete
  6. I love this post! You sound hopeful and happy and that is wonderful. I adore the magnolia you brought home. It is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color of those magnolia flowers! That tree is a credit to the whole neighborhood. There are several more of them around, but Luella's is the nicest.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the weight loss! Beautiful tree! Theodora is simply gorgeous! The flowers ain't to shabby either! Good luck with the job. Sometimes a good reference is all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I'm surprised I've had so much luck with the weight loss since it hasn't seemed too terribly hard. I still have a good ways to go, but sticking with it should continue to yield results. And I appreciate any good vibes re: the job that I can get!

      Delete
  8. How my fingers are crossed for you. I will spend my week visualizing you "promoted" to the new job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joanne! I'm sure that will help. :)

      Delete
  9. Good luck with the job. I'm sending 'vibes'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe the magnolia tree bloomed already in February?!?!?!?! Is that normal? but no doubt it is beautiful!!!!!! A shame you can't get a branch to root, or however it germinates to start our own tree!!!

    I sure hope you find a place to work to make you happier. Nothing like going in to work and look forward to going in each day. I know you'll find something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those magnolias are the earliest blooming trees in this area, but they ARE early this year. We haven't had much of a winter.

      Delete
  11. Healthy blood pressure ... Great news! Good idea to be careful what you share publicly. That magnolia in a glass is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was almost as excited about my blood pressure being in the "ideal" range as I was about the pounds I've lost so far!

      Delete
  12. If all the hopes and prayers of your blog friends work, you should def. get that job. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all the hopes and prayers! More than you know!

      Delete
  13. You are doing all the right things, so I hope that your successful job application is the icing on the cake (or doughnut!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icing was the only part of the doughnuts that my friend's little girl was interested in eating! :)

      Delete
  14. That is a fantastic achievement with the weight loss. I feel like I've cut some naughty things out of my life for the past few months but have seen very little difference on the scales. I suspect I need to exercise a bit more.
    I'm sending positive vibes re. the job application. I feel something wonderful is coming down the pipe for you.
    Enjoy the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a happy, positive post, Jennifer! I am so glad for you and I am confident that good things are coming your way! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen! I'm trying to keep an optimistic outlook on the job front.

      Delete
  16. I love that bud with the white center and pink outer color, and that great endorsement for you by your former boss. I am praying for a great job to come your way. Congrats on the weight loss, I would like to lose a few pounds, it is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend! My former boss is now very high up in the district, so I hope her endorsement will help me land a better job. I, too, love the color of the magnolia flower. So pretty!

      Delete
  17. Best of luck on the job application. I noticed that you'd unpublished a post -- as you said, better safe than sorry. (Though I wish I'd seen it before you unpublished it because I'm curious what it said! LOL)

    ReplyDelete