Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Warm temperatures, early spring, garden work

The temperatures today and tomorrow will almost hit record highs: 80 and 85 degrees! Unbelievable weather for February, even around here. And we're known for getting freezes as late as the end of March (and mid-April one memorable year) so that's going to pose a real danger to all the blooming fruit trees for the next few weeks. Everything is early, as I mentioned yesterday. I sure hope the state's peach crop doesn't suffer a late freeze! I love and look forward to fresh peaches in the summer.

Anyway, as odd as it is to wear shorts at this time of year, I won't deny I'm really enjoying myself. The dogs are, too, judging by how much time they're spending either on the screened porch or out in the backyard. I took them both for a good walk this morning, and we all enjoyed that. 


"Just take the damn picture already!"

On Monday I called a local greenhouse/plant nursery and asked about blueberry bushes. More specifically, another rabbiteye variety that I can plant for cross pollination with the three I planted last year. The woman I spoke with said she'd have the fruit tree expert call me back, and this morning he did. A nice guy named Ryan who seems to know a lot about blueberries, and it so happened he had the very variety I was looking for in stock! He told me he'd put the two best ones on hold for me, since I didn't plan to go out there today.

A couple of hours later I got a call from a sweet lady who works in records at the district office, asking me for a favor. She needed a student's birth certificate scanned and emailed to her, and the student goes to our school. I really like this lady (she's been very kind and helpful to me this school year) so I agreed to go up to my school and take care of it. It only took a minute, and since I was out and about anyway, I decided to go pick up my blueberries before coming back home. Now I have a total of five blueberry bushes! Two Premier, two Climax, and one Pink Lemonade. I'm looking forward to lots of blueberries in the next year or two once they gain some real size.

Yesterday I fertilized all of our fruit trees, the three original blueberries, the fig, the crabapple, and the pomegranate. With these warm temperatures I don't think it's too early. Later this afternoon I'm going to plant the new blueberries and then sow some lettuce in the raised bed. Maybe some carrots and radishes, too. Early spring salads will be nice.

I also started a few more tomato and pepper seeds yesterday since they've been so slow to germinate. Now that I've got extra seeds started they'll probably all pop up at once and leave me with too many extras (like last year). I can always find someone to give seedlings away to, though. In fact, I had a great conversation with Ryan about heirloom tomatos, so I may take him a plant or two in a few weeks as a "thank you" for the fruit tree advice he gave me. 

I'm lucky to have had such nice weather during my time off for garden work. Alas, the daffodils I planted didn't come back this year. I'm pretty convinced the deer ate them, which reminds me of something: I've got to get to work building a wire cage to go around the tiny crabapple tree. Once it starts growing leaves the deer will have a feast if I don't do something! So there's my next garden project for this upcoming weekend, a deer-proof cage. If only I could completely forget about doing housework and concentrate on the garden! I'd much rather work outside than in.

17 comments:

  1. You are making perfect use of your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to soak up as much sunshine and fresh air as possible! When I go back to work, there's only 12 weeks left in the school year, and one of those we'll be out for Easter/spring break. I'll be so glad to finish!

      Delete
  2. Blueberries are super!!! It's supposed to hit 75 tomorrow, but then drop back down into the high 40s. I can live with that for a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all five of our blueberries mature and produce well, we should have loads of fruit, even with the losses we'll have thanks to hungry squirrels and birds!

      Delete
  3. Spring is such a busy time for gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Save the housework. Just be outside and real pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne is right - save the housework. Don't worry - it won't go anywhere but will patiently wait for you until you are ready to go inside :-D
    When my parents still had their allotment, I prefered to simply enjoy the garden and take care of the little housework required inside the "hut", such as washing the dishes after we'd had coffee and cake etc.
    It is nice to come across someone like Ryan who does not only know his stuff, but is also friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually gathered my resolve late yesterday afternoon and spent two or three hours cleaning. Our pest control guy comes today to spray the house, and I wanted everything to be clean and nice. And it is! I dusted and vacuumed and mopped, cleaned the main bathroom, and put fresh sheets on the bed. Now I can enjoy the day today without chores hanging over my head!

      Delete
  6. Who says you can’t forget about housework -- for a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Meike, above. We have the pest control guy coming out today, and I wanted the house to be clean. He comes out quarterly and makes sure we don't have any creepy crawlies in our home--money well spent because I can't abide bugs or rodents! :)

      Delete
  7. OH Jennifer. I am so jealous of your weather. Yesterday, we had snow, sleet, freezing rain, two thunderstorms and some very amazing wind all in the course of one day. Nobody wearing shorts here, either inside or outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a burst of vicarious pleasure reading about your plans for the garden. Spring is my favourite time of year as well. Two days ago I was discovering daffodil shoots in my garden. Today, there's a foot of snow on the ground...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you are enjoying your vacation. I absolutely love SC. Started going to Myrtle in 1973...we fell in love with it. In 1994, I taught RMcN Jr. High...then since I just did not love Jr. High...taught Marlboro Co. High. Lake City group talked me into coming back and teaching at high school. (Think I told you this.) Left in 1999 to go closer to daughter and family (7hours)...I was so close to Myrtle...went often...it would be great if you could get in that district. It was fantastic...they are so supportive of staff...I adore the new superintendent. Of course, that was a long time ago for me...I taught 13 1/2 more years in my state of WV...subbed 5 more years...loved loved loved...the best career ever...although I was quite old when I started. lol...Good luck on finding a new job. I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in Florida when you wrote this post, so I know exactly what you mean about the unseasonable warmth. It was downright HOT! I'm shocked the deer ate your daffodils. I thought daffodils were impervious to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been in Texas long enough not to trust this warm weather in first of March..in 2-3 weeks we'll be up to our ass in either water or snow...

    ReplyDelete